The Car Thread

MadManMike

Lol why now?

The engine loom is a disgrace, I've found a transponder ring wedged up behind the dash with the immobiliser chip wrapped in tape and shoved in it, sensors related to the old intake still plugged in and hanging there so the lights stay off...

Might reshell it and do it properly

Edited by SamKidney

The engine loom is a disgrace, I've found a transponder ring wedged up behind the dash with the immobiliser chip wrapped in tape and shoved in it, sensors related to the old intake still plugged in and hanging there so the lights stay off...

Might reshell it and do it properly

You would totally love my car then the wiring is horrendous soo much connectors just flapping around with no purpose i would love to buy proper kswap harnessess and tidy the car up but it does the job. I took the steering wheel off aswell to find out the airbag wasnt even connected up haha.

The shells are fine and have loads of life left in them and rings for a standard engine are non-existent, so it's got everything else it could have had. It's a top end rebuild out of necessity, really - had new cam bearings, fast road cam, followers, springs, valve guides, stem seals, re-done the valve seats, skimmed the heads, new/ rebuilt pumps, recon distributor, leads, plugs, recon starter, rebuilt carb, flowed the inlet, steel timing gear, all core plugs, new spigot bearing and decent gaskets throughout so not quite just a strip, check and reassemble :P

To my way of thinking, all of the above is a total waste of time if you overlook the basics - shells and rings.

All the fancy rebuilt heads and oil tight gaskets in the world won't make up for rings that are worn out and not sealing on a tired bottom end!

At least you're doing it right now! :lol:

• Like 1

The switched live for my headunit in the Audi was 3 pieces of thin shit wire trailed over to the ignition switch and mashed in...

Lol, I remember doing this in my mk1 golf years ago as a temp fix (was at my mums in Scotland and didn't have any of my tools/bits) until I fired the car up and the insulation on the wire melted immediately and nearly set fire to the dash!

Craig came round to replace ABS sensors that had been giving him some issues:

20150905_121337_zpsan5oyvz2.jpg

Had to get pretty creative as one was rather stubborn, but we got it out in the end:

20150905_122903_zpstha4axoy.jpg

20150905_123200_zpsvpwuwp7d.jpg

Matey drove past again so tried to grab a better photo for Dan/Haz, but took me a while to get my phone out, apologies.

20150905_122434_zpsjaqrybce.jpg

Also for Dan - just saw this :lol:

11924270_1077969098880806_34653783065529

• Like 3

Don't know that Clio, but looks lowered and nice wheels so no doubt a CSer.

My ABS sensors are f**ked as well, keep losing the connection, need to get some more. I had to drill the last lot I changed out.

There's a silver one on the same drive, though I'm not sure if it's his or someone else in the household. Both look pretty tidy from 100m or so though.

The ABS sensors on a Mk4 Golf based car aren't too bad, other then the inevitable seizing on some (like one of Craig's). The only awkward bit really is that they're (obviously) tucked in behind the ABS ring itself which can make it a bit trickier to get them out if they're particularly stuck.

Pressed on and got some work done on the car today. 90% of the interior is back in, exhaust center section replaced for an oem standard section to quieten it down, which it has considerably but I'm still considering a different rear silencer to do so further. Much nicer experience now, not blaringly loud, added back pressure seems to have done some good as the engines running smoother although that may be a placebo, and having the interior almost complete just makes it a nicer place to be.

Start off with a pic in the car park the other day
Up in Leeds we had awful rain the other day and I came to the car and realised the light had done this :(
The covers are in place at the back of the units too
I got a hair dryer behind and dried it out although it's left some water marks in there. I've just come to it now and it's done it mildly again :( Really annoyed as it ruins the look of the whole car
Did a few odd jobs today whilst I had some free time. After Blyton Park the brakes looked like this, they were silver at the start of the year
The rear brakes were collecting rust on the edge of the disc like so
so I wire brushed it making it a tad neater
And out with the trusty wirebrush and hammerite smooth I went over the brakes again
Whilst the wheels were off I gave them a good clean too. They were absolutely filth, haven't washed the car in 3 weeks or so. It might even be 4
Obligatory gay wheel brush shot
Much better
I then fitted the wheels
Tempted to paint the lips of the rear discs in hammerite now actually as you can see the rusty edges.
Also I noticed that one of the rear strut nuts wasn't as tight as i'd like. So I nipped it up. It looked like this before
Now it looks like this
HOWEVER, only one of them goes this far, the other won't budge and is like the initial pic so this is confusing me. What is wrong? surely they should tighten up the same amount?

That's kind of what I meant - for Carthy they're functional, then everyone started copying that and going further and further forwards until it lost all point. That dude's clearly seen them and gone "I want that", but had no real idea what he was doing.

So long as the nylon is on the thread it's OK, first pic needs another turn or so.

Also, thoughts on the Rainsport 3s? My Pzeros are dead and can't get them any more it seems. :(

I wouldn't recommend them at all :(

It's totally ruined the fun of driving fast for me, especially with the thick sidewalls of 15's. I wish i'd gone for PS3's

They're fantastic for driving in the wet though, laughably awesome! But I put them on at the wrong time really.