The Car Thread

MadManMike

Okay, so next stupid question. The transponder in my key operates on 125khz, so in theory this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RFID-125KHz-EM4100-Card-Copier-Duplicator-5-Writable-Cards-5-Keyfobs-Tags-/370961382162?pt=UK_BOI_Industrial_Supply_Security_Equipment_ET&hash=item565f057b12 would be able to clone it on a new key?

I'm guessing it wouldn't work as car key specific cloners seem to cost much more, but can anyone tell me why it wouldn't work. I am not electronically inclined.

Tomorrow is shaping up to be an epic day. Going off to an airfield known as Rallyland in the tiny 4x4 Daihatsu but will be pulling it on a trailer with the big Bimmer. There's lots of snow and ice there and usually there's so much driving you get sick of it half way through. Plan is to play around in the Daihatsu until it breaks down or I get bored, then get into the 740 and just drift until the day is over. Happy times :D

• Like 1

As much as I love Brentacre, they don't seem anywhere near as good for second cars as they are for daily driven cars. Still very, very good customer service, and very flexible, just not as competitive price-wise.

This is a brilliant idea:

Bastereds! I've got CAD designs on my laptop from about 18 months ago when I had that same idea. Designed it all, just never got in a position to build it. Still, glad to see I wasn't the only one thinking that way.

Edited by RobinJI

^^ Looks like the only good use for airbags :P

That bed looks a bit suspect though.

I thought that with the bed, mine was a bit different in the execution, a different suspension linkage and with sides to the bed to improve the second moment of area and keep the weight down/strength up. I was aiming for ~1350kg gross weight with a ~1000kg load rating. My idea would have been to have the air on the back of the tow car as well as the trailer, so the whole lot could be dropped down still hitched up. The other major advantage he didn't mention's that when the trailer's empty, it's not sprung for over 150% of it's actual weight!

You still have the annoying issue of not being able to open the car doors over the trailer arches, but with a remote for the air you could at least jump in with it up high so the door will clear, then drop it down and drive off.

Can't find any screenshots of mine, and I don't have Solidworks on my laptop anymore (we use Creo at work.)

Edited by RobinJI
  • Like 1

So having had my car back for about 3 days, the turbo is again making the "police siren" noise. Naturally this worries me, as it did that before it blew up and there's a few people online with horror stories. If it does go, it's covered by warranty - however that's from a garage 200 miles away.

I also noticed that what sounds like the passenger side of the engine bay constantly makes a hissing sound, which carries on for a couple of seconds after the engine is switched off.

Any ideas??

Mike, if the problem happened when you were low on oil, and it's back already after just a few hundred miles, I'd be worried about a possible blockage in the oil supply to the turbo.

Insurance wise, I also didn't have much luck on a second car with Brentacre, heard amazing things from others, but they quoted me £780 on the A3 at 380bhp, compared to just £500 from greenlight.

So yesterday I'm going round the speedbumps in a fairly empty car park by driving through the car spaces. There's a parked car in a space up ahead so I pull back onto the main car park road, I hear a horn and look to see some woman is trying to speed past me, if I hadn't braked or turned away I would have had a pug 206 in my passenger door...

Who's in the wrong?

Edited by Jake.

If you effectively swerved onto the road in front of her then you need to be considerably more aware of what's going on around you. If it was clear what you were doing (and remember most people aren't so aware of why you might be going round rather than over the speed bumps) then fault sways more towards her. Too many variables to say from your post though really.

• Like 1