The Happy Thread

Duncy H

I don't understand peoples obsession with beer (for the purposes of getting drunk).

Personally i like beer, and yesterday i only wanted to have one.

After i found out it is £1.30 for a pint i got some more for my friends and I

Beer is there to keep your blood alcohol level on a healthy level

I bought my first Omega this morning.

11892147_1660776097470898_82014595572438

11863480_1660776120804229_69225018284121

11892116_1660776167470891_26774754358545

I've got to wait a couple of weeks to get it serviced before gets sent to me. But I think I'm going to be pleased with it.

I spent about an hour in Goldsmiths yesterday after months of looking at an Omega Planet Ocean, but having tried it on and worn it for half an hour I just felt like it was too big.

I did a bit of research and found that they made a Japanese market only Speedmaster which came with a 39mm case, and because it is 20 years old will be coming into "collectable" status.

A bit of googling further and I found they sell for about $2000 private, but are very few and far between.

I was over the moon (no pun intended) when I searched for the product code on eBay to see if I could find any original sales literature on them, and Japanese eBay turned up with one for just 97384.44 Japanese Yen (£500) with a day left on the auction. Put the bid in and went to sleep.

I woke up this morning to find I had won an absolute minter with all original sales literature for 178631.40 Japanese Yen (£917).

I phoned a friend of mine to ask if he thought I should let them service it before they sent it out or if I should ask him to do it; due to parts availability he suggest I have it serviced in Japan. Then he offered me £1500 for it if I wanted to sell it on and make a bit of money quickly, which I declined.

Just cannot wait to get it now!

Also I had an awesome two weeks off with my holiday wife, spent a weekend in Scotland shooting, went to the beach loads, walked the dog. Just loving it.

All is good in Jardo land :)

• Like 2

Nice that is Jarhead, my dad owns a really nice 1956 Omega seamaster with original papers and box which is pretty bad ass aswell as a few others that aren't quite as old. Strangely enough my dad has a lot of success buying from Greece for some reason?

Do you think you could tell if it was a good fake? (Genuinely curious, as if it is and you don't know - you still have an omega?)

I would think it is hard to tell something like this from a very good fake, because it isn't something ,any people would have seen. I imagine the movement will be immediately distinguishable from a fake though.

Nice that is Jarhead, my dad owns a really nice 1956 Omega seamaster with original papers and box which is pretty bad ass aswell as a few others that aren't quite as old. Strangely enough my dad has a lot of success buying from Greece for some reason?

Thanks man.

I would love a speedmaster that early, maybe I will look at buying from Greece?

Any chance you can get some pictures? I'd like to see something that early in detail. :)

Been offline for a few weeks now but progress is good and I'm almost finished :D Funny how it was supposed to take a week 1 month ago.

Wish I had some before pictures. Especially proud of the new window sill which now completely hides a big pipe and has led lighting underneath (warm white, turquoise to cameras apparently).

Will be making new furniture for the whole room but that will take another 2 months probably.

9ctLDAx.jpg

TFz7Yz6.jpg

hnDUluE.jpg

l2qbFsg.jpg

I would think it is hard to tell something like this from a very good fake, because it isn't something ,any people would have seen. I imagine the movement will be immediately distinguishable from a fake though.

Thanks man.

I would love a speedmaster that early, maybe I will look at buying from Greece?

Any chance you can get some pictures? I'd like to see something that early in detail. :)

No worries, next time I see it him I'll try to remember. It really is nice but subtle. A guy my dad knows through work collects a lot of old Omega stuff, no idea what he's got but I know he's got 50+ genuine items.

Strangely enough my dad has a lot of success buying from Greece for some reason?

Could be a result of their economy entirely shitting the bed, but unlike here the middle classes took a battering so it could be people offloading stuff to make money quickly?