The Car Thread

MadManMike

All the Eagle H-Beam rods i've seen for sale Ash haven't been rifle drilled. Probably be cheaper to buy a set of IE's that are drilled, than getting the Eagles drilled. Where are you looking at buying them from?

They are coming already fitted in the engine I'm buying. Can't seem to find any real information on them. The rifle drilling is to aid lubrication at the little end, like a straw? Would the engine rpm not cause a splash that far up the cylinder?

Wrong.

It's also used to aid low down spooling of the turbo by altering the timing. Don't code it out. Just swap it from the old engine to the new one.

Yeah? Got any information on this, specifically for BAM please? I've been doing some reading and it does look a swap over is a good plan.

They are coming already fitted in the engine I'm buying. Can't seem to find any real information on them. The rifle drilling is to aid lubrication at the little end, like a straw? Would the engine rpm not cause a splash that far up the cylinder?

Ah right and I assume the seller hasn't got a clue? Yeah, you don't really want to be running rods in one of these engines without rifle drilling from what i've read, otherwise you'll be doing even more work at a later date. Think i'm right in thinking that the OE rods are rifle drilled, must be a reason VAG specced it.

Need some advice from the vag boys if can please. Just bought an 02 a4 1.9tdi estate. wondering about fitting poly bushes and a clutch.. where from, how much, best value, how difficult to fit, time scale ect ect.

I work primarily on classic porche and merc, my knowledge of modern cars, suppliers and parts is quite limited. Thanks in advance.

Ah right and I assume the seller hasn't got a clue? Yeah, you don't really want to be running rods in one of these engines without rifle drilling from what i've read, otherwise you'll be doing even more work at a later date. Think i'm right in thinking that the OE rods are rifle drilled, must be a reason VAG specced it.

If I had my choice I would be going for integrated engineering rods through B5. However, as they are already in the engine, I think they will still get used. What are the symptoms of a poorly lubricated little end? That way at least I can keep an eye on things.

Extra wear to the gudgeon pins/associated faces, not so much cooling throughout both piston/pin but also the rod itself, not such free lubrication.

Don't get me wrong, they'll likely be fine, but if you're going to all that trouble you'd be kicking yourself it you didn't run RD rods and they went down the line.

Everywhere :)

Cost mainly. My gaffer did his 2.7 bi turbo a6 bushing with oem a few years back and I seem to recall it costing a fortune!

Well I know it will differ for every car, but I'd have thought most poly bushes for example SuperPro or Powerflex will be dearer than the original parts?

My Clio is polybushed all round and it does make the car nice and tight, but with that comes with extra vibration and road noise.

If it's not a car you want to be stiff, I'd get costings on all options, in truth.

Eagle rods. they'll be fine Ash. Nice and strong, will take anything you can throw at it, apart from another melted plug :lol:

If your tensioner is OK then swap VVT onto the new head. Easy job for your garage.

Don't do away with it. you'll get an incorrect correlation error that'll need mapping out, and you won't gain the spool benefits George mentioned.

That said, it's not essential and I don't have it (my car never had it), but it's not something I'd choose to do away with unless forced.

Went to Combe on Saturday, spent the whole day taking random people around in the A3 for a charitible fee to a good cause.

Much fun was had!

missionmotorsport-40_zpsthm5ueys.jpg

• Like 1

Eagle rods. they'll be fine Ash. Nice and strong, will take anything you can throw at it, apart from another melted plug :lol:

If your tensioner is OK then swap VVT onto the new head. Easy job for your garage.

Don't do away with it. you'll get an incorrect correlation error that'll need mapping out, and you won't gain the spool benefits George mentioned.

That said, it's not essential and I don't have it (my car never had it), but it's not something I'd choose to do away with unless forced.

Went to Combe on Saturday, spent the whole day taking random people around in the A3 for a charitible fee to a good cause.

Much fun was had!

Weird that you met Shelley, I used to work with her.

I was meant to be going on Saturday but had to prepare for the Beast so I couldn't make it - shame, would have liked a go out in A3!

Boot/rear seats looks tidy as shit. I need to get one oft hose carpet mats.

Is yours ktec?

Im not sure bud, someone on cliosport was selling cheap and i picked up same day pretty much!

rear brace needs to be painted and remove the belts but its pretty tidy and im very happy!

The dust has settled, reality has unfortunately gone and 'happened' again as it has such bad habit of doing, and I must accept that I'm not on track today, or tomorrow, or for a while after that either. So to keep the. Buzz going that little bit longer, I'll write about it instead :)

Friday came, and I was supposed to have the afternoon off, to allow me to get everything ready for Combe the next day.

That didn't exactly work to plan, and I left the office just before 5pm, with a trip to Basingstoke first on the cards to collect some wheels.

The forecast looked BAD:

44A40E29-69B4-4E51-B5C3-FB66B3D2393C_zps

I wasn't going to take any chances, so decided I'd take a bit of everything.

B2E850A7-A0CD-46AD-8BA3-11ECCAEA228A_zps

Khumos to drive up on and use of it was midway wet-dry. Wets invade the heavens opened, and ever the optimist, the all important slicks too!

Back at home I shared unpacking the car from Curborough the weekend before:

09C693C7-40D2-4E8A-9CB6-6EC833C76A23_zps

The Rotas had a quick clean before going on the car:

EF72AE06-945E-4B55-9136-CC845D6979B8_zps

After my driveshaft issue last weekend, and Bills terrible misfortune the weekend before, I really thoroughly checked over everything on the front end whilst it was all off. All looked very healthy still :)

CD4081C1-E4AC-45FD-9206-1AC0A9EA402B_zps

The Rotas went on and i finished packing, slightly earlier than last time thankfully!

453BEDA6-3BE0-4224-8E34-5570CA066748_zps

Not wanting to take any chances, I also took a spare shaft, cv, and a clip/grease kit and crimps should I need to change any of it at Combe

0F1AB3B8-E86A-4048-841D-71DC6E91C73C_zps

Saturday morning arrived, and I woke up to some pretty awful weather!

Thomas arrived just before 7am, to very kindly take the wets up for me as he had room in his passat. Sam arrived soon after, and we set off, feeling reasonably hopefull for a good day:

12020009_10153587954411346_4767637332348

We made great time to Combe, getting there just before half past 8, and wasted no time in heading straight to the sound testing:

BFFE1069-E2BE-407E-9F90-43E84D5A32B3_zps

The car produced it's now regular 93dB, and we headed down the pitlane to meet Phil and Shelley who had just arrived towing the Mission Motorsport works MX5 Race car.

Dave who drives the MX5 hadn't arrived yet, so I whipped it off the trailler, and Sam took it for sound testing whilst I got the A3 unpacked.

All unpacked and parked up in the pitlane, Dave arrived to drive the MX5, and we were ready to go soon after 9am, with the weather looking fairly decent and drying up fast.

missionmotorsport-01_zpsqeuu6jm7.jpg

missionmotorsport-02_zpstkfxmas9.jpg

I don't know the details, but I believe Dave lost both his legs in an explosion, and now drives with 2 prosthetic legs. The car has completely conventional controls, and to see Dave drive it, you would not have a clue he is minus both his legs! It's absolutely incredible how he pedals the MX5 around the track far far better than 99% of fully able bodied people ever could. Truly inspiring to watch, and a testament to the amazing work that Mission Motorsport do to help guys like Dave.

Soon after Thomas arrived in the mk2, then followed by Gurds and Ram in the mk1. and finally Chris Hignel in his CCSC Fiat Punto, and that completed the mission motorsport line up for the day!

12015092_10156109998400515_3657441979721

missionmotorsport-23_zpseyku8i0x.jpg

• Like 3

Just as we were about to head out to do a warm up, the heavens opened, and the track was once again soaked!

This wasn't ideal, at all!

Soon after, a track closure followed, as some poor sodd lost it in a big way in the opening session of the day and ended up in the barrier. Not a great start for someone!

We waited around for a while, and by the time we got out, it was actually drying up slightly.

We were still on the Khumos to start with, and whilst I've found them to be brilliant on the road. Once loaded up on track, they just didn't give me the confidence I was used to. Fairly grippy, but the softer sidewall which makes them so compliant on the road left them feeling a little wooley on track, and the tyre squeal I got from them was fairly horrible too, so after a few laps, we headed back in, and swapped to slicks. You can also see the Mission Motorsport stickers we had for the day too :)

E53E0643-AD30-4D66-AFDF-71F015AA5D0A_zps

I'd rather stupidly forgotten my camera, having plugged it all in to charge the night before.

Thankfully, Phil had a GoPro spare and offered me the use of it for the day. Really glad he did as hopefully i'll have some decent footage!

BAA31FA1-75CD-49EB-8074-0E83E1A72816_zps

He even had a cool little GoPro remote that I strapped to the steering wheel:]

343410A8-AC53-4EA2-BAAF-21A72063BB6F_zps

I also took the opportunity to throw a few more stickers on the car for the day, made by Jonny at UberSticky - https://www.facebook.com/UBERSticky

2BED6EC7-9F8A-4D08-B29E-EBA0082ABB5E_zps

B0EADA26-2375-4FF6-8F39-75DDCB5D691E_zps

We started taking members of the public out. This was great fun. £20 for 3 laps, plus an out / in lap, and everyone seemed to be really enjoying it. There were several people who'd known or seen the car previously, which was pretty cool, and loads of people wanted to talk about the car, and about Mission Motorsport and what they do. It all just felt like something really cool to be a part of.

Enough rambling from me for a minute, time for some pictures, I must admit these are a mix of shots, from Sam, Thomas, a few friends on facebook, and some random facebook groups I've found. Huge thanks to all who took pics on the day to help capture the feel of the event :)

missionmotorsport-12_zps2xfdzokb.jpg

missionmotorsport-21_zpsynn4ymsd.jpg

missionmotorsport-33_zpscikacmq5.jpg

missionmotorsport-32_zps9lamprij.jpg

missionmotorsport-29_zpsga0aizpx.jpg

These 2 shots by Thomas are brilliant:

20767412854_faa4e5a1b7_o_zpshprhqtvq.jpg

21398461391_34bc4c1fa6_k_zpsswh9on3l.jpg

And these are a few found on facebook:

8A8CA00E-0FF7-49C2-BDA9-CCEAFFAE94AD_zps

C38493B7-BD15-401F-ABE9-FEA2FDE9D8BD_zps

6A5483B4-B74D-4830-8B9C-98ABCF48AE6F_zps

11942131_1078273192197920_87446040396331

12020670_10204468640667251_952590880_o_z

12001774_10204468641227265_1576652564_o_

• Like 3

Civic is being repaired! Given a great quote to sort my rear quarter and paint my fresh front bumper. Just a door and a pair of wings to source to complete it again body wise.

Volks are replacing the damaged Rotas and I've some oem spec track rod ends and rack ends coming from japserviceparts along with some extended lower ball joints.

The Micra is getting a replacement headlight and a crude realigning of bonnet and slam panel. I may get a bonnet if one comes up locally.

Edited by SamKidney
  • Like 2