The Car Thread

MadManMike

Nah, I kind of like them, but they're not what I want, they're not 60s/70s/80s, they're not even slightly quirky or characterful and above all, they're common as muck. Plus the estates have tiny boots. I'm talking more along the lines of a 240 being the sensible end of the scale. Think older and stupider, I'm not interested in performance, just practicality and quirkiness. Think older, I bet you've got a few good suggestions, think of all the cool old stuff you used to like before settling down to 90's tat. ;)

Spent all of today sorting out all the bullshit that I now know comes with an insurance claim.

Doctors have given me a load of drugs, I have called the insurance company several times, spoke to a legal firm dealing on behalf of the insurance company and also had to call both Wiltshire and Hampshire police. The guy driving the mini bus has been charged and given a fixed penalty for driving without care. Although it was Wiltshire police who attended the accident it turns out they had to take the guy to Andover police station in Hampshire because where the accident happened was just inside the Hampshire border. I also went to the police compound to remove some stuff from my vehicle before it gets taken away.

Anyway I'm going to have a nice hot bath now, here are some photos in daylight:

post-223-0-56313300-1362084800_thumb.jpgpost-223-0-77193100-1362084859_thumb.jpgpost-223-0-12963300-1362084827_thumb.jpgpost-223-0-95809400-1362084814_thumb.jpg

I remember the A3's from the era had a pretty good ncap/whatever it was back in the day rating...? As the Leon and A3 are so similar they probably perform the same under crashes.

Glad you got out of it with a light injuries, real shame about the car...

On the topic of practicality. I'm LOVING a 5 door, and being a small estate I can put my bike in there without having the dismantle anything, just chuck it all in.

I think if a car is originally designed to be a 3 door then yes it looks better in 3 door as opposed to 5, it's a similar thing with 'when hatches are turned into convertables or them CC cabriolets things' just looks weird and off proportion though there can be a couple of exceptions.

Steve

am after peoples thoughts, especially as some of you drive a mix of fwd and rwd at different stages of tuning.

ive got a corrado vr6 which i love and is standard with konis on. im at that stage of should i throw a load of money at it or tart it up and look to upgrade in the future. my reason is if i throw money at it, visually it will look spot on in my eyes and i love the car in that sense but i feel that if i up the power i am wasting my time as fwd will only take so much before just spinning up and under steering everywhere? when i could look to get rwd or awd.

Do you ever read back what you type, Jardo? "my car IS an LCR, it's just in no way similar, but it DOES make more power now I've chucked a fortune at it!" :lol:

Amuses me anyway, keep it up!

That crash is kinda toilet but at least you're ok, hopefully you'll be compensated handsomely!

And don't piss money into a 'rado, for the reasons you already said, get something with driven rear wheels, you won't regret it!

Edited by Jolfa
  • Like 1

I disagree hugely; to the extent that I feel I could make a huge post that nobody would read.

FWD is good and if you are a competent driver (insert comment about me not being one) there is no reason for FWD to be a disadvantage below the 230/240ish bh/ton mark (as a very rough figure), so long as you have supporting modifications.

For a daily driver my car is within the "too powerful for FWD" stereotype that people of the internet have, but in reality once you get the hang of the different driving style needed for a powerful FWD it isn't hard to drive and it is actually quite hard to spin the wheels up unless you drive like an idiot.

And more importantly a VR6 Corrado is cooler than every single car posted in this thread, and that's got to count for something.

Edited by Pashley26

Your car has 245bhp...thats hardly too powerful for FWD, lol. Lots of modern hot hatches have more than that from the factory (Astra VXR and Focus RS to name just two).

I think the percieved "limit" of 300bhp is more sensible.

Although all this talk of it being "too much" is, as you say, driver dependant. Nick was running rings around 4wd and RWD cars at Donnington Park at the weekend. Not even sneaking past, we're talking full on destroying.

Agreed on the VR6 Corrado being cool as chief though. If I had to have an older car, that's the exact one I'd have!

Vr6 turbos are a thing of beauty but its a waste of time unless you get 4motion running gear and alter car, but they sound great! Any thing with a turbo in my eyes is the dogs dangles. Its hard to decide because as you say they are super cool, I think so anyway. I could get 240bhp out of it with out to much tuning and it would be a fast car at that. Or I could look at something like a e46 330 which would take a lot more tuning and still be a daily.

You know Dan on VT who is building the turbo R32? He has been posting some rather special stuff lately.

Did you see the TFSI K04 on a 1.8t that Issam posted too? Could open new avenues for us :)

In what sense is it a waste of time, you think it will spin the wheels? Maybe if you drive like a fanny in second, but past there where it counts you'll be flying. And with the torque of a turbo VR for any real driving you'll never need to go below third anyway.

Do it I say :)

Edited by Pashley26

I like FWD, it's not the flawed mess that everyone makes it out to be.

Sure, I don't doubt that when you get it right, in the right car, RWD could well be more rewarding to drive, but the enjoyment for me is about getting the most out of what you have, using something to it's full potential, and lets face it, almost all of us are using our cars well below their true capability here, myself included.

I get the piss ripped out of me on north loop for having a wrong wheel drive car, and I get similar abuse for having a turbo, because it's considered cheating, but I started out with a car that was slower from A-B than a 106 gti, and it's now on par with a track prepared E46 M3, and I've done it all myself.

That's what I get my enjoyment from, the whole thing as a package, there are many faster cars, but most have been given to a tuner with an open cheque book, with drivers that have been doing trackdays 10 per year for the last 10 years, I can safely say I don't think I've ever been passed by someone who's privately built their own car, infact, I know I havn't, because I can still count the times I've been overtaken by anything on a UK trackday on one hand :lol:

• Like 1

You drive on track like you have something VERY wrong in your head though, haha.

You braked so hard that your 6 point harness gave me a g-force induced mangina.

Haha, cheers George, I think :lol:

I had some pretty painful bruising on my shoulders from the harnesses, that never used to happen when I was fat, there was more padding :(

Bodge time:

The sump plug in the honda leaks, it leaks because the thread is goosed. Ive not wanted to touch it in the past but its making that much of a mess of my drive it need to sort it.

It only needs to be a temp fix as the engine will be getting ripped out and the car scrapped within a few months. Once the engine is out ill fit a new sump (i'd fit one now but they are near impossible to find) or get it helicoiled.

So im thinking:

1. See how bad the thread is and see if i can get away with a new plug and plenty of PTFE tape.

2. If all else fails glue the dam thing in with something like areldite.

Any other ideas?