The Car Thread

MadManMike

Not much to update on with the Porsche, the clutch has performed perfectly and apart from getting some bits ready for MOT, I haven't done a great deal to it

Brakes on both of my cars needed attention, my Porsche discs were tired out but I had a set of nearly new ones that had sat in a damp garage for a while, a quick wire brush and they are fine, they have gone nice and shiny now that they have been used. I also replaced the backing plate and repacked the bearings.

Before and after of brushing down
2015-09-19%2016.14.40_zpsjbatumll.jpg

'New' vs old
2015-09-20%2018.36.57_zps585wcjtb.jpg

2015-09-20%2017.45.11_zpsmi9yyeyo.jpg

It just passed its MOT, so I'm happy about that!

And the daily Astra discs were replaced with brand new all round, bargain at £88 posted the lot! I didn't realise my front discs were 300mm, pretty large for a small car I thought. One of my front ARB links had popped its joint so I pressed it back in, probably need to order a new one though.

2015-09-26%2010.20.10_zpsqntdyvsq.jpg

Two new rear shocks and springs will be required for the MOT in December, hopefully that is it though. This means more money and time for the 924  :cool:

Edited by CurtisRider
  • Like 1

It's natural, they're epic cars for the money!

I had my geometry done last week, it's a totally different car now - my car has been broken for a year, I knew it was bad, but now it's all set up well it's amazing. Down side is that it makes me want to go faster round corners!

• Like 1

So this may have happened today:

37omBCC.jpg

Ended up waking up at 5:30am for no apparent reason, so watched qualifying then took Twix for a walk round some form of reservoir (?).  Got back, jumped in the car then hit the road.  Had a really good run down, met up with my Mum for some lunch and stuff, then drove up to the Elan Valley.  Had a walk around there, then drove the ridiculously good roads in that neck of the woods.  Headed back for coffee and cake, then drove back up again.  Sun just started to set as I got on the boring dual carriageway/motorway section on the way back.  Blue skies, warm and sunny throughout otherwise.  That car is so much fun to drive.  Came back, had some food and walked Twix again, think it's time to chill out...

So, following on from this, some photos...

fAH5m9s.jpg

The roads around the Elan Valley and around the Ystwyth Valley in general are pretty sweet.  Basically, a lot of this:

r33gj9M.jpg

Super good visibility for the most part so you can send it without really having to be too concerned.  There are a couple of narrower bits though, including bridges like this (which show how ridiculously low the water is now.  Enjoy that, Birmingham):

FIROlit.jpg

Once you've done the 20 or so miles of fun roads around the valleys you get to this point where some swoopy switchbacks lead you up to a T-junction:

TcO6vYZ.jpg

At that point, you can either go left and do a cool drive through more valleys, over some hills, past some abandoned slate mines and shit or stick a right and do a fun road that leads you back down to the nearest town (Rhayader):

m78egbk.jpg

/\  The road on the left of the shot is the one I just came over on, the one going off to the valley system that ultimately leads to Devil's Bridge and Aberystwyth.

jCeT9r6.jpg

That's another photo more to the left that kind of shows the road I came over on, and also the beltin' weather.  Speaking of...

kqiQThv.jpg

The 23 miles or so from Llandrindod to Newtown are fun.  A good mix of swoopy shit and some super tight hairpins, all with pretty good visibility and - unusually good weather too.  Luckily the sun was setting behind me so I didn't have to look into this the whole time.

In case anyone's interested in the Ystwyth road, it's basically a load of this:

yLHyzTV.jpg

And a bit of this:

hEDbZBv.jpg

Some wiggly worm action - this is just the Rhayader-Elan Valley-Devil's Bridge section.

2BA21oA.jpg

The roads are a bit wider than they look in those, think the Google Car wide angle's made it look pretty needle-dick.

Edited by Mark W
  • Like 2

My wheel nuts I ordered last Wednesday morning have still failed to turn up. As a result I can't fit my 15"s so I'm still on 16"s with shitty mix and match tyres. 

Brake pads, what are people saying? Honda people seem to bum DS2500s but I've heard otherwise. Sure it was Greg with the Teg who went for another option as advised by you guys and seems to be getting on with them well. I've got what I think are some cheap eicher pads and they're bloody awful :lol:

Weird seeing my car somewhere I've never been before, haha, but those pics confirm I need to go... Can't believe the weather you're having this week!

Haha, sucker ;)  In fairness, it's been unusually good.

Those roads are relatively doable/accessible in a single day in fairness if you did want to blitz them at any point.  They'd probably be pretty good in the Fury, but I'd imagine the 2 and a bit to three hours of cumulative dual carriageway/motorway wouldn't be especially pleasant.  I was amazed at how comfy the MX5 was in fairness!  Didn't get any aches or anything, and wind noise wasn't even really much of an issue until I started cracking on a fair bit more in 5th with the top down (which you'll be pleased to know was from the moment I left the dual carriageway in North Wales).  Fuel wasn't too bad either.  I think it took about a tank or so, but bearing in mind the distance and stuff involved I thought it was pretty reasonable.

Were some "interesting" moments finding some damp spots under tree-covered parts of the road courtesy of the Westlake tyres on the back, but I was able to clock what was going to happen from far enough away it wasn't much of an issue.

EDIT:  Also, thanks again for letting me borrow the car, it's been awesome :)  So good to drive!

Edited by Mark W

Had the 1 Series remapped this afternoon. Definitely quicker, but the main thing is the turbo lag has been mostly mapped out. Liking it a lot. 

Anyone had any experience with the little 3 pen kits from halfords for chips? There's a couple of little bits that could be improved on the car, but definitely aren't worth spray work. If they're worth a go I'll get one.