The Top Gear Thread

Smo™

I find it difficult to overlook the fact that it's all staged and there's probably a diver in that tent to satisfy health and safety demands. Guess that's what Top Gear has become, got to live with it, change one's expectations and still enjoy the show.

It's been scripted and stuff since it started again in 2002... I hear this sort of thing a lot, but not sure how anyone ever thought it was any different?

is it even a problem?

I mean would you actually risk yourself as a middle aged man an old f*rt at dangerous condition?

It is not a reality show, it is a car show, one of the best in the world, it needs loads of work to keep the level

well, maybe not in this very case, but there are some places that seemed to be dangerous, but my question is the same, as when it turned out Bear Grylls did not really risked his life

Would you risk yourself because of a series?

If they do a good job at the editing and organizing, would you really feel that the guy is in real danger?

On that part, I reckon diver would be an overkill, but as for a car series/ comedy series, I reckon it should not be necessary that they risk their life, as you do not expect the movie actors to risk their health at the set or die really in the movie.

I think the point is, when it first started up, they at least tried to make the dangerous stuff look real, and the funny stuff look spontaneous, where as now in my eyes it's less enjoyable because they take it to stupid levels, and nothing funny happens that doesn't look like the punchline was decided by a comity. Stuff like the cheap car challenges in particular at least had some element of realism in them, which made them really funny and entertaining, where as it's lost that charm now. Don't get me wrong, it's still entertaining, and I'll still be watching, but I do think it's not what it used to be.

I've genuinely started to like the american one recently, as the presenters seem to be much more genuine 'car guys', and they seem to concentrate on putting themselves in situations that will always end up being entertaining, without having to be entirely scripted and planned, with (seemingly) genuine comedy on the presenters behalf a lot of the time.

It's also well worth checking out a YouTube series called 'RoadKill' on the motor trend channel, it's all muscle cars and drag racing, which isn't really my thing normally, but if you're into cars you can't help like it in my eyes.

Roadkill is awesome, and i would definitely advise Mightycarmods on youtybe they are small Nd awesome

I think the reason why I love USA top gear is because it's new, they show something that I have not seen

Roadkill is awesome, and i would definitely advise Mightycarmods on youtybe they are small Nd awesome

I think the reason why I love USA top gear is because it's new, they show something that I have not seen

These guys are awesome, never fail to make me laugh

Bull. Shit.

Who wouldn't have rather watched a PROPER factual performance review on three decent 80's hot hatches, rather than that crock of shit.

I would LOVE to see a PROPER thrashing of those cars against modern rivals like a Fiesta Zetec S, a 208 and say a Corsa Limited.

It's upset me to be honest, and next time I see Jeremy I will tell him.

Edited by Pashley26

Agreed! Hot hatch test was promising, then it just went stupid as normal, all the jokes so obvious and set up, and not funny :(

An actual test of old vs new hot hatches would have been so good!

They did that a few years back though when they lined a load of hatches up and did a drag race, think the mk1 Golf GTi faired pretty well (could have just been comparing old Golfs to new though???).

I like the comment about Nova's spending more time on their roofs, my cousin rolled his 1.4SRi on the way to work one morning!

Really? That sucks. I'd have thought there would be more than enough motoring enthusiasts in this country for them to stop wasting our license fees on destroying fake supermarkets and blowing things up with clearly branded tanks and do a proper car show. There's already enough trying-too-hard-to-be-funny entertainment shows.

for me this episode shown, that yes, they are old now.

Hot hatch if their youth from the 80s. that was 30 years ago!

They would need someone young..ish. Like in the american top gear! there is Tanner Foust, who is a professional driver, and you see some amazing driving from him and not because they cut it well

Actually I was watching some older shows on Netflix... And on the 21st series of Top Gear, i feel like it needs a big refresh

But actually it is not too bad, it is just old

Really? That sucks. I'd have thought there would be more than enough motoring enthusiasts in this country for them to stop wasting our license fees on destroying fake supermarkets and blowing things up with clearly branded tanks and do a proper car show. There's already enough trying-too-hard-to-be-funny entertainment shows.

Oh aye, think about it, if serious car stuff was more popular than silly stuff, then Fifth Gear would get better ratings than Top Gear.

I'd say at least half the people I know who are avid Top Gear fans have no interest at all in cars. I even know one lad who drives a 0.8l Suzuki Alto, purely because it was the cheapest car he could buy new and he wanted something with a long warranty so he didn't have to know anything about it or have anything to do with it beyond picking up the phone if it broke down...