The Car Thread

MadManMike

109bhp in a mini is huge.

Great work Andy :)

We need to go out for a drive soon!

Unfortunately when i built my engine it was a daily driver so was rather sedate. It could do with livening up a bit now its only a weekend toy.

1330 block

Kent 276 Cam

Stage 3 Head (Done by Rally Equipe in the 60's)

MED 1.3 Roller Rockers

HIF44

Maniflow St2 LCB - 1 7/8 twin box system

Minisport Lightened Flywheel (4.432kg)

X-Pin Diff (4.1FD)

Aldon Yellow Dizzy

Still goes alright but is in desperate need of a tune.

Suspension/brake wise its got most stuff:

Gaz Lowered Dampers

Tubbed Rear Arches

Kad Camber Brackets

Minispares bottom arms / tie bars

Minisport 7.9" 4 Pots

Minifins

Adjustable bias

Suspension/brake wise its got most stuff:

Yeah not far off mine.

Hi los

Gaz lowered adjustable dampers

Yellow dot front cones

Red dot rear cones

2 deg camber arms

Adjustable HD tie rods

Rear camber brackets

Mini Spares rose jointed rear ARB

Fiesta 7.9" brakes

Handles really really well.

Yeah MOT has expired. No advisories the last 2 years though and looks like it'd sail through again... Also has some nice bits on it from a quick glance, uprated manifold, Mazdaspeed exhaust, side skirts and spoiler (don't like these, haha, but they are apparently sought after), almost new roof with heated glass window, new battery - every little helps, but they are mega cheap anyway :D

The ARB does work well, allows me to run a softer damper for ride comfort but keeps it stiffer in the corners. Does mean the back end breaks loose a bit easier though, just have to be more committed and not lift off, otherwise it ends badly!

Those two things are linked... With an arb you need MORE damper (assuming the same spring in both cases is the same), simply because there is more force that needs damping. At the moment it will be under damped in roll and rebounding too quickly which is causing the oversteer - seen this quite a few times.

• Like 2

New thoughts regarding my clutch issue... maybe the clutch plate is sticking on the splines and therefore not able to release from the flywheel? If that is the case then If I release the clutch cover bolts a few turns to make room I could potentially spray some solvent cleaner up there and clean the splines as well as use something to slide the clutch back and fourth a few times whilst the pedal is down?

I used grease, think it was a light smear of copper grease. It wasn't the spline, one of my clutch springs has broken and just showed its munched up face when dad and myself were faffing trying to 'free' the clutch disc.
So my story as of yesterday, I thought it was a cable issue and happened to have my ramps with me so tried a roadside repair
2015-08-26%2010.59.00%20HDR_zpsnto8vs77.
It wasn't possible and the heavens opened, 8 hours later (vs 3 for the actual journey) I was back at my parents place
2015-08-26%2015.55.23_zpsf4m2ua6j.jpg
After lots of help from the club and suggestions on here, I finally found out my clutch spring had broken....damn. So instead of using my workshop (uneven floor and not much room for the crane) I cleared a space in one of the other buildings.
2015-08-27%2015.30.23_zpsws9vuymv.jpg
2015-08-27%2016.48.51_zpsgtrncdur.jpg
So half of the stuffs out, now to drop the subframe and then whip the engine out, I love this job....
2015-08-27%2017.32.18_zpsadhsokzc.jpg
  • Like 1

Got bored. Started taking things apart with no intention of putting them back together for a while:

Short term Forza seat:

11940331_10100918688155302_97019205_n.jp

Now in bits:

11938885_10100918708444642_1179040767_n.

Broken plastic tabs on the inside, rear plastic casing is cracked on one seat and they both need a good clean internally before (hopefully) making up some new covers for them and refitting. Miiiiiiight get away with a repair, clean and refit of the original covers at a push, but would quite like to go a little more custom while I'm at it and to fit the car better. We'll see.

Edit; Sorry for potato.

• Like 1

They looked awesome before you stripped them down :lol: look forward to seeing what you do with them though. Lovely comfy seats!

The sun came out today, so I dug the car out of the unit and gave it a wipe over.

It comes up ok for 17 years old and 230k miles!

91A94B59-E4C4-469F-AB96-7DFEB1BD3363_zps

As it was out, it seemed a shame not to take it for a brief spin:

403CF160-DF08-4A99-A131-548B13433B7C_zps

I even bumped into Rob in his Clio whilst out for a drive :)

• Like 1

They looked awesome before you stripped them down :lol: look forward to seeing what you do with them though. Lovely comfy seats!

Cheeky b*****d :P

If they had been a little tidier then I'd have just given them a deep clean and kept them as they were, but they've a few tears, cracked rear plastics, tabs broken causing loose covers etc. Picked them up for next to nothing, so if it all goes catastrophically wrong then it's not the end of the world. In the unlikely event it all goes right, however...

Das Audi looks tidy. Surprising how well it scrubs up given all it's been through!

Edit; Just found a replacement rear plastic. Casual £225 each. Think I'll stick to my plans of repairing these thanks, especially given that's more than twice what I paid for the seats.