The Car Thread

MadManMike

Dannnn, ask if your mother would be surprised to lose a race against your car.

Also you are the prìck who will make a house share unbearable based on that.

Ash, personally I'd just stick any old scrap yard lump in for now, just write down and/or photograph the mileage of both if it's a concern and get a high performance lump build going as well for the future.

£100 scrappy engine + labour (or DIY) will work out about the same as (or massively cheaper than) paying somebody to pull the head off to tell you it's f**ked and recommend a new engine at mechanic rates.

Edited by Jolfa

And then your housemates (parents) come home from work to be greeted with your shit that you often enjoy. But it's ok because you'll (intend to, or not) clean it up in the morning/whenever suits you, right?

Remember how annoyed you get over something as trivial as the oven being turned down...

You are what's wrong with house shares/other humans.

Ash, personally I'd just stick any old scrap yard lump in for now, just write down and/or photograph the mileage of both if it's a concern and get a high performance lump build going as well for the future.

£100 scrappy engine + labour (or DIY) will work out about the same as (or massively cheaper than) paying somebody to pull the head off to tell you it's f**ked and recommend a new engine at mechanic rates.

You reckon? I still want to hear that assessment as I trust this garage and I can't even get the car home from them atm.

DIY is a no go. Have zero facilities for that. Although I would LOVE to. However I have no idea on the parts I want to fit yet as the plan was handling, stage 2, then look at upgrading engine parts for stage 3, but I am kind of finishing the handling phase atm so well out of touch with bits I need.

Tricky one - if you're aware shit's getting real then it's easier in general to try and avoid it. At the same time though, you'd hope the person cutting across would notice what they were doing, especially if you had a chance to beep and gesticulate.

Since starting at TB again I've been cut up in the same way on the same roundabout 4 times now. That's over a 3 week period. If I'd "stood my ground" (so to speak) then there would definitely have been contact, in each case a similar thing to your story where someone would just float across into my lane on a roundabout so they could try and straight-line it rather than take the corner properly.

Yeh it's one of those things where nobody would say you were in the wrong if the crash happened, but you're still a dick. :lol:

If it was a cyclist or a motorcyclist or a horse then everyone would be angry withe the driver for not avoiding the accident, why is another car any different?

The only difference to me as a totally unrelated bystander, is that all these minor scrapes requiring wings and resprays put my insurance up next year. :P

If you'd stood your ground, you'd have no car left by now. :lol:

Dropped bits of metal in cylinders only end one way. The assessment won't tell you anything that'll make the repair cheaper than a new 20vt. Swapping a whole engine in a modern car is a really easy job with the right kit. If you're paying labour to a garage then given how cheap and common 20vt's are, it's almost certainly cheaper to replace the whole lump than just a piston and rebuild the head.

It may seem like a good opportunity for an upgrade, but if you're not at that stage of the build yet then I'd agree with the others. Throw in a standard engine, then keep the old one to rebuild uprated in your own time so it's ready for when the cars at that stage.

In Porsche news, I've been filling the engine and gearbox mounts with polyeurophane, but it's taking ages as the resin I bought's labeled '2 hour cure time' is more like 4 or 5 days. It definitely needed doing though, as the gearbox mounts were actually completely delaminated. That'd explain the knock as it takes up drive then! I've also bought some 15" Saab wheels for it as they were cheap and local, and will let me get some bigger brakes and better tyres on there.

You reckon? I still want to hear that assessment as I trust this garage and I can't even get the car home from them atm.

DIY is a no go. Have zero facilities for that. Although I would LOVE to. However I have no idea on the parts I want to fit yet as the plan was handling, stage 2, then look at upgrading engine parts for stage 3, but I am kind of finishing the handling phase atm so well out of touch with bits I need.

Pay me £300 and I can tell you it's f**ked from here, really don't waste the money...

Just literally swap a stock engine in like for like, bolt anything you've done so far to it and worry about stage upgrades later, your wallet will thank you for it and you'll have a car to drive in the mean time.

A member of our ethnic minority pulled out on me on a B road tonight. Swerved to avoid him being all I could do to avoid a side on impact with how close/sudden it was (national speed limit so I was sat at 50-60mph). Hit the verge, spun out. He switched his lights off and did one, couldn't get his reg and there's no witnesses.

My cars a write off :(

Edited by SamKidney

Oof, that's really wank!

Losing the car aside, they didn't even stop to see if you were ok, pretty low!

I assume you've reported it? If you have a description of the car and driver then you never know, the police might get off their arses and do something (unlikely). After reporting it, go and put a bunch of flowers where you came off, might encourage the c*nt to own up.

Are you fully comp? The other driver probably didn't have insurance to claim from in any case.

Edited by Jolfa

Oof, that's really wank!

Losing the car aside, they didn't even stop to see if you were ok, pretty low!

I assume you've reported it? If you have a description of the car and driver then you never know, the police might get off their arses and do something (unlikely). After reporting it, go and put a bunch of flowers where you came off, might encourage the c*nt to own up.

Are you fully comp? The other driver probably didn't have insurance to claim from in any case.

With how the police here are, and knowing the likely hood of the other party being uninsured I'm not following it up as id rather not have a claim in my name being a younger driver. There are that many golf GTIs round here it would be like a needle in a haystack. I've not caused any damage to anyone's property so alls well. Got the car back to the garage and terminated my policy. Thankfully I'm still within my cooling off period so ive gained my deposit back minus an admin fee. Even if I wanted to claim for my own damage I'm only insured third party fire and theft.

I've still got the Micra on a separate policy so I'm not carless, just gutted there are people that low in this earth. Could have been seriously injured for all he/she knew.

That sucks Ash:(

In happier news, I've built up my inlet manifold and bolted it on. I'm minus an airbox and inlet tube but everything plugged in perfectly, and it runs! Really, really well on the supposed itb map... Thinking it never had one in the first place. It comes on fast idle, then drops when it's warmed up, smooth right through the Rev range, zero misfires, starts perfectly from cold and warm, and feels quicker too.

Going to pick up an airbox/inlet and then get some fuel, and see if it's any better. If it is, which i can assume it's going to be, I doubt that the h tune chip is nothing more than a b16a2 basemap anyway.

I sold an airbox with k&n and intake pipe for a tenner last week :( i'm in leeds too.