Whats Good About Street Trials?

ChrisTrials2012

. You don't really see street BMXers taking the pi$$ out of flatland riders as they are just a different flavour of the same artform.

Oh yes you do! haha BMXers are way bigger bitches than trials folk.

I think street has become more popular simply because of Inspired and Danny Macaskill. Inspired brought out a street specific frame and Danny showed it and what's possible on it to the world.

I rode comps and stuff for about 12 years, they are pretty cool but after so long I just found street but be far easier to access and it was fun learning new things rather than seeing if I could get another 5mm on a gap or sidehop. I like the lack of rules in street too, there is no rule saying you can't use a foot or hand to get over something. I also like how flowing street can be, trials can be very static and after awhile it gets a little boring. Having a little more speed is a super fun experience.

I think the main reason for me is the ease of accessibility to skate parks now compared to say 10 years ago. You can pop to a skate park and ride knowing you won't get kicked off, told to move on or arrested. They're fun to ride, full of like minded people and even if you're on your own, can still interact with people and try new stuff without fear of falling off badly and having no one around to help. I take my trials bike to the skate park and ride some TGS stylee stuff, then do some streety more bmx oriented moves, they're just a nice versatile place.

Obviously a skate park will never compare to some proper decent street spot but you know they're always there if you can't ride anywhere else.

I ride street and out of the 3 locals guys I know of, I'm the only one who does, they're either on mods or stocks. I've tried their bikes and I don't mind them but I feel more at home on my 24".

It's just down to the individuals preference, I happen to like riding around and being able to ride to different spots (that are further away) is a big benefit for me as I don't have a car I can just throw my bike into, which most people with mods/stocks seem to have to do.

Like I said though, it's whatever the individual prefers. We all ride trials for many reasons but we all have at least one thing in common no matter what the style; we all enjoy riding trials.

i only started trials from motorbike trials and watching Danny Mac, he has changed trials around and got more people into street trials, which is goo, but me and my mates only ride street because it is close by and it has natural riding in our town, (rocks and walls) but i would prefer natural riding because its more related to motor trials, its not that simple going out in the middle of know where with no car as im 16, its easy just to ride into town and get on the train to where ever. thats why i bought a bike that is street and natural, because i simply love them both.

Oh yes you do! haha BMXers are way bigger bitches than trials folk.

I think street has become more popular simply because of Inspired and Danny Macaskill. Inspired brought out a street specific frame and Danny showed it and what's possible on it to the world.

I rode comps and stuff for about 12 years, they are pretty cool but after so long I just found street but be far easier to access and it was fun learning new things rather than seeing if I could get another 5mm on a gap or sidehop. I like the lack of rules in street too, there is no rule saying you can't use a foot or hand to get over something. I also like how flowing street can be, trials can be very static and after awhile it gets a little boring. Having a little more speed is a super fun experience.

Yeah but that's comming from a master, what do you say for a beginner? Do you think it's easier to learn street (only) first or practising with rough terrains and what not, like comp? Who do you think would be a better rider overall, assuming they have the same will and same practice time.

Edited by valk

'Better' is a relative term, and doesn't really matter anyway. Do what you enjoy doing, not what you think you 'should' do to be 'better'.

I rode TGS/normal trials for 6-7 years and got bored of it. I rode BMX for 3 years and didn't quite feel comfortable on it somehow. I got a nice 24" setup, realised I could ride trials stuff and BMX stuff on it and haven't really looked back.

The best part about riding a bike like that for me is that on one bike I can ride pretty much anything. I can go to Hathersage and ride rocks. I can go to our indoor bit and ride that stuff. I can go to Stoke and ride a skate plaza. I can go to Corby and ride an indoor park. I can go to Cantelowes and carve around a bowl. I can go to Lee Quarry and ride the pump tracks and jumps. I can go ride street in London and ride sets of stairs, flatbanks, normal trialsy walls, curb cuts - whatever. You can ride whatever you want however you want to, and that's the whole point. A normal trials bike is massively limited for doing anything other than trials itself, and I got bored of having that limitation a long time ago. By being open to all that the way you ride and the spots you ride become totally different, and it opens everything up much more.

• Like 2

Definitely what Mark said. What made me go to street trials was exactly the idea of riding everything. It was the reason why I got a trials bike in first place, to found out later it was quite limited. Riding everything is a pretty cool ideal, but it's one made full of compromises.That's probably why it never continued growing in the past.

still searching for the impossible option of having one bike for everything,but since i´ve got my 24" i´m feeling pretty close to it.

that one point i love marino frames for (not commercially pointed):if you got a clue what does what on geo you can get close to perfect,regarding your own style.

hoping that my new frame is what i made my mind for the past year,on the paper sketch its another thing as in real,though.

stop thinking in categories,be yourselves and ride free

Edited by FamilyBiker

In regards to trick/trials aka 24" as most people have deemed it:

Some people are going back to their roots but using a more versatile bike, often Inspired's, which have helped the market and scene considerably.

Others as said before, got bored of TGS (using the term loosely), or the opposite, got bored of bmx and didn't want to go all the way back.

Some don't even ride too much, and 24" bikes are very good for those just looking to go out and social/ do some bunny hops.

Then there's the small minority who've just got into trials from watching Danny and have no previous experience or are coming from a DH background and just want to have some fun. I think the competition scene comes across as too serious, which is fair enough obviously.

There's really not much more to it than that. I'm in the first category i suppose, and still feel the 24" bikes really aren't bmxs. I still own 2 bmxs and 2 mods because of this. 24" is it's own breed and not a replacement. You can happily go out on 1070mm stocks and do bunny hop manuals, or ride a short mod and ride like the BS dudes.

I have a Zoo Piranha for pure trials and NS Suburban for pure street.

What I found with the street trials bikes coming from TGS back ground is that I simply try to sidehop, gap, and do other trials moves that I do on my Zoo.

Of course, it would be possible to practice street moves on the 'street trials' bikes,

but it's hard when I am not really forced to learn the street moves because I could just pedal kick and use it as a trials bike.

Then, I get angry because I can't go up as high on a 'street trials' bike.

With the NS, it's got high gear and no rear brake, I can't even attempt to pedal kick or do any trials on it.

So when I ride my NS, I am simply forced to practice bunny hops, manuals, and other actual street moves.

PS: I will add that trials is the first discipline of riding that I started, so it's hard for me to do anything else other than the TGS trials moves.

Edited by Sam Song
  • Like 1

i would say its a chain recation from riders like chris agrigg, ryan leech and geoff lenosky who have inspired riders like ali, danny ect to make the videos that are inspiring a whole load of new riders to the sport, from dirt jump riders to bmx riders.

the more riders come to the sport from other types of bike skills they will bring along different styles and new moves that will inspire a new generation of riders.

Nothing.

-bring the hate-

Aside from the fact it's a far more versatile way of riding, on far more versatile bikes that open up a wider range of riding outside of 'pure' trials? Yeah, nothing.

I'm not a street rider myself, but more recently I find myself watching more street videos over all the TGS stuff I'd normally watch. Far more fun to watch and I'd bet its fun to ride too. For example, I'm a huge fan of Pavels riding and his videos, but the likes of Clean 2 have been my favourite watches this year.

I've had a play on people's street bikes, and while they're not wholly my cup of tea, given time I could see myself getting into it and properly enjoying it.

Don't say nothing, when I'm almost certain you spoke to me about getting another street/jump/park bike on Facebook a few months ago because you were bored of trials.

• Like 1

I'm not a street rider myself, but more recently I find myself watching more street videos over all the TGS stuff I'd normally watch. Far more fun to watch and I'd bet its fun to ride too.

In defense of the dedicated TGS riders, you have to filter through allot of crap to find the good ones. I like watching TGS stuff, but it seems people throw out videos regularly with little effort so i don't watch them much.

To name only a few that i can remember, Rowan Johns, Kyle Livesley, Neil Tunninclif and Rich Pearson. There are others i know, but can't think off the top of my head. I got so fed up of looking through the TF videos section, it's as repetitive as filtering the bmx video websites.

GETcreative was also aimed at the TGS too. But i feel allot of people got put off because the segregation some are making between each discipline. Though it was real cool that the novice group was won not only by a 26" rider, but one who wasn't British. I think the only trick he had in the video was a manual? Yet it was very spiced up, smooth and well video'd.

GETcreative was supposed to inspire others to make more effort in their videos.

Interesting point to note; not a single 'street' rider complained about the winners pack of spins.. I wonder if a full on street rider winning would have been met with a sea of bitching about it not being 'proper trials'? Just food for thought. Personally I don't care much for the opinion of the general trials world anymore. I have a wicked short attention span and most people seem to enjoy dragging this debate out over many many years, fuuuuuuck that!

• Like 1

For me, I just go and ride my bike. My style is definetely streety, I prefer to ride things with a bit of speed and be more flowy and creative, however I dont purposefully classify myself as a 'Street' or 'TGS' rider when on my Inspired, I just go and ride. With the Hex, Inspired have created a bike that feels good no matter what you do with it/how you ride, I rarely even think of it as a trials bike now...its just a bike.

Without stirring up too much bitching, how 'TGS' riders can say that 'Street' isnt proper trials or is BMXy is beyond my belief, if you look back to old videos with the likes of Ryan Leech, Jeff Lenosky, Martyn Ashton, Chris Akrigg, heck even old Danny Mac videos, what they were/are doing is simply riding trials. Theres nothing new in what is perseved to be new riding styles, only pushing the boundaries. I'd go as far as saying that the TGS style of riding is newer fad than 'Street'.

Having drifted away from the forum, its nice to see this topic and think its business as usual here......

I don't agree with that bit - Trials originated from mods and practising for comps.

Actually trials originated from bmx type bikes so basically the stuff you see in the new clean vid is taking trials back to its 'roots' if anything just with a fresh look / twist.

http://youtu.be/0Lf9sWXRW24

Lets not go through all this again some people like to pogo around on the rear wheel and count inches and other people like to do 180s and wallrides its as simple as that.

I always thought trials originated from motorbike trials :(

The stuff in clean has absolutely nothing to do with the roots of bike trials.

Sorry to go completely off topic here, only just read through the rest of the thread.

Heres where the trials we ride originally began -

Thought people might like the history lesson :)

Its HP or Heinz, both red sauce at the end of the day...

Everyone ask yourself, am i riding a bike? Do i have fun doing it? Do i try to do back wheel hops, sidehops, to front moves etc etc.

Street trials is still trials just executed differently.. Do park bmx riders hate on flatland etc etc?

Edited by Miss-Higgy