The Car Thread

MadManMike

More slow progress (longest engine build ever haha - grabbing 5 minutes here and there rather than doing it in one hit).

Rings have been gapped, fitted to pistons which were fitted to rods blah blah blah. Oil pump, chain and tensioner fitted. Yeah, that's the old pickup pipe for those who've spotted it. I have a new one standing by but figured since this one is in good order functionally I've just given it a clean out and it'll do for running in the engine (or at least the first oil change) so makes sense to use it for that (Y)

20160301_113235_zps44mdufnb.jpg

20160301_143457_zps7iojos9u.jpg

Unfortunately I put a bit of a dent in the oil seal so have had to stop there until a new one arrives.

Did get another sump through today though (bargain price of f**k all as it's in a pretty nasty state. Here it is (next to the one from this engine I've already cleaned up) after a quick spray with carb cleaner. Will get it all nice and clean of any stubborn deposits then it'll be time to work out a template for some baffles, perhaps...

20160301_201025_zpsb8zxvllm.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Danny said:

Sam: I take it you don't want that manifold then :P? How come you've taken it back out?

George: I hope you give it all a decent clean before its done :P that engine bay is ming mong.

Ill still have it! 

Its using an awful lot of fuel and I cant afford to keep running it/throw parts at it at the moment to figure out why it's using as much as it is. Nothing like it did on the ITBs but it's still thirstier than it should be. Money is really really tight :( 

Edited by SamKidney

On 29/02/2016 at 9:44 PM, SamKidney said:

That's a really anal reason to fail a car. For starters the exhaust hangars are generally designed to adequately support the exhaust if one or more hangars fail. If one was insecure id have argued against that. 

Failing it on wiring secured by a cable tie is also pretty rediculous. 

Very common for testers to do this. It looks suspicious if a 10yr old car has no fails or advisories for 3 or 4 years in a row.

Yeah, but they'd normally put right the incredibly minor things and give it the ok. Instead they kept me waiting another 48 hours before a retest, bellends. 

Picked it up this afternoon, asked them what the hell they were playing at. Paid for the test and took the car, just won't go back and will advise others avoid them. 

Went for a spirited drive before heading home, all is right with the world again :)

• Like 1

Need something made along the lines of the attached picture (although only the top half mirrored really). Needs to be beaded both ends, one end 63mm, the other end 40mm. Basically to join 2 boost pipes. Each end needs to be big enough for the bead, and a jubilee clip...so probably about 25mm (50mm ish total length).

Andybody game?

image.jpeg.a00a784f796ffda80ec83a18aad46

Just wanna introduce Barbara into this topic

2001 Saab 9-3 Aero 2.0ltr Full Pressure Turbo
3" Full Stainless Turbo Back
Monstrous intercooler, 3" boost pipes.
2.5 Delivery Pipe
BSR Induction kit
Maptun Performance Dumpvalve
Fully Polybushed
Currently at 300bhp, 425nm. Flying machine considering its 1800kg!

10661931_10155657981070363_8427415399270

• Like 2

I'm on the Isle of Man this week, the mountain road is awesome although so far this week it's been covered in fog, cloud, snow, rain, ice and darkness the times I've driven it.

Feels awesome to drive the roads my dad raced in the 60s :)

edit: ah yes, I'm in a 1 litre ecoboost focus, hardly the gutsiest of engines for spirited driving :D

Edited by forteh

3 hours ago, Bucky said:

Very common for testers to do this. It looks suspicious if a 10yr old car has no fails or advisories for 3 or 4 years in a row.

Or they've just been well maintained? 

I sorted any advisories from the previous test and more that needed doing on my Civic very shortly after I'd bought it. 
My boss is a willysniff of an MOT tester, knows I despise him, and it went through with zero advisories last Friday despite him trying to do the works with it haha. 

We also look after an old Mk2 XR2 Fiesta that hasnt failed or had a single advisory for the last 6 years. Its used as a daily too. 

I do understand your point, though usually we tend to replace bulbs/small niggles there and then to get it through as it saves time and generally there are other areas that can be advised on. 

My cars starting to take shape! How it looked when I bought it with 0mods which was rare enough for a '94 skyline 

2A646395-98B5-4814-9445-0CB48D85A8BA_zps78496C20-0DAA-430B-9E26-CBB66248C4AC_zps

How it looks currently 

4EAC47F9-C75C-4C09-8BC9-1EC8C4261BDE_zps

Engine bay starting to come along! Gave everything a bit of a clean, replaced the old shitty silicone hoses and stuck a pod filter on for wooshy noises

B797AC56-D2E9-4B62-9EC2-9CC420163DEF_zps3E64FBA6-3099-473B-81D9-71860D49299F_zps

Ive just taken delivery of these beauty's, Meister R Zeta CRD coilovers, not yet on the shelf but I got them by chance just by phoning the company and having a chat. Gunna get Bellsauto to install these when they do my manual conversion on Saturday because I can't be f**ked :P

597F28C9-6E3F-4477-9C10-7E3AF58F977E_zps834BD96C-4E40-45E2-B979-224AE32FE8DD_zps

• Like 3

My friend has a 1.9 TDI 130 PD, 240k but regularly maintained.

There is light grey smoke when idle/revved, turbo is whistling lots when revved and noticeable leaks on vac/boost pipes. The car has no power, as if the turbo is not working. 

What should I be checking/replacing? I had it on my bluetooth diagnostics thingy and there were no fault codes. 

4 hours ago, CurtisRider said:

noticeable leaks on vac/boost pipes. The car has no power, as if the turbo is not working. 

What should I be checking/replacing?

If it has noticeable boost leaks then the turbo isn't working, it's just blowing air around the engine bay rather than into the engine :P

34 minutes ago, AdamAllen said:

Lexus IS200

Anyone had any experiences with them? always liked them, and they're alot of motor for the money! 

Burn through front tyres despite being rwd, problems with the auto gearbox possible and clutch problems with the manuals. I was looking at them the other day and changed my mind, have a read up on honest johns! 

If the turbos whistling replace it. We've warned countless people that come in with whining turbos on PD engines that it will need changing and they haven't bothered. Que low boost and the worst case scenario is shaft seal failure and a runaway. I've fit 3 engines now that could all have been avoided had they had the turbo done.