The Top Gear Thread

Smo™

I'd say at least half the people I know who are avid Top Gear fans have no interest at all in cars.

That explains why Top Gear has gone shit then :D

Would like to find viewing figures for 5th Gear, appears Top gear got just over 6m yesterday - I bet it will be less this coming weekend!

Nedell and plato together own. Topgear is missing serious driver presenters.

That's a very good point. Tiff and Jason (and Vicky) actually give proper feedback on what's good and bad about the cars they drive and can give real comparison while making the program entertaining. Top Gear's just plain stupid these days.

• Like 1

Actually I hoped that there will be a big change.

Do you remember in last year at the News, when they mentioned, that Porsche does the same car, the 911 every year, and expect to be successful and they laughed, as they did the same? I hoped that there will be something change here :/

The thing is, my complaint with it isn't that it isn't more of a serious car show, it's just that they're getting to be really quite crap at the scripted humor and silly stuff. They've done plenty of episodes in the past where reviewing cars was way down the list of priorities, but it was still really good because it seemed half genuine. The budget super-cars springs to mind, and the budget coupe's that aren't porsches, plus plenty of others. None of them gave real consumer advice, but they were much better to watch than some completely implausible pissing around.

Remember they used to do stuff like firing cars over the edge of a cliff down to a giant target with a caravan in the middle, or jumping a double decker bus over a row of motorcycles. It was actually more ridiculous than what they do now, but they didn't try and mask it as part of a 'test' they just went "we're going to do this, because it'll be funny, and we want to." Which was much more genuine and much more entertaining (regardless of interest in cars.)

As for this weeks one, meh, it was still better than most stuff on TV, but nothing special like it used to be.

The Alfa thing was a bit silly, spoiled by Hammond as usual. He needs sacking. But the rest of the show was pretty good. May doing the military thing, and that Maclaren. What a machine. Clarkson is right, its a proper game changer. That Ferrari and the new Porsche are gonna have to be rather special to beat that

The Alfa thing was a bit silly, spoiled by Hammond as usual. He needs sacking. But the rest of the show was pretty good. May doing the military thing, and that Maclaren. What a machine. Clarkson is right, its a proper game changer. That Ferrari and the new Porsche are gonna have to be rather special to beat that

I think that Alfa race was rather good. It showed, that it is a beautiful and fast car, although not the most usable on an everyday basis, and personally I do not remember them saying "I love this brand so much" and made similarities between their son. It was strange way of saying that, that is true, but I liked it :)

And that McLaren... I hope that Jeremy will not change his/her name to Jennifer

I can see they're using the P1 to keep audiences glued to the telly each Sunday for another few weeks :P Stunning car, incredibly good looking too.

edit:

Clarkson's comments are starting to get boring. Discrediting a car for aquaplaning is about as silly as it can get. I used to find it annoying that half of the show was staged but got over it and still valued the show for the usually sensible and exciting car tests - a rare combination. Now it seems everything in these tests is blown out of proportion. I watched the moment that bimmer broke loose a few times and he didn't even react. So either he can't drive fast for shit, he's just fishing for arguments to prove a point no matter how ridiculous they get or it was staged with him deliberately driving into a lot of standing water. If he has any driving skills at all (and he should have judging by his job) his automatic reaction would be to countersteer and not sit motionless in a spinning car looking at the camera. Also, the M135i is not a replacement for the 1M. It's like saying the M550d is a replacement for the M5.

Edited by Greetings

• 1 month later...

When they were standing in front of the pub with the Chelsea poster, and were talking about that top gear were the first westerm faces they saw was genuinely funny

Not sure if serious... That was the most badly set up bit of the show!

• 11 months later...