Why Inspired frames have vertical dropouts?

clerictgm

*Don't have* must be in the topic.

Isn't it really STUPID?

1) You can broke hanger (that may be really hard to find and you will have to wait and of course - spend money).

2) You can broke tensioner.

3) Tensioner spring weakens with time + tensioner by itself eventually bends.

4) Even if tensioner not bent - it gave some unnecessary friction in the drivetrain => more rolling resistance.

5) More unnecessary weight.

6) Looks like shit.

7) Bike without it becomes more reliable.

Why is this beautiful tensioning system isn't in every bike yet?

post-30941-0-87537900-1378278633_thumb.j

Edited by clerictgm

ah,marino dropouts(pic)

you´d know if you tried that a chainwheel wears unevenly due to the fact youre pedal kicking only with one quarter of it,leading to loose and tight spots when the chain runs.the tensioner solution is to avoid that slack points,or at least you dont have to readjust tension every other ride.or youre just aiming for a certain chainstay length,your chain would be loose in most cases

thats why i see bikes with snailcams always have a slack chain in "good foot forwards" position

Edited by FamilyBiker

What happens when an immovable idiot is hit by an unstoppable moron?

wtf?

edit:if i got that right,being an unhumourous german,you guys should have a coffee or 2 before posting something.

imagine yourselves a winking smilie behind that.

haha

Edited by FamilyBiker
  • Like 1

/\ Those are nice dropouts.

The original reason for it was to allow people to run gears if they wanted to. Quite a few riders who bought Fourplay and Hex frames from TartyBikes when I worked there were talking about running gears, and having vertical dropouts allows that. The Fourplay/Hex frames are supposed to be pretty versatile, so it just helps out in that sense. The Arcade is more focussed, so putting horizontal dropouts on there isn't as much of an issue.

• Like 1

How is the axle kept in place with the new type of vertical adjustment system (like on the new Arcade, the Marino, Ozonys, Zoot Pro and others)?

Mostly, there is just one screw. Ozonys have another one perpendicular to the chain direction to press the slider onto the frame to prevent

it from moving forwards under chain load, so do the others also rely on this principle, but just use the axle screw for this instead?

Or in other words: Does it work properly, i.e. better than the annoying snail cams?

Frames like the Zoot Pro and the Marino pictured at the top use a screw to push the axle back to achieve the correct chain tension whereas frames like the new Arcade, standard Zoot and many others use chain tugs like on a BMX which pulls the axle back to achieve the correct chain tension.

I personally would say it's only better than snail cams as you don't need to modify the spacers on a 135mm hub or squeeze them in between the dropouts, some chain tugs tend to get bent and snap with heavy use and with the bolt tensioners if you're not careful vibrations over time will run them loose till they drop out of the frame. There's pros and cons to all the different tensioner methods!

• Like 1

How is the axle kept in place with the new type of vertical adjustment system (like on the new Arcade, the Marino, Ozonys, Zoot Pro and others)?

It's horizontal adjustment, not vertical.

Most frames use a variation on a system designed to feed a bolt through the front of the dropout to push the axle rearward to tension the chain. With the Arcade it uses a more traditional chain tug setup. Both systems seem to work well really, haven't really heard complaints from anyone about them. From my own experience, I've been running the V1 Arcade tugs for over a year and a half and my wheel hasn't slipped once.

The Marino tensioners I've got (simple bolt through the front of the dropout as Mark described) is totally fine too. I do have to make sure I re-nip up that bolt after doing up the axle bolt, just to be sure - as long as I do that the wheel doesn't move at all.