The Car Thread

MadManMike

On 11/27/2018 at 0:40 PM, dann2707 said:

New boi is on the right and he's great. Pic taken from Instagram. Really happy with the purchase. Does 330nm release torque 

IMG_20181126_203912_975.jpg

I really need to get a rattle gun. I’m in the makita eco system battery wise. I think they do a stubby one similar. 

It's abiiiiiiit rattley but only slightly and it's daft things like the arm rest lid but other then that it's lovely, I'm really impressed with it. It's pretty punchy for what it is, and even driving like a dick it seems to be returning 37+mpg.

Dog fits in boot, bikes fit on roof, 5 doors for dogging, what more could you want?

I ordered some replacement Bilstein dampers for my S6 at the end of July, since then the seller has been telling me 2 more weeks, pretty much every 2 weeks. The start of December is long enough so I'm just going to order some coilovers (although 5x the price and they're a bit illegal without a certificate over here but I know a few local MOT (equiv) testers).

The annoying part of the above is that I've been waiting on those to get to my mate so he can send a load of stuff out to me all at once, so since August I've had a billet, hybrid turbo and all the associated upgrade parts waiting for me in an office in Derby. These should now be with me by the end of the year and I'm pretty excited to have 360+bhp :D

You see why coilovers are a smart choice anyway :ermm:

38614576_10155875975816219_3159773548080267264_n.jpg

• Like 2

Cars aren't my thing. I've no interest in them, and I hate that mine dying yesterday has made me realise I've adopted a lifestyle that is almost dependant upon having one.
Edit: That's unfair. I'm interested in how they work from a mechanical/engineering point of view, but not as a hobby.

Had a dodgy Focus Estate - bad electrics - turned out they'd ripped two f**ked looms from separate cars and spliced them together and put them in this third one. ...Yeah.
Mondeo Estate Mk3 - ran great and was perfect (developed a battery drain but disconnecting after use skirted this) but chassis rusted.
Astra Estate - again, bad electrics, never liked this car.
Second Mondeo Estate Mk3 - again, was great, but the turbo actuator and fuel pump have just gone.

I really like Mondeo Estates - they fit pretty perfectly with me - but two dying has put me off a bit. Having a cam-chain is a great reassurance for me, not having to worry about big bills for replacing a belt at X miles.

What car should I get?
My use case points to an estate - often transport bulky items, ride bikes and don't trust external racks, sleep in boot for weekend trips.
Frequent 200+ mile round-trips.
My daily drive to work is 20 miles of country roads/villages, and it's just me. This makes me think I should get something smaller and more eco, but that'd be no good the rest of the time. Economy is a big factor (Mondeos got 60-70mpg standard).
Don't care about gimmicks with the exception of cruise control (not essential but nice).

Considered vans but having back seats is a boon - occasionally (but rarely) need the extra seats.

I want a car as reliable as my bike - it just works, and if something breaks it's simple to stick a new one on. Would prefer the car to have brakes though.

Internet says Passat for size, but the expected mpg and emissions look pretty poor.
Looking to possibly an A4, though it might be a bit short for sleeping in. Potentially an A6.
Skodas seem an option too, maybe?
Definitely not a BMW.

The less expensive the better - normally aim for around the £1,000 mark, but I could just about squeeze £4,000 if it'll get me something super reliable.
£1,000 cars seem to get be between 1-2 years, so if a £4,000 will get me 6-8 years I guess I'm Ok with that.

Edited by aener

10 minutes ago, MadManMike said:

Passat seems to be the car of choice for your situation, but how about a Volvo V60 or V90? (Or the older equivalent, I'm not an expert on Volvo model numbers).

That's a fair point. Forgot about Volvo.
I'll give them a look too.

Some not-quite-estate but not-quite-saloon cars can be fairly spacious too.  I don't really know what it'd classify as, but as an example my Rovers were surprisingly spacious despite not really being one silhouette or the other (not that I'm implying you should go for a Rover). 

I'm not sure what your living setup is like at the moment, but if you've got a little storage space you can always unbolt the rear seats to get your some more space for when you need it too.  If you're only likely to occasionally need the extra seats hopefully the space gained vs. inconvenience of fitting the seats would be the worth the trade-off.  It might help a smaller car like the A4 still be suitable for your needs.  The boot pan of the Focus and 206 I had both ended up being relatively flat once the seats were out, so if you were wanting to sleep in them you'd have enough room lengthways that way without having to kink yourself where the seats would normally be.

36 minutes ago, trialsalot said:

Skoda Yeti.... fully removable seats. Van when you need it. I love mine even though its shaped like a brick.

This was genuinely the first thing I looked at, but the back end looks rather short.
If it was just me and a bike then lying diagonally would be fine, but sleeping two mostly requires being able to lie down the length of the car.
I'm being cheap, but I already have a bad back ;) Haha.

18 minutes ago, Mark W said:

Some not-quite-estate but not-quite-saloon cars can be fairly spacious too.  I don't really know what it'd classify as, but as an example my Rovers were surprisingly spacious despite not really being one silhouette or the other (not that I'm implying you should go for a Rover). 

I'm not sure what your living setup is like at the moment, but if you've got a little storage space you can always unbolt the rear seats to get your some more space for when you need it too.  If you're only likely to occasionally need the extra seats hopefully the space gained vs. inconvenience of fitting the seats would be the worth the trade-off.  It might help a smaller car like the A4 still be suitable for your needs.  The boot pan of the Focus and 206 I had both ended up being relatively flat once the seats were out, so if you were wanting to sleep in them you'd have enough room lengthways that way without having to kink yourself where the seats would normally be.

As the above, really.
Rovers look fine for cargo, but sleeping potentially two just not long enough.
Had a Focus and it was long enough, but three failed Fords... I just want to try something else.

Removing seats is a point though. Save on some weight to bump that MPG by .5!

• Like 1

Ford smax will give you all the space you need, 6 foot completely flat load bed, 7 seats if you want to road trip, comfortable and reliable by all accounts.  Perhaps not as frugal on fuel as the mondeo, I get around 53mpg at 70 on cruise control on the motorway, drop down to 60 and it'll get up to around 55-57mpg.

Again - another one I'd considered. Actually thought of one of those over the late Mondeo, but now I'm scared of Fords :lol: 

I know it's not all the cars that exist, but there's none on autotrader within 50 miles, and even that one's three times my top budget.

39 minutes ago, aener said:

As the above, really.

Rovers look fine for cargo, but sleeping potentially two just not long enough.
Had a Focus and it was long enough, but three failed Fords... I just want to try something else.

Removing seats is a point though. Save on some weight to bump that MPG by .5!

Yeah, I don't blame you for not wanting to go with Fords again.  Yours seemed to be problematic and my Focus was a leaky, rusty, rattly bag of shit.  Part of it was me being absolutely shafted by the garage I dealt with, but there was a fairly long list of things that people said often went wrong with the petrol Focus I had, and basically all of them did.  A lot of it was due to stupid spec ideas by Ford too, so it wasn't the usual kind of failures you'd expect for high mileage engines or what have you.

Nic's Mum has had a few new style Fiesta and Focus models and they've all had to go back to the dealer she bought them from for multiple issues too, thinking about it.  Similar issues to mine with it being mistakes built in to the car as well.  Her heater matrix has shit the bed on her 1-2 year old Fiesta several times now.  Despite the dealer admitting it was a problem that Ford caused they're digging their heels in with replacing it this time despite it being in warranty, and them acknowledging it's a known issue.

Weirdly, the seats on the Peugeot of Dreams weighed a tonne - the seat belt mechanisms in them much have been made of lead or something...

The 2.0 tdci smax is a peugot motor ;)

Apparantly the only real weak point of the smax is the rear trailing arm bushes take a fair bit of hammer, mine were replaced at around 150k.  I use mine as a family bus/load wagon and it just works, may need some front suspension bushes and top mounts looking at in the next couple of years but it's a 12 year old car that has done almost 170k now.  FWIW it flew through the mot with the only advisory being a repeat of the previous year (rear pads getting low and I've been too lazy to change them).

I've been looking after a 05 1.9 TDI Touran for a friend whilst he travels and I've been pleasantly surprised by how capable, spacious and even though its only 100bhp it doesn't actually feel as horrendously slow as i had expected. It has done 189k and apparently has wanted for very little for the 130k he has put on it. Well worth considering and pretty cheap.

Unrelated news, we got a MK6 Golf GT 2.0 TDI the other day to replace the Astra H, I know it's just a Golf but I'm always impressed by these old things as they seem to age far more gracefully than most other brands. We went with an automatic this time and it's so silky, for an everyday car for A to B I don't get why people bother with manual boxes anymore.

5c0ed6f89520d_2018-11-1717_43_36.jpg.315bee143321e9daf6a7d94aa7190c6a.jpg

On 10/12/2018 at 11:54 AM, aener said:

£1,000 cars seem to get be between 1-2 years, so if a £4,000 will get me 6-8 years I guess I'm Ok with that.

Would it cost more than £1000 to get your Mondeo fixed? It can seem silly to spend a car's full value fixing it but buying another ageing cheap car is just resetting the lottery of what could go wrong next. Fixing it on the other hand removes one item from that lottery and leaves you with a car you know you like, you know is mostly good and you know suits your needs.