The Top Gear Thread

Smo™

I believe I was brought up replacing it with the word 'lion', but I can't quite remember. Either way, I don't think that being brought up saying a rhyme in a certain way means you suddenly forget what it contains if you wouldn't use that word usually...

Anyway, Clarkson sacked. I'm not surprised, and I'll be sure to tune into whatever show he ends up fronting on Sky/ITV/C4.

Now, Auntie Beeb. Give us the shows we've already paid for, including Clarkson.

People who were brought up saying that rhyme years ago probably wouldn't even realise they were saying it

Well my memory was of catching a "tiger" about by the toe. I genuinely didn't know there was any racist connotations until I heard the original (so to speak) when I was an adult.

I heard lots of "words" growing up it doesn't mean I use them without care as a conscious adult now, it's fairly easily to distinguish what's acceptable and what isn't.

I also hope that 99% of the population as you suggest were brought up to hear that rhyme, and continue to use it now.

They were off air for around 2 years so I can cope with another 2 years till they return on a different station and probably under a different name. Hopefully, with a station that has little regard for PC.

here not the PC was the problem, as BBC kept Jeremy in, just gave him warnings, but the assault to one of his colleague that was over the top, as usually at many workplace

They had 2 chance: keep Jeremy in, and basically tell the world and BBC employees, that you can do whatever you want, as long as you earn us big bucks, or sack Jeremy to show that BBC is a workplace, where everyone is get treated equally at serious matters..

They did the right thing.

here not the PC was the problem, as BBC kept Jeremy in, just gave him warnings, but the assault to one of his colleague that was over the top, as usually at many workplace

They had 2 chance: keep Jeremy in, and basically tell the world and BBC employees, that you can do whatever you want, as long as you earn us big bucks, or sack Jeremy to show that BBC is a workplace, where everyone is get treated equally at serious matters..

They did the right thing.

I'm aware of that, perhaps should have worded my post better. From what I understand, Jeremy was surrounded with controversies due to political incorrectness. I'm sure his record influenced the decision somewhat, especially if he was on his last warning.

I respect and hate the BBC for sacking him at the same time.

He always said that it was tightly scripted and he was the writer, so ultimately any 'fault' is down to him and his decision making. It's the same with this - if anyone went into their job and punched someone in the mouth then they'd be in the shit, irrespective of their past record. He acted like a dick and got disciplined as you'd expect.

Although some of the more recent Top Gear episodes had been pretty weak, they were still good to watch and it'll never be the same without him. I'd much rather he was still presenting it and things were as they were before, but he knew the situation he was in in relation to the BBC and chose to punch that guy after acting like - from what all reports suggest - a massive bellend. He left them with no choice.

From what I understand, Jeremy was surrounded with controversies due to political incorrectness. I'm sure his record influenced the decision somewhat, especially if he was on his last warning.

He was indeed, but I am 100% sure that these did not helped him, but this assault would get him a last warning or sacked for the first time, without the PC stuff

• 2 months later...

It would be most fitting for top gear to go out with a bang. I can see why they are desperate to continue it though.

Yeh, but it's actually been going for 20 years so it's worth just trying to refresh it IMO.

I think Chris Evans will be alright. He's no more annoying than Hammond.

Lot of love for Chris Evans. Not so much for the fact he categorically stated that he wouldn't take the job. Bit of a dick move. Still, I'll watch it no doubt. I definitely thought it was going to be Susie Perry* though.

*absolutely certain that's the wrong spelling.

Edited by JD™
  • Like 1

Chris Evans would be a good fit. Proper petrol head who doesn't really do the political bullshit like clarkson did. Big Ferrari collection as well. Wonder who the other two will be now. Glad Hammond isn't going back on, can't stand him

Lot of love for Chris Evans. Not so much for the fact he categorically stated that he wouldn't take the job. Bit of a dick move. Still, I'll watch it no doubt. I definitely thought it was going to be Susie Perry* though.

*absolutely certain that's the wrong spelling.

Like Bing said, there's still going to be another two people. Would be interesting to see a female and see how that works out.

Shes properly annoying though!

Top gear as it was is dead. I hope the BBC can accept that. To try and recreate what they had would be a big mistake.

It needs a refresh and a new format, just like Clarkson did in 2002.

Hopefully it'll change, and a new show will emerge that's pretty good, and go on to be successful. If they try and continue the old style, with new presenters, it'll always be compared, and probably fail.

Listened to Chris Evans every morning for about 3 years, I like him. Can always be sure of getting a text message read out on R2 if it's about cars too!

• Like 2

is 5th gear still going? Is Plato an option?

Guy martin has been suggested, but I can't see it happening.

Suzi Perry won't be able to do it as she's forever flying all over the world for F1.

I think the format will HAVE to change, as Chris Evans can't be jet setting all over the world regularly due to his R2 breakfast show commitments.

As somebody who has read Guy Martin's autobiography, I would feel fairly certain he wouldn't want to do it after what he says in there (Its a great read by the way, highly recommend it!)

Read this recently too and that's also the impression I got. He also said in a recent interview that no-one want's to be the person to follow Jeremy Clarkson, but 'never say never'

Maybe in another 3-5 years when he's done with racing and Top Gear as we've known it is forgotten he might re-consider