The Car Thread

MadManMike

13055033_10156767436975587_6661924722097

13002535_10156767436910587_3117620102017

13055648_10156767436085587_4899363872528

Drove to the Cotswolds yesterday, checking my car was in good working order after all the little bits I've done to it recently.

Was mega happy with it and so pleased to be driving it again, the Golf GT is shit in comparison. Depends what you want from a car I guess though.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Skoze said:

Cheers :)

Just want to measure it for my own knowledge and for future reference, really - from my feeble attempts with a syringe i'm guessing it's going to come in around 9.5:1, but it's good to know exactly where i'm at with it especially as i'd quite like to force some more air into it at some point. The heads are off an old super rod so i'd be surprised if they've not been skimmed a fair bit, similarly the block's had some work so there's a mounting number of unknowns i'd like to pin down! 

To be honest as long as you know the deck height, stroke and bore the cylinder volume is a very simple calculation; if you wanted to be really anal about it you would include the miniscule volume between the piston / cylinder above the rings but imho I wouldn't bother :D

I would just measure the combustion chamber with oil and go from there, the requirement for accuracy to the Nth degree is unnecessary. When it comes to fueling and ignition timing this should all be checked with a dyno anyways.

For reference I calculated the supermoto to be around 12.5:1, it will only run on superunleaded without fatal detonation. If you go fi in the future you can always put a spacer plate under the head assuming you can sort out the cam drive (rods or chain?).

1 hour ago, MadManMike said:

Bertone X1/9? (With serious bodywork?)

Googled "Cavallini Motorsport". It is indeed a Fiat X1/9 with an Alfa Romeo d2 engine (I assume they mean the 155 d2, not the 9cyl radial engine :p)

Looks seriously cool!

(is there any way to make these vids slightly smaller?..)

Edited by Hopping_Topsy

6 hours ago, Pete.M said:

I can't figure out how the exhaust would cause chips in that position.

22 minutes ago, Jolfa said:

Fix it, or ignore it.

There's no way the exhaust did that anyway...

I'll fix it somehow. Not sure how to make it look halfway decent though.
I do have the feeling it is somehow the exhaust, as if it's where the bumper would 'bend' if the the exhaust pushes up onto it causing the paint to flake off.

Can't explain it differently to be honest!

Edited by Hopping_Topsy

15 hours ago, Hopping_Topsy said:

I'll fix it somehow. Not sure how to make it look halfway decent though.
I do have the feeling it is somehow the exhaust, as if it's where the bumper would 'bend' if the the exhaust pushes up onto it causing the paint to flake off.

Can't explain it differently to be honest!

If anything pushed the exhaust hard enough to bend the bumper and do that, the backbox would be hammered...

i'm trying to think of a new exhaust hanger method for the clio as currently there aren't any cheap decent options. There is this:

b2efd48f-3097-4e95-b272-9f17bbca5382_zps

but it's £35 each side!

So my plan is to make this:

Exhaust%20hanger_zpsh2bbu7iu.png

Simply two plates at either side of the mount, 3mm mild steel held together by 2 M6 nuts and bolts. The plates can have quite a few holes in it too for finer adjustments of the exhausts as they always hang a bit off centre.

Total cost of the plate? £2 rather than £70 for the other ones. If it's a little too stiff though i'll incorporate some open grommets in there.

Ordered it now, love trying something new it's fun.

23 hours ago, forteh said:

To be honest as long as you know the deck height, stroke and bore the cylinder volume is a very simple calculation; if you wanted to be really anal about it you would include the miniscule volume between the piston / cylinder above the rings but imho I wouldn't bother :D

I would just measure the combustion chamber with oil and go from there, the requirement for accuracy to the Nth degree is unnecessary. When it comes to fueling and ignition timing this should all be checked with a dyno anyways.

For reference I calculated the supermoto to be around 12.5:1, it will only run on superunleaded without fatal detonation. If you go fi in the future you can always put a spacer plate under the head assuming you can sort out the cam drive (rods or chain?).

Ah wicked - i've seen some people waxing lyrical about having to do that, but there's very little info on the pistons i'm using and - again - without taking the bottom end apart there's no way of measuring these things - ballpark figure will be good enough, doesn't need to be down to three decimal places haha. I'll do the oil job and just try my best to seal the pistons, see where we're at. I highly doubt it'll be much over 9.5:1 but you never know... Essex' seem 'happy' up to 11:1 with things getting interesting from 10, but I doubt i'll be in that kind of area!

Pretty impressive ratio on the supermoto as well! That's nuts, how long did the engine last? Good point re: spacers, I can't imagine it'd play too much havoc with cam stuff as it's all very old fashioned OHV stuff, can always get 1:6 rockers rather than the standard 1:5 to combat the issue I guess! Plan is to get it up and together, then use a scrapyard Eaton to blow through a Holley without going mental on the boost, but that's all a fair way off yet!

12 minutes ago, CurtisRider said:

What about hacking out the old rubber and filling it with polyurethane?

That's what I was also thinking, so it's a DIY powerflex one. 

I've already amended this idea, going to have four locating screws in this too that act as the other two bolts in the middle. This means it won't sag either. 

I have had a thought, are your pistons crowned and do they protrude above the top of the block and into the combustion chamber? If so then that makes the measurement a little more complicated but not undoable.

The rotax motor is bombproof and is just fine at that cr, as long as I only use superunleaded; the only time I couldn't get super it broke the cases within 20 miles :o:blink:

The standard cr is around 9:1, the 100mm piston, 1mm off the deck height and the skimmed head has upped it quite a lot :D

1 minute ago, SamKidney said:

My exhaust fit is also shite at the minute. End can is just nudging the bumper and it's ratlling against something underneath. 

Not that you can hear it over the noise of the thing mind. Is there a noise restriction at Curby @dann2707

105db but no one is going to go over that. It's not like there will be someone there to check anyway mate.

34 minutes ago, Jolfa said:

You have a Subaru now? What happened to the Italian joke?

Sold it months ago. 

Yep, I got it yesterday. 

2002 WRX STI with a 305HP Prodrive Performance Pack upgrade. 74,000 miles, recent high compression engine rebuild but tatty bodywork. 

Its a proper car, stupid fast. 

I like it. 

13041114_1735123136702860_67868448658211

13029722_1735123090036198_91488481915389

13010834_1733908436824330_76166938403213

Edited by Pashley26