time for a serious talk about fat bastards...

ogre

I wondered what the tf view is on the rising number of fat people is. And why is it almost a tabboo to adress the issue directly? I feel that the more fat adults there are. The more obesity will become a norm and being that large eill become acceptable this cant end well surely... currently a third of children leave primary school overweight. So something does seem to be going wrong... discussion goooo

As I said on facebook, it is totally acceptable to be fat because you can do what you like with your own body.

"A third of children leave school overweight", yeh, and I'm in line to be the new pope... That'll be based on BMI, which says that I'm overweight, simply because I'm 5'11" and 190lbs. I've got a small amount of fat on me, but I'm definitely not overweight, because it doesn't effect my health or my ability to do things.

Why do you have such a problem with fat people anyway?

I don't get what the problem is. The fat people I know are happy to be fat. If you're fat, you don't have to spend hours each week in the gym or running about, you can spend that time eating burgers, and burgers are nice. Plus, if you're fat, you actually do less damage to the economy than healthy people: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/9359212/Obese-and-smokers-less-of-a-burden-on-the-NHS-than-the-healthy-who-live-longer-report.html

You might live a shorter life, but you spend it all either in the pub, mcdonalds, or watching telly, all of which are nice things to do.

I honestly do not understand why people have such a problem with other people being fat. I could understand the smoking ban, as second hand smoke is harmful and smells funny, but walking past a fat person in the street doesn't increase your chances of lung cancer, and they cost the NHS less money than you...

• Like 1

Man, working in the supermarket you see loads of seriously fat bastards.

There's this one lady, who works for us, and she's so fat she has to walk down the entranceway to the tills sideways. In fact I think she still struggles.

I used to eat a right load of shit, and I was 13 stone at that time. I kind of realised that to get any more overweight I would actually have to try and eat more, eat when I'm not hungry, eat more shit. I don't get why people would do that.

If the measure of a person's worth is in what they can do, then why choose to be fat when it just limits what you're capable of.

you would have to define 'fat' too, as in a bit chubby or morbidly obese? its a broad term.

if you're getting at the really fat fatties it's definitely not right, i know a few people whom are a bit overweight (brother-in-law is a big fatty) and it's your own responsibility at the end of the day. no-one else makes you fat, neglecting your body to the extent that you do irreparable damage is your own issue no-one else is to blame. i remember back when i was a kid (just shy of 28 now) and seeing a fat person was a spectacle, now the tables have turned and seeing a normal weighted/thin person is the spectacle. the increased number of overweight people does coincide with the convenience lifestyle we now have, the amount of 'general exercise' we now do is far less and you don't get fat by leading a healthy lifestyle and eating right do you....

we now live in a culture where its always some-one else to blame, like 'it's mcdonalds fault' , 'it's genetic' or 'it's advertising' are poor excuses and i have no sympathy for some-one who refuses to accept responsibility for their own actions i live in the same world and im not fat. i disagree with gastric bands (and other related surgery) being available on the nhs, this will be at the expense of some-one else receiving treatment for a illness that couldn't have been avoided vs some-one who neglected them-self to the extent it becomes a life threatening condition (i'm not saying all fat people deserve to die here, but they don't just turn up and get one either. i've seen plenty programs where some-one 'tried' to lose weight and failed, but still been awarded the procedure). this only fuels the 'some-one else will sort it' attitude vast majority of people have in today's time, and there is no easy fix.

. I could understand the smoking ban, as second hand smoke is harmful and smells funny, but walking past a fat person in the street doesn't increase your chances of lung cancer, and they cost the NHS less money than you...

Fat people smell funny too (Y)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jyh_G0z2qN4

Fat people are the summary of society. People believe they can do what they want, how they want, when they want. Can't work because your overweight, boom, disability benefit, develop diabetes, here, have this treatment. Golly, your to heavy for our facilities, lets spend a fortune on whats currently a minority. What ever happened to self dignity???? Why is it that years ago sprt in schools was standard? Now it's a big thing to get kids into it? Perhaps if there was more sport on the tele instead of PPV kids would see it and go out down the park and pretend to be gary lineker kicking a ball about or Robin smith next time they play cricket? To have got inspiration!!! The Olympics was proof enough surely? A few weeks of top class sport and how many people, of all ages are now interested in getting involved????

Smokers are as bad. I've been proper messed up with crohns the past few years and sat in hospital watching nurses work their arses off, say what you like about the NHS but the work those people do is monumental, for very average wages and, as I observed, very little gratitude from those who they helped. If you opt to abuse your body, you sort it out! That bullshit about the breast implants was a joke. Expecting the NHS to bale out a failed bid at vanity! Obviously, if a woman had them for reconstructive purposes after cancer etc that's different, but some divvy Katie price wannabe tart getting them done so they look good, tough!!!!!

this riles me.........

Possible that it's evolution? When the ice caps melt and we become water based creatures, the blubber will stand us we

Its not evolution, its devolution, people turn into vegetables. It goes further than the NHS to. As a fireman, on more than one occasion I've helped in incidents based around obesity. One time the brigade Urban search and rescue team had to cut the side of a house out to get someone out! and it also puts us at risk of injury trying to move them manually!

What about flights though. I'm 11 stone and slim yet I am still only allowed the same baggage allowance as the fat b*****d weighing 30 stone crammed into the seat next to me. In my mind we should be weighed before boarding so they take that into account for baggage allowance and also fuel allowance. A plane full of fatty Americans won't have nearly the same range as the same plane full of Ethiopians and that's a scientific fact. Do the yanks pay more fuel duty? Nope.

Should probably point out that although strong of opinion I've been 11 stone since I was about 16 with I guess well below 10% bodyfat but have never set foot in a gym and eat what I want. Metabolisms are wonderful things.

• Like 1

Dave you're just a jammy b*****d. I used to be like you up until about 18 months ago and now, well i'm not. But yeah i can't understand how people let themselves get to the point where they can't live there life in a "normal way", it's a self induced disability.

There are obviously exceptions to that statement, people with medical condition etc. But as a general rule it's caused by over eating and idleness.

What about flights though. I'm 11 stone and slim yet I am still only allowed the same baggage allowance as the fat b*****d weighing 30 stone crammed into the seat next to me.

Could you be on the desk in an airport serving some morbidly obese porkers and tell them they have to pay more?

People will choose to lead their life in whatever way they want at the end of the day.

If they're happy the way they are, so be it. But, I do think there are boundaries as to being obese and hugely overweight.
I have no issue with someone being of a larger nature, but I'll admit I will look at some and think "how on earth have you managed to get yourself to that size".

Obviously I have no idea as to their past, lifestyle etc.. but I dont see how it could ever get that bad.

I was pretty chubby up until about 13-14, when puberty hit me like a f**king train and my metabolism shot through the roof. Lost a shit load of weight, and gained muscle through riding and the gym.

Pretty happy with how I am now.

People should be allowed to be fat, and if they're happy that way then that's fine. If not, they can do something about it.
But the people who get themselves to the stage where they need expensive medical help (or are heading that way), need to seriously consider what they do before it becomes serious.

Snip

How anyone can abuse their body soo bad is beyond me, it's even worse when they make up shit excuses for it like "Oh I don't know how I got this big" or "it's not my fault"...

Well clearly it bloody is your fault and I'm going to guess that it has something to do with your ridiculous diet and lack of exercise.

Scientifically though, the whole children obesity epidemic thing is complete bullshit propaganda. We ran the statistics and looked at the research methods whilst I was at uni and it's actually only more like 17% not a 1/3rd or half.

Also Muel, don't post something from the telegraph saying that they cost less than healthy people, because that is ridiculous on every level. Fat people are a massive (no pun intended haha) burden to society and the NHS considering that fat people are more likely to develop CHD (coronary heart disease), Type 2 diabetes and be at a further risk of strokes and infarctions - that's just scientific fact, not some f**k wit reporters two cents.

What really buggs me though is this new talk of taxing sugary drinks - How about f**k off ! Why should every other person who enjoys sugary drinks have to pay extra because some bloody beached whales can't control their diet. It's actually discrimination, factoring weightism and if the government allow that then I shall propose that I be allowed to throw burgers at fat people. I think it's only fair

Edited by isitafox
Offensive content
  • Like 4

Also Muel, don't post something from the telegraph saying that they cost less than healthy people, because that is ridiculous on every level. Fat people are a massive (no pun intended haha) burden to society and the NHS considering that fat people are more likely to develop CHD (coronary heart disease), Type 2 diabetes and be at a further risk of strokes and infarctions - that's just scientific fact, not some f**k wit reporters two cents

Normally these days, I tend to try to be civil and reasonable on here, but on this occasion I'm not going to...

1. If you want to reply to me, click the quote button, that way I get a notification about it.

2. Read the article, it's summarising the results of a scientific study. If you had looked beyond the fact that it's from the Telegraph, you might have noticed that the first line of the article says "Research by the Institute of Economic Affairs argues". Equally the title of the article says "Obese and smokers less of a burden on the NHS than the healthy who live longer - report". The report shows that they are NOT a massive burden on the NHS, and that healthy people are actually a bigger burden overall. (Might not be true, but it's what the report states that the investigation found).

3. Don't tell me what to post and not what to post. It's a perfectly valid contribution to this debate. If you disagree, provide some evidence to disprove it, or alternatively, f**k off.

The rest of your reply honestly sickens me. How can you go through life being so vile and judgmental towards other people? Do you also hate people of a different colour of skin because they're (allegedly, I disagree) a massive drain on the economy? How about old people because they're living too long and costing a fortune in pensions?

Just to prove that I am actually attempting to be resonable and not just ripping all of your reply to shreds, I will agree on the point about childhood obesity. I don't buy it either, a 3rd seems too high. I'll also agree on your point about sugary drinks, taxing them highly is crazy, considering they already have VAT on them.

• Like 1

And you're no better for judging me :)

I'm entitled to my opinion and that is my opinion, I don't like fat people. Simples.

I'm not discriminating anyone though am I? Absolutely pathetic. I'd expect that from a 12 year old but not someone who's been to uni.

I wonder if you'd feel the same if you got hit by a car and the paramedic on scene was obese? I'm guessing he'd rather not be around you either then.