Marino, why do I bother?

isitafox

I'll be honest, after the last load of aggro I had trying to get a custom frame off Marino I swore I wasn't going to bother again but with him being pretty much the only option I thought I'd try again. For those who don't know I had a nightmare dealing with him previously when a frame I ordered turned up missing some major features which were the main ones I'd needed to go down the custom route for, I was happy overall with the fact he sorted the sitiuation out pretty quickly and made me up a replacement which I received shortly after but the original problem was a result of extremely poor communication.

Anyway, as I said after seeing how he was supposedly turning the business around with a new jig to make the frames better quality and improve the turnaround time I thought it was time to give him another go. I went down the proper route of sending for a quotation via the website and then I waited, and waited, and finally managed a reply after contacting one of his sponsored riders to chase him up. I got the usual reply asking to confirm the details (which I had to resend as when I put them on the original quote form they disappeared?) a few days later and I replied literally within 6 minutes, this was on 3rd October and despite chasing him up I have heard nothing since.

I know, having been told by his riders and seeing the thread on here, that he has been busy finishing off the Archives he's sent over here but also from reading that thread it would appear they have now been shipped. I've checked the Marinobike FB page and it would appear I'm not alone as there is a message posted by another guy which roughly translates as "because they do not respond, I sent them mails, but no response". I said to him last time that I wouldn't mind the slow responses from him if he just had the courtesy to let you know that that would be the case, everybody gets busy but it doesn't take 2 minutes when you're already sending a message to just add that information on.

What pisses me off the most is I have already got most of the bits I need for the bike and was really looking forward to riding it but now I think I'm just going to sell it all (no doubt at a loss) and not bother with the build.

Rant over!

why is it that you need a custom frame?

What you getting, keen to hear what people like to have!

Thought tbf, patience clearly isn't getting you anywhere. You can't run a business like that, look at all the others. Customs can often be a pain the arse, though Triton were always good with me, so they're an exception. I've numerous horror stories with bmx brands too. But when dealing direct with the builder, you'd think shit would go to plan, he obviously has a problem with people/ basic business skills. No offence to him of course, but the evidence supports it.

It's a shame someone who appears keen to improve and build upon his brand hasn't really got the basics of communication down as yet, you're throwing him money ffs.

What you getting, keen to hear what people like to have!

Thought tbf, patience clearly isn't getting you anywhere. You can't run a business like that, look at all the others. Customs can often be a pain the arse, though Triton were always good with me, so they're an exception. I've numerous horror stories with bmx brands too. But when dealing direct with the builder, you'd think shit would go to plan, he obviously has a problem with people/ basic business skills. No offence to him of course, but the evidence supports it.

It's a shame someone who appears keen to improve and build upon his brand hasn't really got the basics of communication down as yet, you're throwing him money ffs.

Would rather not say yet but I can guarantee there will be some hatred towards it!

Problem has been solved now. Had an email apologising about the poor response and offering to make the frame this weekend at a discounted rate but I'm not going to bother with that. I have been offered to have my frame built by a friend who fancies a project so I've taken them up, he's pretty local and easy to get hold of and should anything go wrong when it's finished will be more than happy to repair it.

• Like 2

I bought one off him fully built, yeah it was second hand but still in very good nick and to be honest I cant fault it.

yeah there's better frames out there and yeah theres frames that look nicer and have higher build quality but at the end of the day not with the price tag he was using so yeah maybe he couldn't compete with the main manufacturers but for what he charged if you were clear enough with your pds then you got what you asked for.

Making a frame isn't so hard. You can do it by yourself if your hands grows not from your arse.

If you find some good welder you can build some Inspired-like quality frame.

For example:

4abf7c8ef879a4217d17aa6ca93426f8.jpg

About Marino, this is pretty funny how isitafox whining. Custom frame is custom, you need to wait, even for reply sometimes. If you don't want to wait and have a better alternative - why are you whining? Just don't order anything from him. And why my friend not whining about half-a-year waiting for his Rolls-Royce?

Edited by Clerictgm mk2

He's not whining about the lead-time on the actual frame. He's f**ked off by Marino's piss-poor communication

I bet your 'friend' didn't have to wait days (or even weeks) at a time for a response out of Rolls did he? No

Your arguments are f**king laughable

• Like 4

When the friend receives his Rolls it also won't have +10 degree camber, 13" wheels off a mini or mismatched seats...

LuuuuL. Marino has geo mismatches or not? Why the KEKK one half of TF says that he has mismatches and another half says that he's frames has perfect geo?

He's not whining about the lead-time on the actual frame. He's f**ked off by Marino's piss-poor communication

I bet your 'friend' didn't have to wait days (or even weeks) at a time for a response out of Rolls did he? No

Your arguments are f**king laughable

You're right, but Rolls-Royce's not made in Peru from water pipes and costs truckload of money. By the way I have a time to wait for new frameset but I don't want to get Marino for some reason.

At the same time I want some cool frameset but y current frameset is pretty cool, but I'm afraid to brake a frame, it's now the oldest part of my bike.

Edited by Clerictgm mk2

What I also want to say, that things isitagox whining about are pretty normal in "world of customs".

For example there is legendary engineer/welder in Saints Petersburg - Pinigin, that made stuff from "AMG"(Al+Mg) and titanium and parts he's made are ultra strong and reliable. But you need to wait for a week to simple response sometimes!

5e5a841e4ccfae66d8b966495cc22b1f.jpg
365bfda7d04c5ce1e73b85f0c4a91155.jpg
5d1276dbc4cee353656342cf259d08af.jpg
0ed98eb58a9bd8b730af192825e6bd61.jpg
8738ff0cf48766637fa3babae1f477c8.jpg
7e5bae035a21fba5d9964568455b2a6b.jpg
305529f1acf95752a1d763b09fb34c40.jpg
672c787a01d03bb16ed19604424a07e8.jpg
a86b3ea1517d3a5135efe2422ac56ff3.jpg

Edited by Clerictgm mk2