The Angry Thread.

Blake

On 27/08/2020 at 6:22 PM, Herbertlemon102 said:

sorted now, but f**k me, not what i needed. in my naivety i didn't realise agencies would screw you over like that.

Carbon copy of what happened to me and my friends in my second year of uni in London. The agent we were with just didn't bother filing our paperwork for a day, and in that time the property got taken by someone else. That's not the only reason I f**king hate letting agents, but it's certainly a part of it.

For what it's worth, it ended up that we got some other stuff sorted out and it worked out in a fashion, and we still had a good time. If you're with decent people, even being in a dogshit house is still fun in a "we're all in it together"/looking back and laughing kind of way. Hopefully you'll find somewhere good though!

7 hours ago, Mark W said:

Carbon copy of what happened to me and my friends in my second year of uni in London. The agent we were with just didn't bother filing our paperwork for a day, and in that time the property got taken by someone else. That's not the only reason I f**king hate letting agents, but it's certainly a part of it.

For what it's worth, it ended up that we got some other stuff sorted out and it worked out in a fashion, and we still had a good time. If you're with decent people, even being in a dogshit house is still fun in a "we're all in it together"/looking back and laughing kind of way. Hopefully you'll find somewhere good though!

cheers mark, this is my 4th time doing it, first 3 years of uni were peppered with similar bullshit stories... least the people i chose to live with have been proven at this point :D 

Ten thirty this morning I got the DCMP.

(Unsure if that is a universal phrasing, but that means "Don't come monday pal")

I get shitcanned as of the 14th, hence, DCMP.

Furkin boo-dee-ful.

Can't face the job shop...

Not just yet anyhow.

That's a clusterf**k all to itself.

Gonna be a hard winter.

On 08/09/2020 at 1:05 AM, CC12345678910 said:

Ten thirty this morning I got the DCMP.

(Unsure if that is a universal phrasing, but that means "Don't come monday pal")

I get shitcanned as of the 14th, hence, DCMP.

Furkin boo-dee-ful.

Can't face the job shop...

Not just yet anyhow.

That's a clusterf**k all to itself.

Gonna be a hard winter.

Sorry to hear this mate. Onwards and upwards though mate honestly, there's work out there and people are recruiting still. 

So far after being made redundant at the end of July I've had:

interview at company 1-  got through to second stage but they chose the other candidate based on experience (hydrogen)

Interview at company 2 - got the job offered but I turned it down because of location and wanted to hold out 

Interview at company 3 - got through to second interview but didn't get it sadly, waiting for feedback 

Interview at company 4 - got through to the final interview tomorrow. 

What I'm saying is, there's loads of stuff out there just keep you head high and apply for as much as you can

@dann2707

Argh but you're in a part of the world with opportunity... 

I'm not rubbishing what you have to say, my life's not harder than yours or owt, however here in Barrow the economy (when you really knuckle down & think about it) and therefore the jobs market is either you work in the shipyard (easy street) or you work in a job that service's the shipyard/is inextricably linked to the yard - Temps or HR or bearing supplier or welding gas supply or ARCO safety supply for instance, or you work servicing the people of the shipyard when they flex their wallet/credit card/finance all the things around like being on the delivery crew of the 'you can do it' orange liveried shop I (was) attached to. When they don't spend it all in [whether] 'spoons or off to the trafford centre trip yo, that is.

They'll be no resting on my laurels. Can't be. Round here you have to hussle like f**k, or else you end up/some practically choose from birth to sit around chaining amber leaf rizlas with or without the green/spice and lynx lager whilst looking like a walking thug life meme dressed in the JD sports catalog which may or may not have been fenced within a certain local drinking hole. When green stops muting the misery they turn to spice or a couple 'lines or bags o' brown. Google "egerton court barrow" or "ormsgill barrow" and the images thumbnails are all riot vans and police cordons and that just represents what the local chip wrapping reports in their excuse for journalism - about an 1/8th of an ounce (geddit?) of reality in other words, all the "good" parts. You couldn't print the real street level stuff.  And that is a good chunk of the local authorities' social housing stock :mellow: 

I appreciate your positivity dannananan, just you make sure you don't end up like a swan swimming upstream, mentally or otherwise. I know it won't pay life bills but you should get the fab stuff going as a side gig - it's just a fact of cars that you are either a lad that scratches and hussles the car onto the trackday with skill or favours, or you are the guy that works white collar for £££££ and pays someone to do it - either way there are more people with money than skill and you should be stood there in the car park/pits at blyton or cadwell going "orr yeah i cud do that front mount piping for yer; here's my business IG, check me out and come round the unit wen u wan it done". Small batch production turbo manni's or swap headers on an Ebay shop could be a thing too.

Reet, I was only on a break, shouldn't be spending any more time whinging @ the speaking wall. Back to Indeed... Mind ow you go now. 

Edited by CC12345678910
  • Like 1

If Barrow doesn't offer opportunities, move further afield?

Hastings didn't have much for me, aside from friends and family, I moved to Bristol 7 years ago and everything is better now - I have a proper career and there's tons of opportunities here.

A lot of my friends have visited and said they're jealous or I'm lucky, but really it's not that difficult to move somewhere new. A fair bit of the career side was lucky, but the life I'm living now is just hard work and making the decision to change location.

Either way, hopefully you get sorted soon dude.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CC12345678910 said:

@dann2707

Argh but you're in a part of the world with opportunity... 

I'm not rubbishing what you have to say, my life's not harder than yours or owt, however here in Barrow the economy (when you really knuckle down & think about it) and therefore the jobs market is either you work in the shipyard (easy street) or you work in a job that service's the shipyard/is inextricably linked to the yard - Temps or HR or bearing supplier or welding gas supply or ARCO safety supply for instance, or you work servicing the people of the shipyard when they flex their wallet/credit card/finance all the things around like being on the delivery crew of the 'you can do it' orange liveried shop I (was) attached to. When they don't spend it all in [whether] 'spoons or off to the trafford centre trip yo, that is.

They'll be no resting on my laurels. Can't be. Round here you have to hussle like f**k, or else you end up/some practically choose from birth to sit around chaining amber leaf rizlas with or without the green/spice and lynx lager whilst looking like a walking thug life meme dressed in the JD sports catalog which may or may not have been fenced within a certain local drinking hole. When green stops muting the misery they turn to spice or a couple 'lines or bags o' brown. Google "egerton court barrow" or "ormsgill barrow" and the images thumbnails are all riot vans and police cordons and that just represents what the local chip wrapping reports in their excuse for journalism - about an 1/8th of an ounce (geddit?) of reality in other words, all the "good" parts. You couldn't print the real street level stuff.  And that is a good chunk of the local authorities' social housing stock :mellow: 

I appreciate your positivity dannananan, just you make sure you don't end up like a swan swimming upstream, mentally or otherwise. I know it won't pay life bills but you should get the fab stuff going as a side gig - it's just a fact of cars that you are either a lad that scratches and hussles the car onto the trackday with skill or favours, or you are the guy that works white collar for £££££ and pays someone to do it - either way there are more people with money than skill and you should be stood there in the car park/pits at blyton or cadwell going "orr yeah i cud do that front mount piping for yer; here's my business IG, check me out and come round the unit wen u wan it done". Small batch production turbo manni's or swap headers on an Ebay shop could be a thing too.

Reet, I was only on a break, shouldn't be spending any more time whinging @ the speaking wall. Back to Indeed... Mind ow you go now. 

Thanks haha

I moved 90 miles for the job in Derby from Leeds and it was the best thing I ever did! Learnt so much and gained so much valuable knowledge from that simple move. 

You can't be stuck in one place forever if you see there being no progress imo! 

• Like 2

@monkeyseemonkeydo

Left school (i guess you'd class it as a comprehensive style school, it's not there now anyway, cumbria county melted two schools into one, knocked down the (conveniently & suddenly not at all) grade 2 listed building after it (also conveniently) went on fire, as valuable real estate w/ problem buildings atop it tend to do 'round here and built an academy on the bottom field whilst selling off the back fields for 10p on the pound to enable a made of matchsticks housing development that be worth ~£1.8m+ in the end...)

So yeah

Left school sep 2009, 5 A-C's yada yada, scratched on for NVQ L2 engineering feeder course for the yard at the (only for 40 miles and garbage) FE college, passed easily but got passed over whilst my "peers" the retards around me who was born into/came from the better postcode and had connections within the boys club that is the yard got the apprenticeship into easy street that I (and the guy who taught mechy fitting candidly told me) reckon should've been mine.

This is 2010 by this point - world's f**ked, i'm not earning, Dad's job's rapidly going down the shitter, Mam's job is 8hrsish & shit.

"f**k it, guess I'm gonna have to go back to college then."

"Aye an' do wat?"

"Cars?? I like cars; wanna work with my hands, I know which end of a spanner to hold (self maintained pushbikes, mototrial etc etc) Jobs [are] goin' in garage's all [the] 'time; car break, me fix; people need personal transport, I'll have work right??"

So back to the FE, scratch for level 1 (aka f**k me is this remedial) motor veeeehikcle, claim maintenance grant (my own personal income, so f**kin sue me, least I wanted a job after it - rest of em were just transitioning between school and a joint career in dole-dom and knocking up skets whilst upside down in a hedge/the abandoned paper mill).

Level 2 and eventually level 3 MV - rinse, repeat.

Sep 2013 - world is less f**ked, barrow is still very f**ked. Been swindled as MV quals mean FA out in't big wide world. Nae jobs.

SNAFU, if you like.

Q: "...the actual f**k am i gonna do now??"

A: Avoid JSA and the job shop like bubonic plaque that is. Graft, hustle and scheme. "it'll be like side gig on me side gigs (on me side gigs haha) - Short of sellin green, blow or brown, or myself, if there is 20 quid to be made than that f**ker is mine..." And I did. For 3 1/2 fecking yrs. I did my fair share of knowing the freeview EPG a little too intimately as well, i'll not lie. But that was the basic craic, the ethics were a little sketch at times, but I never stole or (diligently) knowingly handled owt 'hot', because, very distinct mitigating circumstances aside, thieves are c***s; particularly as the easy stuff to trade was bikes. I did (aid) recover a couple peeps high value items in this period though. FWIW my only run ins with the law are the "you can't ride that here & i'm gonna rifle through ur bags without grounds now lads" conversations & PNC checks forumites will know all too well. 

This all got stopped oct 2016 when nepotism got me the gig at [orange hardware chain that systemically shits on people]. The attitude went with me though.

I worked my f**kin hole off. f**kin house bitch I was - "No!" doesn't buy "mmm shiny" - & the gas board don't take payment in fat lazy b*****d credits now does they? The only reason I'm affording plusnet right now to vent here in my indeed break is 'cos the (receeding) oh shit money that i've saved.

So there u is... thick end of 12yrs in however fast people read that.

Relocation just isn't an option on the grounds of domestic situ. On the face it would solve a lot of things. This I know acutely; but think of this end of the A590 as hotel California, and I didn't check in by choice. The oh shit fund has always taken precedent over driving lessons so travelling for work is difficult but I'll do it.

Again; house bitch mentality - Work ~3 times as hard to achieve 1/2 of what others started with from birth, and have some sort of f**ked up masochistic-like sense of achievement @ the end of it because you feel you're "doing 'alright' now y'know". My lived experience of Barrow in a nutshell, if you like.  

Messrs Wilson, Thatcher, Major, Blair, Brown set and propagated the rot. Clegg, Camoron, Osborne, May, Hammond twisted the knife. Boris' lot haven't showed their hand yet, but the batpox is deffo going to f**k this area with a rusty scaffy pole and has f**ked me and my family member I was working alongside (who I now owe some reciprocal nepotism I reckon).

Right, chow down this cup o' char then back to the jobs boards.

TL:DR

On 9/10/2020 at 9:27 PM, monkeyseemonkeydo said:

What's your background/skillset in terms of jobs?

Next tuh f**k all >_< 

f**kin no hope road once again.

Edited by CC12345678910

2 hours ago, CC12345678910 said:

TL:DR

Next tuh f**k all >_< 

f**kin no hope road once again.

'Kin 'ell like!! You need to write a book or pitch a 'my name is earl' kinda thing to Netflix!! Seriously though, the reason I ask is that not far up the road is M-Sport in Cockermouth who always have loads of projects on the go and I don't think are shy of giving people a chance even if they have no experience in motorsport provided you're willing to graft. Last time I was there they were also really good about sorting out short term accommodation etc. until you get set up if you do get a job/apprenticeship or whatever. Although Malcolm Wilson is always flying round in private helicopters or driving his GT40 (or whatever he's in now) I get the feeling he's all about giving back to the community and giving people a chance when he can...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Luke Rainbird said:

I'm with Mike. If there's nothing for you where you are, why stay? I understand there can be plenty of reasons that you might be tied to a place, but from what you've said so far it doesn't seem to be the case other than the finances of relocating?

19 hours ago, CC12345678910 said:

Relocation just isn't an option on the grounds of domestic situ. On the face it would solve a lot of things.

Could the domestic situation be alleviated or modified to work with a move away, even if it's 50-60 miles?
Perhaps extend the reach to Lancaster/Preston/Blackburn, could that grant more opportunities?

Edited by forteh
  • Like 1

So I'm just gonna lurk from now on & read about rusty roadsters and your problems...

Nah seriously boys all of you are correct, non of it is conclusions I hadn't already came to whilst I've been sat shotgun in a van since 2016, & all of it can only be implemented up to a certain capacity - I mean what I wrote in that hotel California quip.

@monkeyseemonkeydo

Sorry, that particular piece of wingebaggary/vent/cathartic wasn't aimed at anyone. I'm doing >3-5hrs on the jobs boards at the mo and you just need an outlet. Don't think I'm owt special either - this just unfiltered street level experience of life in what I've coined the 'true' north as apposed to the politicians north that stops in an invisible lateral line about where mr.2707 lives. This "The North" I hear on't news seems to stop laterally at manchester and everything else is "that's like scotland int'it?" [can confirm that I'm very much english, for my sins] 

You are correct about M sport's spot outside cockermouth being near me, about 60 crow flies miles north up the coast, and mr wilson is supposed to be as you say. M sport pissed a few dog walkers off when they fenced off their test stages/quarry last year but that's the stoopid locals perceived entitlement not Msport's. My problem I don't want to make a whiny problem out of everything so let's say issue, is that the feeder course is at an agri college campus ~80/90 road mile from me that is inaccessible by means other than the private car/daily commute by train & ride is not feasible no how much I want it to be (did this pros/cons whey up when I was 16/17yo & nowts changed:mellow:). You're nearly in [lancaster] uni country so digs are big boy money aka no dice. Thanks to me decidedly middle of the road vanilla and pretty good for nothing I'm not Prince's trust et al material either.

@forteh Ah mate of course I'm looking further afield than my own postcode. I'm so used to being to being out on the roads in the BRS job that the thought of sinking back into this place bothers me something rotten. /

Don't get me wrong boys, The (greater) barrow or the '590 area isn't a favela or owt, the coastline is accessible at 4 different points from the front doorstep and all are within 5 road miles, This summer I've explored my own back yard going for bods on the roadie bike - we've backlanes and moor tops with views for days and now I very much see how serious leg shavers road riders can do barrow-coniston bluebird caff-barrow before lunchtime without breaking sweat - even my longer run round skates the border of the lake district national park at it's furthest point.

Barrow's best attributes for me all stem from not actually being in it - it's the cliche'd people that spoil it :D The crippling deprivation is real though. If I could start treating it like a dormitory again then I'd be a whole lot less of a sourpuss about the whole shituation. That's what all this stems from ultimately, that's what maketh the fire, the vitriol; I thought I was making progress in hitting the GTFO button, the personal betterment that I resent my 'peers'/fellow barrowvians for not being outwardly apparent, or at the v. least dragging myself into that nice(r) postcode away from the corridor between two sinkholes I/we currently reside in.

Happy travels boys.

:)

Edit: just as I proof read that a whole bunch of f**kwits sprawled out'et the estate & into my front street having a right ol' do about how one of em's a slag and "Am gonna kick ur f**kin head in an' burn you in your living room while ur kid watches" and all this shit and now I can hear the riot squad and paddy wagons off in the distance on their way round to go scoop the whole sorry lot up further off down the street before they get chance to do one up and over the 8x4 council lock-ups & across the railway line. 

Face.

Palm. 

Edited by CC12345678910
Typos for days because essay
  • Like 1

Tried to unscrew a brake lever bolt on a brand new bike and rounded it. Managed the other side just barely without rounding it. I've never encountered bolts that were on so tight in all the time I've worked on my own bikes, and on top of that they're super tight on something that will immediately be undone, adjusted and no tightened fully anyway.

5 hours ago, JT! said:

I've never encountered bolts that were on so tight in all the time I've worked on my own bikes, and on top of that they're super tight on something that will immediately be undone, adjusted and no tightened fully anyway.

I've seen a bike or two come from a pretty well known brand where the brake lever bolts had been tightened so much they'd broken the bar clamp on the brake lever. They'd been assembled by an assembly line who typically worked on motorbikes, and used power tools to fit components, so they just whizzed the brake clamp bolts up fully top and bottom. 

Giving people the correct training would probably have been more time and cost effective for all concerned.

3 hours ago, Mark W said:

I've seen a bike or two come from a pretty well known brand where the brake lever bolts had been tightened so much they'd broken the bar clamp on the brake lever. They'd been assembled by an assembly line who typically worked on motorbikes, and used power tools to fit components, so they just whizzed the brake clamp bolts up fully top and bottom. 

Giving people the correct training would probably have been more time and cost effective for all concerned.

Fun times.

Well I tried to drill it out but gave up on that idea pretty quickly and went and picked up some bolt extractors. The drill didn't even have the torque to unscrew it out so I had to put a wrench on the end of the bit and got it out that way.

14 hours ago, JT! said:

Well I tried to drill it out but gave up on that idea pretty quickly and went and picked up some bolt extractors. The drill didn't even have the torque to unscrew it out so I had to put a wrench on the end of the bit and got it out that way.

Fair play, that sounds like ballache. Kudos for getting it sorted!

I missed a parcel yesterday with Parcelforce so was taken to a local collection point which is a petrol station.

The post office at the petrol station couldn't move it as it was so heavy, so it stayed on the shop floor near the staff entrance. Royal mail man did his rounds last night and collected the parcels from there and took my parcel too. 

I've gone to collect it from the petrol station today to vacant looks and when I explained what it should look like the staff member pointed to a spot and said it was there and was left there as it was so heavy, they've watched the CCTV and can see the royal mail driver takes it away.

So now if you check on Parcelforce the parcel is still at the drop off awaiting collection, royal mail have no knowledge of it as its not been submitted officially as a delivery and as it stands I'm out £280.

Anyone predict how this ends? The petrol station are blaming the driver for not checking, and royal mail are blaming the petrol station for leaving it on the shop floor.

On 9/17/2020 at 4:41 AM, Mark W said:

Fair play, that sounds like ballache. Kudos for getting it sorted!

...and now there's something wrong with the gearing. Hesitation up and down. Urrgghhhh.

EDIT: Swapped out the hanger too same issue.

5 hours ago, JT! said:

...and now there's something wrong with the gearing. Hesitation up and down. Urrgghhhh.

EDIT: Swapped out the hanger too same issue.

Cable issue? Check it's not dragging on anything or kinked anywhere. Failing that check that where the outer has been cut it's not been chewed and digging into the inner causing unwanted drag.

23 hours ago, monkeyseemonkeydo said:

Cable issue? Check it's not dragging on anything or kinked anywhere. Failing that check that where the outer has been cut it's not been chewed and digging into the inner causing unwanted drag.

Pulled out all the housing sections, got everything lubed up, it's all flawless. I'm honestly out of ideas. At this point I'm assuming it's a faulty derailleur or shifter.

Someone suggested I get one of those hanger calibration tools even though I've bought a new hanger, those aren't cheap but if it'd fix the issue I'd buy one.