The Top Gear Thread

Smo™

Methinks they're kinda flogging a dead horse these days... Do they really expect us to believe they just used an airport without permission, or set up a street circuit in a town having not asked anyone if it was OK?

Gah. As an engineer at heart, seeing something done any worse than as good as it can be pisses me off. That episode was far worse than it could have been.

It's just becoming more and more staged. I much prefer the races where it's just filmed as is. And when shit really does happen you know it's real. Also when they improved the hover van for it's second run, it obviously couldn't drive on the road.. probably didn't even have wheels, do it kind of defeated the purpose.

Edited by JT!

It's just becoming more and more staged. I much prefer the races where it's just filmed as is. And when shit really does happen you know it's real. Also when they improved the hover van for it's second run, it obviously couldn't drive on the road.. probably didn't even have wheels, do it kind of defeated the purpose.

To be fair I doubt the races have ever been real- it would be impossible to film them if they were.

I've always thought they were. Obviously planned and a lot of the artsie footage is shot post race. But generally the races are pretty uneventful...

Id wish they did the older style races again.

The race between the Peppercorn A1, thè Vincent and the Jag was fantastic.

That was brilliant. It looked genuine, Clarkson shovelling like a twat and covered in shit, I much prefer old school technology like that. Its the tornado A1 Sam. Its now the most modern steam locomotive running

That was brilliant. It looked genuine, Clarkson shovelling like a twat and covered in shit, I much prefer old school technology like that. Its the tornado A1 Sam. Its now the most modern steam locomotive running

Its a Peppercorn Class A1 Pacific named Tornado. LNER/British Railways design, non survived the end of steam so they built a replica/new build at Darlington.

Edited by Echo Lite 09

• 2 weeks later...

:lol:

I was sitting on the settee watching that, I actually said out loud "I bet JD will be stood up for this bit with a tear in his eye and his hand on his chest".

I rather enjoyed that episode!

Edited by Muel

• 5 months later...

I find it difficult to overlook the fact that it's all staged and there's probably a diver in that tent to satisfy health and safety demands. Guess that's what Top Gear has become, got to live with it, change one's expectations and still enjoy the show.