The Top Gear Thread

Smo™

Thought the giant elephant was pretty funny. I enjoyed it all apart from them rolling those 4x4s down the sandbank, I just didn't see the point?

Was nice to watch a new top gear though, I look foward to seeing what Evans can do with it. I hope it steers towards a bigger budget 'The Classic Car Show' that was on channel 5, that was a decent show apart from Quentin Wilson!

He said he's sticking with his radio show, so I'd imagine that that would write off any of the bigger adventure/roadtrip type things they used to do meaning it'd have to focus more on the cars themselves as they wouldn't be able to rely so much on the location or situations they found themselves in?

In terms of the show itself, I think the restraint was probably intentional themselves as they'd always played that kind of repressed role. They were both visibly a bit upset at the end though which I think showed all it needed to show.

I agree that it's just desserts for Clarkson, however the other two were kind of obliged to follow. Seems as if they were instructed to stick to the script, although it seemed like they wanted to say more, for example thanking for the support and following over the years. Yet I feel this was denied as it's the end of their roles in Top Gear, but not the end of Top Gear itself. Two of the Three presenters over the last decade or so should've got to say what they felt (within reason) after that length of service.

I didn't get that impression. Seemed more to me like they had nothing else decent or constructive to say, and that they wouldn't want to bitch or complain about it.

They don't work as the two of them, so the way I saw it was that they wanted to do the bare minimum. Why waste time talking in the studio? Just play the films.

• 11 months later...

I watched it last night, and the thoughts I put up on FB after was that it was like having a substitute teacher who wanted you to think they were cool while still having to stick to a strict curriculum.

In short, it was shit. I really hoped it wouldn't be, but they haven't tried to change anything and that's a mistake when the old three were such an integral part of why the old way worked. 

The rallycross track is a cool idea though.

The theme tune and the power lap times should have stayed. The rest of it should have been completely redone from the ground up. The presenters are all wrong. They should have got some proper motoring journalists to do it and gone a bit more down the serious route I think. A bit like fifth gear but with production value.

I think we all know that the old crew with amazon are going to be doing a lot more on the entertainment/epic adventure challenges side of things, rather than ordinary car reviews. And I don't think that Top Gear should have tried to compete with them on that.

Even the celeb interviews were a mess. Of all the things I was expecting Chris Evans to be bad at, the celeb interviews were one of the last things I expected.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Mikee said:

The theme tune and the power lap times should have stayed. The rest of it should have been completely redone from the ground up. The presenters are all wrong. They should have got some proper motoring journalists to do it and gone a bit more down the serious route I think. A bit like fifth gear but with production values.

Been saying this since Clarkson was axed, make it a motoring show again, not an exercise in expensive big boys japes and fun :)

• Like 1

Enjoyed Top Gear: Extra Gear, was exactly what I hoping Top Gear was going to be. Sadly it just felt like they'd removed Clarkson and co, shoved in Evans and Joey and tried to give them a similar script that they just struggled to pull off. It all felt a bit forced and pulled off with a distinct lack of charisma. I did enjoy it, just mainly when there was a lack of Joey and Chris talking.

3 hours ago, JT! said:

So very clunky. The double interview was awkward. I think in the next episode the numbers will drop dramatically.

This, the BBC seemed to be calling the first episode a triumph because they had attracted decent viewing figures. But surely irrespective of what you thought of the line up changes etc., most people were curious enough to watch it and find out. I don't think next weeks figures will be as good.

• Like 1

Having only lasted through the first 15 minutes the rest of the show may have been different.. But Chris Evans needs to stop shouting/being like an over excitable child.

They have put new characters on the show and given them the task of 'acting' like the old crew which, judging by the feedback, they attempted to pull off in the most cringey and unentertaining way possible. I think they need to fire all the writers and tailor it to the people presenting. The show has to mature a long way before I'll start watching it, maybe I'll try again next series (if there is one). 

• Like 1

I am not too worried, as it was Season 1 episode 1 of a new series.... yet they named Top Gear

I think they should have changed the name to Extra Gear ( the main series) as the Top Gear was running for 10+ years in the old format, and the name and the format just connected in people`s mind

I would give them a bit time, to change and revise and calm down, as personally I felt like Evans were really under pressure, and he was indeed.

They should show off the other talents as well, Sabine is like Stig, but quicker and weirder ( in the best way possible), Chris Harris... is Chris Harris, Matt LB was surprisingly okay, Chris Evans needs to bring his radio voice back, and chill out.

I was expecting waay worse tbf

Lets be honest... even if it was superb people would still hate it.  Theres of a lot of people hating on it just 'because'.

Evans needs to calm down and stop trying to be Clarkson and put his own spin on things.  Give it a few episodes and i hope it will settle down into something better.  I hope Chris Harris isn't banished to Extra Gear only (the Sabine segment should have been on the main show).

They also assumed everyone was up to date with everything on the internet, no introduction of the new presenters etc.

• Like 1

I haven't watched it yet, but this is exactly what I think too... The Clarkson / Hammond / May spin-off was always going to be cocking about, the BBC needed to do something different because they were never going to compete directly. Making it more car-focused would win kudos from actual car people. People who just want to see entertaining shit with cars as the sideline will watch something else.

5 minutes ago, craigjames said:

Sack off CE and Matt LePlonk, and make Sabine, Chris and the other guy the presenters.

21 hours ago, Mikee said:

They should have got some proper motoring journalists to do it and gone a bit more down the serious route I think. A bit like fifth gear but with production value.

I think we all know that the old crew with amazon are going to be doing a lot more on the entertainment/epic adventure challenges side of things, rather than ordinary car reviews. And I don't think that Top Gear should have tried to compete with them on that.

The extra gear show was the biggest let down. They had a chance for something genuinely interesting and fun about cars, but just failed miserably.

The main show was a complete pile long ago, and having Chris Evans reading the voice overs like a kids tv presenter just made it excruciating. 

11 hours ago, TrialsIsHard said:

But Chris Evans needs to stop shouting/being like an over excitable child.

That's basically who he is though - it's who he was when he was presenting the Big Breakfast, it's who he was presenting TFI Friday, etc.  That seems to be why they signed him up as he'd bring 'energy' to the show and has an interest in cars/has the money to buy lots of cars.

I just can't really stand him, and just hearing him trying to bite Jeremy Clarkson's style on the intro was too much.

It won't ever be what it was without Clarkson, Hammond and May. 

Thats Amazons lottery now. The BBC had a chance to make it a properly informative motor show, but seemingly attempted to try script it in a manner suited to the old cast. 

I'll be watching the boys over on Amazon solely, until the newbies on top gear make it their own show.