The Car Thread

MadManMike

1 hour ago, Mark W said:

Dude - you've opened enough screwdrivered-apart Chris Kings to know how people roll :P

Nothing wrong with using a screwdriver a a punch ;) punched mine open and stretched the spring/ran it basically dry for 3 years before selling it on and it was at least 6 years old before I had it.

I'll admit I am a lot more sympathetic with cars though

Right so I asked my dad to charge my car battery for when I came home tonight and when I got back found that the radio and interior light were being powered without the keys in the ignition. I took the fuse out and that's stopped them (and the central locking) from working, anyone got any ideas how they could be powered without the key set to aux?! 

Lots of stuff will have constant live. Ecu, sidelights, radio, hazards, interior light, clock etc etc. Shouldn't cause an issue though. 

On another note does anyone have any experience in painting brake callipers in a non chav manor? I.e oem silver/black. If so what paint did you use?

4 hours ago, LiamWood! said:

I've used just hamerite smooth black before on calipers. 

Nobby, people bitch about needing high temp stuff but it's never been an issue to any one I've supplied to in the past.

This, I've even just wire brushed them down and blasted with any old black spray paint (a couple of very thick coats a few weeks apart) with no issues/chipping/peeling whatsoever.

Edited by Jolfa

As with most stuff they've changed the formulation of Hammerite in recent years.  Now you can recoat it anytime.  It used to be the case if you didn't recoat it with X hours you had to wait X days before you could.

So this manual conversion is making me want to sell the f**king skyline after all the problems I'm having. 

List of issues is adding up :/
First picked the car up with what was diagnosed as the input shaft bearing having failed.
Replaced bearing, noise still there.
Rattles and scrapes all the time.
Crunches 1st, 2nd and 3rd.
Stinks of hot gear oil with a hint of clutch after even so much as a 2nd to 3rd pull.
Sump plug not even halfway in on the auto box left in the boot so my boot carpet/board is ruined as well as everything else in the boot.
Clutch starting to feel vague.
Clutch pedal developing quite a bad click/movement.
Told my speedo was calibrated to within 2mph, I asked "so the car is going 58 when the clocks say 60, 38 at 40" and was told yes. Turns out it was calibrated within 2mph at 20mph on a dyno and "it's the best I'll get using the auto diff". When the speedo says 60 I'm actually doing 75+ etc. Whether that's the case or not it would've been nice for a heads up as I almost got flashed taking it home (luckily I checked satnav speed).
Garage installed my coilovers at the same time, I've had a horrendous knocking noise and today finally decided to have a look, the nsf top mount bolts were not even halfway down the threads, got a knock from the nsr too but that means seats out.

The garage have agreed to change the gearbox once they've sourced another but I'm not even sure I'd want them to change it now after finding those bolts left undone. Where do I go from here? Replacement gearbox and take it somewhere else to check it over?

Sucks that you've had so much trouble with it man, it'll all be worth it once it's sorted though :)

I'd just go in there and give them a list of all the stuff they've done wrong, get them to fix it and then don't use that garage again - they sound like they have the same kind of competence as I do, in my private parking space with one axle stand and a bunch of cheap tools.

• Like 1

I had a moan at them today and they've ordered a new box from a breaker. Going to watch them install it to make sure no f**king bolts get left undone again and try to get some money back. I paid for it via credit card and paid it back instantly just so it was insured and they are VAT registered. Recently found out they used to be rising sun performance, had I have known that initially I'd have steered well away

56 minutes ago, Azarathal said:

Recently found out they used to be rising sun performance, had I have known that initially I'd have steered well away

I just googled rising sun performance review... This is the 1st reply from the 1st topic I found. The guy was looking for a HKS ECU unlock.  

"Rising sun used to deal mainly in skylines and nobody i know with skylines will let them remap anything. There are many stories on the forums of bad service blown engines bad maps etc the have changed names a couple of times to shake the past. Abbey motorsport is where all the people i know go so may be worth speaking to them. Hope that helps as i said google rising sun performance and look through some of the skyline owners threads for more info"

So they sound like a quality legit place then...

EDIT: by which anyone that changes trading names to escape repeated bad rap throws up a red flag in my book; not to mention someone who deals in something that the requires as much trust as letting someone work on something as rare/advanced/precious as a skyline - it's hardly a Corsa A now is it?

If you screw the eyeballs out of an RB when mapping it or put the AFR in the 15s or some stupid crap like that, the owner can't just go get another one from the scrappy for £20 and slap it in there. And not tightening stuff up then sending it down the road is just unforgivable.

Edited by CC12345678910