The Car Thread

MadManMike

I fancied a MX-5 years ago, my Aunt got one a few weeks back so I had a sit in it and instantly felt immensely claustrophobic.

Same thing happened when I almost got stuck in a bucket seat of a mini years ago >_<

Didn't you have something tiny before your current car?

If anything, the 5 should feel more open with the roof off!

Speaking of, going for a ride then heading back to work to pick up Stan's MX-5 and try driving it with the top down for the first time. Admittedly it'll be at night, but still, it's the thought that counts. I can be a Facebook fanny and take a photo of it and do the "5billionstarhotel" hashtag shit too.

No roof down action but did go on a new route Adam told me about, shit was fuuuuuun! Can't wait to get one of these things back to Wales. The roads here are cool but tend to be shorter sections of good stuff with a bunch of "A to B" type roads in between, whereas I know a bunch of separate routes through Mid/West Wales which are basically each 30+ miles of awesome, twisty, swoopy, open roads with no speed limits. I hate waiting for things :(

• Like 1

Looking a bit more purposeful with the bodged air dam / splitter on. Can't believe the difference it's made to high speed cornering balance too! Above about 50mph it would understeer pretty badly before, now I'd say its slightly oversteery!

post-5427-0-25969100-1442469714_thumb.jp

Been chipping away at the weight too, this is with about half a tank of fuel, tonneau cover and the heavier wheels...

post-5427-0-87765400-1442469687_thumb.jp

• Like 2

The lighter wheels and low fuel would take 20kg off, then there's probably about 15kg in bits and bobs (uprights - currently big heavy steel things, engine mountings, chassis tweaks, swapping to a Freelander diff from the Sierra one)... Some people claim to have the same chassis, engine and body down to around 420kg but I dont see how its possible...

That's pretty unreal!

Of all the things you've had, I'm most curious / jealous of this one. There's something about it I find fascinating!

Still need to get to a track day together...!

I find the car pretty interesting too, yeah, more so than I imagined I would :)

It will be even monstrous when Adam sorts out his smooth shifting, had any joy with that yet? :)

I've found a solenoid for it (MX-5 starter), worked out how it'll all work, but not got round to getting it rigged up yet... Got a track day on Saturday, so for now just going to see how I get on with the 'softer' clutch pedal.

Looking a bit more purposeful with the bodged air dam / splitter on. Can't believe the difference it's made to high speed cornering balance too! Above about 50mph it would understeer pretty badly before, now I'd say its slightly oversteery!

If you cut it in half you'd get the perfect balance between the two.

• Like 1