MadManMike

The Car Thread

25406 posts in this topic

We didn't want anything huge (ie A6/Passat/Mondeo) hence originally looking at the A4. The car will be a daily for Soph and really we just wanted a 5 door with decent boot space, rather than a big estate, so something relatively small-medium sized suits us nicely and can be hacked about in the lanes without concern.

Unfortunately the 2.0d in the Audis I originally looked at was so shit that every one I went to view was a waste of time so I decided to change tack. Didn't really want anything with a Ford badge because Tart, although they do get a decent writeup. The V50 is a Mk2 Focus underneath so relatively cheap and easy to work on but fairly solid, and handles well too, but in Volvo guise looks a little nicer IMO. Other than driving it home from Port Talbot, so ~15 miles of lanes and a load of motorway driving, I've not been out in it properly but initial impression is really positive. For the money I don't think we could really have done much better to be honest (Y)

We also considered Golf estates and the like, but Soph's last two cars have been Golfs and she fancied something a little different. Her mum has had an XC90 and an XC60 in the past and they were always decent so that helps on the mental reassurance side of things for her, and from what I can tell so far it's a pretty well put together car so hoping that view doesn't change.

That's pretty much where we are in the hunt for a car. I don't fit in a4 estates, Octavia estates I'm looking at the b post with my seat in the right position, as you say Ford<baller status, so it's not left us a huge range.

I did look into subaru foresters for a while but they only tend to come with 2l or 2.5l thirties which isnt ideal.

A quick note - the Volvo front seats are definitely a little narrower than the Golf/A4 seats, although a lot of that is in slightly narrower bolsters rather than the seat itself. Given your stature it'd be worth parking your arse in a set before committing. My view is a tad skewed though after years of standard VAG seats which are basically Lay-Z-Boys so my thinking they're narrow may just be because the VW seats are huge!

You f**ker :lol:

Not fitting in an A4 is headroom, not my behind.

I got that - Just making sure you can squeeze yo fat ass in a V50 ;)

;)