The Car Thread

MadManMike

I guess this is aimed mostly at the encyclopedic knowledge of Tarty Adam but my brother has just bought a Mx5 that's turbo'd and it needs a ecu and a proper mapping session. Can anyone recommend someone? Preferably south east/London way cheers. 

Edited by LukasMcNeal

1 minute ago, Mark W said:

Ah, I hadn't realised that MX5 photo you posted up earlier from that meet was yours!  Thought yours was a lot more standard than that - looks cool though (Y)

The photo further up this page?

Aye, that's mine. It's come a long way since I got it in September 2014 :)

More TFTD than TCT, but whatevz - hadn't done many long drives (or short blasts) in my MX5 for a while.  Decided to have a stab at the Track Attack thing today to get back in the groove.  Man alive, I was not on it.  Accidentally shifting from 2nd to 5th rather than 2nd to 3rd and thinking my car had fully died (don't think my clutch appreciated it in any way at all either), not really getting a feel for speed - controlling slides and stuff like that was fine, and I did one section better than I've done it before, but it was weird to see how out of practise it's possible to get in such a short space of time.

I need to work out the compression ratio of this engine. As the pistons are in it and i'd really rather not take it apart again, how's best to do it? Obviously I'll need to get hold of some bits and pieces to measure it properly (tried with what I could cobble together and a syringe today, then realised how much a tiny difference changes things...) If I leave the piston in and get it to TDC, would I be right to think that measuring the total volume here (to the top of the block) would effectively include the piston/ deck height measurement and I can then drop that from the formula? 

Assuming that the head is off and the piston is at tdc, use oil and a syringe to measure your deck and crown volume (might have issues with seepage past the rings so worth repeating multiple times on different pistons or pack the back of the rings with a f**ktonne of grease if possible). You can then either use the throw of the crank and bore to calculate the bdc volume or repeat the oil measurements at bdc.  Invert the head and repeat the procedure with the compression chamber, don't forget the plugs.

Are you trying to measure the cr for information purposes or for ignition timing and fueling reasons?

• Like 1

So.. I noticed paint chips on the bumper round the exhausts last week (images show it in the better state than it is now..)
I'm not entirely sure how this happened since this exhaust is installed since 2006 according to the bill and it showed no signs of knocking onto the bumper beforehand.

I'll check on the exhaust hangers later this week..

Anybody got an idea what I should do with the bumper? >.<

img_20160330_171328_by_topsy93-d9xv7s1.jimg_20160330_171316_by_topsy93-d9xv7ui.j

(no, that's not how the bumper is joined together :p)

On another note, I got an arduino OBD adapter to mess around with that is quite fun :)

Edited by Hopping_Topsy

I can't figure out how the exhaust would cause chips in that position.

Just put the 740 through an mot. Despite a gaping hole in the floor (right against a jacking point) it only failed on high emissions. 4.83 CO :blink: Luckily the limit for an old car is only 3.5 so fingers crossed some fuelling adjustment will do the trick. I'll leave the hole in the floor until next year :P

22 hours ago, forteh said:

Assuming that the head is off and the piston is at tdc, use oil and a syringe to measure your deck and crown volume (might have issues with seepage past the rings so worth repeating multiple times on different pistons or pack the back of the rings with a f**ktonne of grease if possible). You can then either use the throw of the crank and bore to calculate the bdc volume or repeat the oil measurements at bdc.  Invert the head and repeat the procedure with the compression chamber, don't forget the plugs.

Are you trying to measure the cr for information purposes or for ignition timing and fueling reasons?

Cheers :)

Just want to measure it for my own knowledge and for future reference, really - from my feeble attempts with a syringe i'm guessing it's going to come in around 9.5:1, but it's good to know exactly where i'm at with it especially as i'd quite like to force some more air into it at some point. The heads are off an old super rod so i'd be surprised if they've not been skimmed a fair bit, similarly the block's had some work so there's a mounting number of unknowns i'd like to pin down! 

Headed up to imola circuit yesterday as there was an open track day on. It was full of serious motors porsche gt3-gt3rs/gt4 loads of ferraris and several mean lotus cars also. 

Unfortunatly didnt get much pictures but this car was a bit special have no idea what it is but heres a few pictures.

Circuit looked awsome and its only a 10 min drive from where am staying. Cant wait to get the teg over but on the other hand made me want a new car also :P

The new bmw m2 also was on show there looks rather nice.

20160417_131002.jpg

20160417_124225.jpg

20160417_123416.jpg