The Car Thread

MadManMike

Anyone know anywhere decent in the southwest too get tracking done/adjust camber straight/alignment on lowered cars?

I had mine done at Truro tyre center in Threemilestone. 4 wheel full camber/castor/toe, and because the tools clamp to the rim, ride height isnt an issue.

Think it was about £53

Edited by MartMini

My noisy engines doing my head in.

Turns out the metal I found in my oil as done very little damage at all, if any.

Weekend will consist of a new timing chain, removal and cleaning of all hydraulic lifters and cleaning of all oil galleries and new oil pump being fitted.

S3 for sale.

Really? Already?

Managed to pick up a bargain Jetex 2.5" SS resonated cat back exhaust, which as mine has just started to blow, is nice. Yeah it's Jetex and they aren't the best, but at the price I paid i'm happy enough. Now to get that 3" downpipe sorted I got from the ever friendly Mr Rainbird.

Really? Already?

Yeah man!

Remember years ago when my life was like an episode of Wheeler Dealers; I want that again.

I have a 12 month plan to get myself from a £4000 S3 to a £16,000 Carrera 4S (or the like) without getting myself into any debt or credit.

So fingers crossed, get the S sold for £4000, put that money into something like an e30 325i Sport, save up a grand, make the e30 mint, use that money + the saved up money to buy something a little more expensive and wash rinse repeat until I'm up to Porsche money.

The other option was sell the S, get a loan for 15k, pay it off over 5 years and the monthly payment would be the same as I pay at the moment. But couldn't really see that as being the best idea, and wheeler dealing is much more fun.

• Like 2

Boring Jardo post ahoy.

Thought id have a good at cleaning one of the focus wheels to see if i can get away with just getting the wheel faces refurbished or the full wheels.

Before:

post-1-0-88676500-1408096132_thumb.jpg

After a clean with some cheap wheel cleaner:

post-1-0-36875200-1408096141_thumb.jpg

Iron X first pass:

post-1-0-93120200-1408096148_thumb.jpg post-1-0-95668200-1408096155_thumb.jpg

Iron X second pass:

post-1-0-31357500-1408096164_thumb.jpg post-1-0-90006600-1408096170_thumb.jpg

Iron X third pass:

post-1-0-51333600-1408096178_thumb.jpg

After a quick go with some compound to remove some remaining marks:

post-1-0-33621000-1408096186_thumb.jpg

Conclusion

They are not great and still have various blobs of corrosion to refurb the lot.

• Like 3

So the car has been advertised for half a day.

I've got £500 deposited into my bank account to hold the car until a lad comes down from Wolverhampton to view on Sunday.

I open up Edition 38; I've been offered a straight swap for what has been one of my bucket list cars since I was 16.

A Schwarz black big bumper 2 door Mk2 with Edition One Recaros, gold Compomotive CH's, Weitec GT coilovers, Eibach roll bars, VR6 brakes, G60 rear beam and a 240bhp 1.8t with full QPeng MAF-less stand alone management.

post-1-0-64893000-1408130655_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-12233100-1408130656_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-66058600-1408130656_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-17899300-1408130657_thumb.jpg

Jesus.

So do I start my journey with 4K in the bank, or a lovely 1.8t Mk2 which will owe me £4000?

I'm kind of a sucker for black and gold, but even with that it still doesn't look that amazing.

In semi-related news, I worked out my mpg for the drive back from Leicester that I just did and I averaged 44.9mpg which was significantly better than I was expecting. No intention of getting into hypermiling or giving any real semblance of a f**k about that, but it was good to get an actual idea of how my car handles that drive rather than just assuming it's a piece of shit.

Well I told Mr Mk2 to sling his hook, for the best I think.

The buyer of the S3 is a really good lad, and I'd rather sell it to him.

Spotted this, emailing the seller to view as we speak.

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/honda/integra/honda-integra-type-r-16v-------------------2000/2702340

Try to buy it for £3000, spent £200 getting it MOT'd, £200 tarting it up, a day cleaning it and get it on eBay for £4995. Et voilà, hopefully £1300 in the kitty.

For 4K I could build a nicer Mk2 than that I think.

Viewing the Mk2 Sunday, if I don't do the deal then the other guy is coming down at 3pm.

If the bodywork's genuinely tidy then I really doubt you could. There's probably over 4k in parts to build that. You'd have a lot of fun building something like it, but I don't think you'd come off better financially at all.

I must say, I love mk2's but that doesn't do much for me. I've never thought big bumpers look good unless they're very oem looking, and in black it'd have to have all the red GTI trim. That's just my taste though. I'd never try any put someone off a mk2, they're a brilliant mix of being old enough to be interesting and cool, but new enough to be genuinely usable day to day. Plus, I like the idea of you getting back into cool old stuff, you were good at cool old stuff.

911's are an odd one for me, I have a lot of love and appreciation for them, they're exactly the sort of thing I adore with a mix of history, motorsport heritage, odd-defiance of the rules and cult status. BUT I could never bring myself to own any watercooled 911 that wasn't an RS, and I'd be picky picky about colour/spec even with aircooled ones. They're a very spec dependent car in my eyes, show me the right one and I'll make a mess of my underwear, but show me the wrong one and I'll completely fail to find any interest at all. I think the 911 I've got the most want to actually own's probably a 914. (OK, it's not technically a 911, but it's close...)

Edited by RobinJI

Well this is what I want.

Porsche_964_by_PvP.jpg

Let's mess our underwear in unison.

I won't stop until I get one, I don't care if it's a 964 Clubsport as above, or a Targa. I just want a 964.

I would also be more than happy with an SC Carrera.

Porsche_911_SC_Coupe_LZ-BV-34_pic2.JPG

Or if they drop down to 15k, a 996 Turbo.

S0-Photo-du-Jour-Porsche-996-Turbo-S-782

I make no mistake that a 996 will ever appreciate in value during the time frame I am working with; but I doubt they will plummet either. So a Carrera 4S also falls into my wanting list.

I'm also under no illusion that I have missed the boat, and the only appreciating 996 is a GT2 Clubsport. I know this...

• Like 2