The Angry Thread.

Blake

I find it's something more common place in trials rather than other areas of cycling. I had an injury in the summer that kept me off my trials bike but allowed me to ride my MTB. In the 3 months off the trials bike but still biking every few days on the MTB I had more fun than I'd had on the little bike for a long time. I don't know if it's to do with the repetitive nature of trials (even with street) or riding the same spots but I've found the appeal waining a lot. Now I'm content to have a few hours on the bike now and again rather than looking forward to the weekend for a full days riding throughout the week. I think unless you're a young kid/or idiot it can also get frustrating riding street and having to dodge people, wait for security guards to move on and so on...you can often feel like a nuisance. I find when I'm on the MTB i've got the mountains to do what I want and not piss anyone off.

I've also found the adrenaline from trying to fly down a trail or ride something really steep and make it out the other side gives a buzz trials can often lack. Trials now feels so slow paced even if you ride in a street manner than it can be frustrating. Little wheels that don't pick up pace and light gearing to me now feels really awkward and slow...to the point I'd almost consider more traditional street riding over a trials bike.

Riding fast with flow and smooth is what does if for me now. Maybe try and switch up your riding a bit?

This is it, in a nutshell. I had the best day out at gisburn I've had in a long time. So much so I'm considering getting rid all together and buying a new groupset for the mtb. Proper full on can't be arsed with trials anymore. There isn't anything remotely enjoyable about it at the moment, and I've been like that for months now. I thought getting the echo 24 might have changed my mind, but it hasn't

The thing is I really despise the MTB world. I don't like the industry and I don't like MTBers (well, not all of them). The act of riding through the hills is all fine but you've got to be able to afford to spend a few grand on a bike (for something decent) then the maintenance of it plus any clothing the industry tells you that you must own.......it's not cheap!

The thing is I really despise the MTB world. I don't like the industry and I don't like MTBers (well, not all of them). The act of riding through the hills is all fine but you've got to be able to afford to spend a few grand on a bike (for something decent) then the maintenance of it plus any clothing the industry tells you that you must own.......it's not cheap!

Depends on how far you want to go. I spend a few hundred on an entry level Specialized in 2007, a £10 Tesco helmet and a puncture repair kit and the amount of hours I got from that was amazing. I rode by myself most of the times and it's still one of my favourite things to do. Guess I'm saying my enjoyment wasn't based at all on the MTB world.

But your pro and all that so it's different for you :P

Edited by bikeperson45

I agree with that to an extent, I'm guilty of buying a bike far better then I'll ever need, but other than upgrades I want to do and maintenance I can't see it costing me another penny. I built my Onone out of second hand gear other than the frame and brakes and that cost just over 600 with a pretty deecent spec sheet of hope, crank brothers, marzocchi and slx group set, that things been everywhere too and got ridden pretty hard. You can go as mad as you like in the mtb world but at the same time it doesn't have to cost you 3k+ to get you going.

The clothing thing I'll agree with, I bought an ixs lid and knee pads/brace based on reviews of how good they are, other than that I own nothing else that you'd class as enduro or mtb or whatever, just t-shirt and a base layer I own because it's cold at work. Isn't the trials/bmx world guilty of the same thou? Black skinnys - 3/4 sleeve baseball tee, with mid tops thrown in just for good measure...

Not entirely true Al lad. My Carrera is only a cheap mtb, but it's the top line hard tail, and I've probably spent a few quid upgrading it, ie better brakes and new chainring and tyres, but that's it. I was faster than most blokes on £3k full sussers round the red route, with some black bits thrown in for fun. I ride in camo shorts, a shops own mtb top and nike skate trainers. I don't buy in to all this must have gear and badge snobbery. I just ride and buy the bits I want, not the bits the industry forces upon you. #26aintdead

MTB Trials! - Build up a 14" frame with a long seatpost and a Q.R seatclamp, a 12-28 x 28 set up, a dmr ring thing and a DCD, Jeans and a hoody and a time machine back to the 90s!

It's coming back around - i can feel it :arabia:

Edit - but remember to take a decent hub and some brake pads in there with you.. :)

Edited by sharn

MTB Trials! - Build up a 14" frame with a long seatpost and a Q.R seatclamp, a 12-28 x 28 set up, a dmr ring thing and a DCD, Jeans and a hoody and a time machine back to the 90s!

It's coming back around - i can feel it :arabia:

Edit - but remember to take a decent hub and some brake pads in there with you.. :)

Damn that brings back some memories. Reminds me of my merlin before I put fatty r's on it. Now that sounds like a plan for the future

Yeah man - got any pics? Maybe start an old school trials bike thread? Like early days old.. ( admitedly i'm thinking late 90s/2000 for my project) .. I'm hoping to build up something in this flavour because i too can no longer stand riding around in a trials only gearing and i'm hardly doing big stuff these days - i just still enjoy getting technical in little rock sections etc - mostly just like to get out on a bike and pedal it. If i see a little rock or something - i might try and trial it :nerd:

You'[d probably need to run a double - 22/28 on front to get a decent chainline from the 22 for a trials usable gear you ?? - Not sure it would be able to get just a 28 to run? I duno but it somethings i'm planning for the future also! An old scchool *MTB trials* bike but with a decent hub n brakes! 32T bashguard and some decent risers!

I wasnt actually riding in the 90s ( i started in around 2001) but i do love the spirit of the early school trials and kinda want a piece of it myself..

I rekon it'll be a blast..

Get on it bro ..

It's about the ride not the video :giggle:

Edited by sharn

I don't think it's any 'gayer' than 'liking' anyone else's post. The whole 'like' thing is a sham. Where are the rules saying you can't like your own stuff? The button is there after all?

I think the fact you 'like' it is implied by the fact that you shared it in the first place. Definitely with Dannnnnnnn here.

Visited my friend who’s at uni over the weekend. It was a good weekend but I always get bummed out afterwards and regret not going to uni. Not having any kind of local friends sucks on top of a job that means a lot of commuting. Wish the things I wanted to work out did and my other issues weren’t still weighing me down so much. Blah, bad mood.

Don't know if it's just a phase I'm going through but I feel my love for bikes fading. I've not wanted to touch my bike since September now, it's a nice day out yet nothing about me wants to go for a ride.

100% agree. I started to get back into climbing (bouldering) 6 months ago, and for the last 2 months the bike has barely been looked at, let alone ridden. Have so much more motivation to climb than ride I fear it may take over....

That said, I think a bit of time off over winter may help in the long-term. Give the bike a rest & do something else while it's cold/wet/dark. Come the spring, with weather turning I reckon I'll be itching to get back on it again

• Like 1

In semi-relation to what you guys are talking about, when I get out of school lately it has been miserable outside. I don't care too much about it having rained during the day, but when it rains as I leave it gets dark at about 4! I can't go out in the dark where I live because I will get stabbed (no jokes...) and when I haven't rode for a while I tend to have second thoughts about trials as I kind of forget how much I like it, despite the fact I don't push myself to progress enough, nor do I have anybody to ride with :(

I'm the same but I'm not worrying too much about it. It's mainly down to where I live, our old house was in the middle of the town so was a piece of piss to catch an odd hour here and there but now that's not the case. Currently enjoying riding my road bike to work and havin a play with different gym classes but I know once the weather gets better next year I'll still mess about a bit when I can.

100% agree. I started to get back into climbing (bouldering) 6 months ago, and for the last 2 months the bike has barely been looked at, let alone ridden. Have so much more motivation to climb than ride I fear it may take over....

That said, I think a bit of time off over winter may help in the long-term. Give the bike a rest & do something else while it's cold/wet/dark. Come the spring, with weather turning I reckon I'll be itching to get back on it again

I was in exactly the same situation before I did my ankle. Sadly looking forward to getting back to bouldering after I'm all healed up, more so than riding again.

Getting harassed by work every other day about my current situation, I ripped my ATFL off of the end of my Tibia and took a bit of bone with it so I'm in a cast for 6 weeks (3.5 to go). I'm an engineer on a Naval base and have been told that it's not feasible to be on side for health and safety reasons. I've been signed off by my GP and work have told me I can't come onsite, yet my boss insists on calling (mobile and home), email, texting, even Facebook messaging me for updates all the time and expects me to call him on a Monday before 8 to give him an update. It's just getting a little excessive and I really want to tell him to f**k off,

Bare in mind the insurance value is based on stuff like the likely hood of that type of car being nicked and the cost of parts if it needs repairing. Corsas cost f**k all to buy nevermind repair so a lower figure seems right to me.

not completely

is is also based how many are wrecked by model

For example the Vauxhall is a cheap car, but a chav car as well for this reason.

So many young drivers crash them-. insurance is higher

Whereas a VW Golf 4 2.0 GTI is rare, rarely crashed so the price is little bit bigger ( for me Corsa 1.0 = £440, Golf 2.0 GTI = £550)