The Car Thread

MadManMike

Missus needs a new car. Something around 1.0l - 1.2l, not huge miles, it'll just be a run around for work and popping around for leisure.

She hasn't passed her test yet (test next week) so needs to be cheap on the old insurance. Around £2.5k budget.

I suggested Ford Fiesta (around 2008 era), but insurance can be steep. She suggested Citreon C1/C2 and they're low insurance group but I'm unsure about reliability (basing this on the saxos).

Any suggestions? If we go for Citreon is there something we should look out for, common faults/problems?

A mate if mine is big into the Jap scene of tiny slammed shoe box cars, Honda Jazz, daewoo matiz etc. He bought a 2004 Daihatsu Charade a few years ago, he does about 15k a year, its slammed on some 15x8 rims and it's absolutely faultless. It's cost him a pair of bottom arms due to running -4* camber but that's it! Cheapest run about ever.

Get a Micra. I've abused the f**k out of mine, it's on chopped springs so almost no suspension travel, used daily on yorkshire B roads, motorway run to hull and back every weekend and all it stands me at is an axle as it was rotten.

You'll find a decent one for around 400-600 quid and the insurance is cheap as on them. Brilliant cars.

Missus needs a new car. Something around 1.0l - 1.2l, not huge miles, it'll just be a run around for work and popping around for leisure.

She hasn't passed her test yet (test next week) so needs to be cheap on the old insurance. Around £2.5k budget.

I suggested Ford Fiesta (around 2008 era), but insurance can be steep. She suggested Citreon C1/C2 and they're low insurance group but I'm unsure about reliability (basing this on the saxos).

Any suggestions? If we go for Citreon is there something we should look out for, common faults/problems?

My missus nd I did the same thing, ended up with an 06 swift (£1800), been a cracking car so far. And has saved me in terms of commuting due to the leon issues...

Opinions on 2006+ (mk2) Audi a3 tdi's? 06, 07 1.9 and 2.0 tdi's seem to be approaching my budget now. It's time for a 'sensible' car...

In other news, got a bloody crack in my windscreen on the LC. Anyone tried the diy resin kits?

Edited by David

I booked my car into FCM Motorsport for a full geo setup, they've basically said it's highly unlikely that they'll be able to do it because it'll all be seized.

I've changed a few components in those areas, so fingers crossed it's not totally solid. I'll be soaking it in PlusGas for the next couple of days, hopefully that'll loosen stuff up enough!

Resin kits are for chips, you're not going to be fixing a crack... New screen time!

That's what I feared!

Does anyone know what the trade in value of an 55 plate LC with 125k miles would be? Don't know if I want the hassle of a private sale if I go for an A3...

I couldn't live without mine now. Public transport costs a fortune and is utter shit.

Different if you're in London, driving is a b*****d there and the underground is a good network. Bristol public transport definitely sucks though. Without my car, commuting is £10 a day and takes longer than driving (Even with the poor traffic in Bristol!)

To be fair, all he does is clean the damn thing and occasionally drive like a granny down the motorway from the sounds of it so he'll only be losing out on half of that excitement and the rest of us won't be stuck behind another numpty in a hot hatch who doesn't really want to get to where they're going...

• Like 2