The Car Thread

MadManMike

:D

The front coilovers have maybe 5 threads left, but the subframe scrapes and sparks on flat looking roads! Haha. I'm going to work on the rear end to get it down when the money comes along. Get the arches flared, bit of camber, and a lower profile tyre should sort it!

A faulty injector could cause a misfire? But it couldn't cause a misfire in a different cylinder...

It's not the HT leads/coil pack, and it's not the spark plugs, and the next thing up in the chain on my car is the ECU. It couldn't be the cables leading to the coil pack, surely then it wouldn't spark at all.

This is certainly puzzling.

Have you run the fault codes? If you have what were they? Have you checked the crank position sensor? The wiring to the coil-pack could easily cause an intermittent fault if the wire was deteriorating or has a dry/poor joint. Always worth checking the coil-packs earths too. They often earth through their mountings, and missing or loose bolts or corrosion can cause all sorts of trouble. In fact just earths in general can cause problems.

As Alex above, Angry Thread has gone so this'll have to do!

Went to a main stealer to look at a few vans last week. Person I 'needed to speak to' wasn't there, nobody had access to any keys, so I left some details and was promised a call. Nothing.

Called the same place today to arrange to go and see a particular van. Went round, person I'd spoken to earlier that day wasn't there, hadn't told anyone else I was coming, and all the keys were locked in the safe, to which nobody had access.

Bloody useless! :angry:

Can't really tell the height from that shot Tom, but I'm sure it's good :P

I'm pretty happy with my Passat at the moment, the cheap coilovers (TA-Technix) have really settled in well and feel a lot more supple now, I'd still like to get slightly softer springs up front sometime, but they're a lot better than when I first fitted them. Only things to do now are:

Spray the plastics all satin black as they're ridiculously faded.

Fit remote central locking.

Find some cheap half decent wheels.

Keep an eye out for some B-4 door cards so I can have proper rear door speakers.

Fit 3 door mk3 golf GTI front seats so I can fold them forwards for even more practicality (because sometimes a 6'5" load bay's just not enough haha).

Oh, and It'll soon get stickered up with "RJI Performance Fabrication" and "Telos Sports Cars" logos/advertisements, which will probably look shite, but oh well, needs must!

post-4312-0-63148700-1339706139_thumb.jp

(Edit, Damn auto-correct changing B-4 to before, what if we want to talk about 4th generation Passats!)

Edited by RobinJI

True story, looked a lot better on the phone!! Still got 30-40mm of thread on the back! Rediculous. Here's a better one, fronts his weekend..

IMAG0457.jpg

Can't decide on wheels at the minute. Narrowed down to 3, just cant decide on going abit euro or sticking oem with some helios rims.....

Hopefully manage to pick up a few votex bits for it and a r36 spoiler soon.

Nice, that'll look awesome with the front down too! For now it just looks like you're transporting a few too many deceased ladies of the night ;). I've always found that rear coilovers have much more adjustment in them than fronts. My front's will run out of thread with still about 40/50mm left on the back on both the Scirocco and Passat, and lots of other cars I've seen have been the same.

I'm trying to decide a similar thing with passat wheels, not sure whether to do with something shiny or something OEM+ Either way I'll be going for fairly narrow tucked wheels, so I can still have travel to load the car up without it scrubbing. Plus wide tyres will hurt my fuel economy, and I don't want any more road-noise.

Yeah, hoping to get the front about level. Maybe go abit lower but not loads. Alarm keeps going off now thou seeing as its got mental reverse rake, lol, keeps thinking its being towed away!!

There's no competition anyway robin, that neeeeds Schmidt th lines!

Have you run the fault codes? If you have what were they? Have you checked the crank position sensor? The wiring to the coil-pack could easily cause an intermittent fault if the wire was deteriorating or has a dry/poor joint. Always worth checking the coil-packs earths too. They often earth through their mountings, and missing or loose bolts or corrosion can cause all sorts of trouble. In fact just earths in general can cause problems.

All the fault codes are here -

P0036 O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Range/Performance (Bank 1 Sensor 2) C-31

P0136 O2 Sensor Circuit High Voltage (Bank 1 Sensor 2) C-32

P0141 O2 Sensor Heater Circuit High Voltage (Bank 1 Sensor 2) C-31

P0141 O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Low Voltage (Bank 1 Sensor 2) C-31

P0141 O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Open (Bank 1 Sensor 2) C-31

P0202 Cylinder 2 injector circuit low C-24

P0202 Cylinder 2 Injector Circuit Open C-24

P0304 Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected B-22

P1613 Immobiliser No Or Wrong Signal Immobiliser C-05

The immobiliser fault has been there for ages.

There's no way of telling which of the different versions of the same code it is without Tech 2, but I ordered something like that so that'll help me track it down.

Thanks for the advice to look at the wiring, I'll do that tomorrow. I'll also try putting all the bolts in, I tried it with a few out... if it's that I'm seriously going to kick myself.

Update, I put those two extra bolts in and the misfire's gone. I started it 3 times (and drove it about a bit) by which time normally the EML goes off but this time it didn't. Maybe I have to leave the engine off for longer in between.

Anyway, if the misfire's gone at present, but if it keeps coming back that suggests very strongly a dicky ECU, to me.

If it goes and stays away I'm still going to go poking around and clean the throttle body and the injector valves if I can get to them. I'll breathe a sigh of relief and spend the last of my money on the brakes and steering instead of the electrics.

Thanks, Robin.

My bad reaction on Wednesday must have changed something because I was sent these pictures yesterday, clearly propaganda - especially the one with somebody working on the car.

17776147501360917997714.jpg

16925847501220918011764.jpg

Some goodies arrived today:

img0004xbz.jpg

Need to go there today, going to take a sedative before setting off this time.