Bring Back The Validation and suggestion on how to stop scamming.

Many people are being scammed lately and something needs to be done!

1 way could be to use your full name address and telephone numbers when signing up that only admins can access, but it will be handy that a buyer can get it if need be to trace their goods.

Also we need to bring back validation, i'm sure everyone agrees?

Are more people being scammed? I don't really see any increase... also the validation system was terrible when I signed up, it got better but it's better without.

• Like 2

100 posts before you can sell on here? That way we would probably get to know the person a bit first and you'd be able to work out whether you would enter into a transaction with them. There are people on here I wouldn't buy from even after lots of posts, as I know what sort of person they are and wouldn't trust them.

• Like 1

But then you'd end up with useless posts. Someone may just be on here to read about stuff, occasionally comment, but it could take forever for them to post 100 worthwhile posts.

I'm sure some of the time being scammed is down to the buyer not getting proper background info or proper contact details.

• Like 2

There hasn't been a post in disputes for getting on for a month now.

Anyone remember the Buy/Sell thing we had? That was good, if only for the reason that it breaks things down into different fields. This would mean you can make certain fields compulsory, such as pictures and price.

Maybe we should do that, and ditch the for sale topics.

• Like 1

This conversation happens every now and again, and then Tom will come along and say his reasons and we all shut up and get on with it.

My opinion at the moment is that, if you're stupid/lazy enough to not get decent details of a seller then it's your own fault. Not condoning people scamming, but they get away with it because people let them do it in the first place. It's your responsibility to part with your money in such a way that you're either certain that you're backed up (i.e. don't pay by gift) or willing to lose the money.

• Like 2

Anyone remember the Buy/Sell thing we had? That was good, if only for the reason that it breaks things down into different fields. This would mean you can make certain fields compulsory, such as pictures and price.

Maybe we should do that, and ditch the for sale topics.

Yeah i agree with this, i liked and used the buy/sell. I say down with topics and remove the for sale threads, keep the wanted and force everyone to use buy/sell, maybe set up something so you have to link your paypal account with it before you can list items?

Yeah i agree with this, i liked and used the buy/sell. I say down with topics and remove the for sale threads, keep the wanted and force everyone to use buy/sell, maybe set up something so you have to link your paypal account with it before you can list items?

Trouble is leaving wanted makes scamming just as easy, if not easier. It requires no topic to sell something, just a private message, making it much easier in my eyes.

At the end of the day the best protection you can get is to get as much info as possible from the seller including a phone number (pref landline) which should be checked and send the money via paypal as a purchase or cash on collection/delivery

• Like 1

the buy/sell feature (like on pinkbike) is good for browsing for stuff as its all to easy to miss something in the fs if the title doesn't say its in there, but it's not immune to scammers (there was some scamming over on there recently too, seems its filtering over too here). couldn't ever see a way of stopping it completely, if someone starts a wanted topic it's all too easy to be scammed via a pm. as a buyer you're still liable if you get scammed, badly worded replies/pm's/evasive answers/odd pics ect. usually set alarm bells of for me....even as a seller you can get scammed, even if you get paid through paypal (chargebacks iirc).

imo the best approach would be a dedicated classifieds/buysell moderator, not sure forcing people to give details to members they aren't trading with is a good idea (also wouldn't cover sales via pm's either) and would put people off trading on here, granted if you were a reputable seller you would have nothing to 'hide' but i'd find it a bit invasive myself. maybe a minimum amount of posts before a member can start a topic in the fs would be a good idea (would probably stop some of the lazier scammers). new members may want to buy/start a wanted ad to get started in the trials world, so stopping them from from posting in the classified section would be unfair...after all i found my way here via the fs section after googling stuff.

I just think we need a better rules on posting threads like having to post detailed pictures and a detailed list of all parts on full builds.

At least that will weed out the lazy people and maybe some scammers.

• Like 1

At the end of the day the best protection you can get is to get as much info as possible from the seller including a phone number (pref landline) which should be checked and send the money via paypal as a purchase or cash on collection/delivery
What I was on about was basically to make some things compulsory when making a topic. Not as far as rules, which means a mod like you would have to trawl through, but in the actual submission of the topic.

To be honest I agree about bringing back the buy/sell. I think it only failed as we still had for sale open so the only way to fully make it a success would be to completely shut the classifieds.

Might be worth giving it another go maybe, give everyone a months notice and then close the classifieds forum for a whole month and just run the buy/sell to see what people think. At the end of the day there's bound to be those who say they haven't got time or can't be bothered but it's their own loss. If you really want to sell some bits then you put the effort in to do so.

• Like 2

Having feedback was an excellent idea although not everyone could be bothered to use it. It is always nice to know from other people who have had dealings with the person you're about to buy from/sell to and can review things like speed of payment/delivery and condition of items arrived, communication etc etc.

Yeah, the feedback system really needs to be fixed soon, good for buyers to find out if they have a good reputation.

I've asked the current developer of the plugin for a free copy of the latest version.

I was the original author of the feedback system (I wrote it for TF) but handed it over to someone else when I didn't have time to maintain it. He has since handed it to someone else who has now made $5000 worth of sales of it. Bummer.

• Like 2

Having a minimum post count would be ideal I reckon. 50 posts or something.

They could just post in media section like:nice bike dude or nice video, anybody can do it, no bike related knowledge is needed. But if they were limited to trials chat or bike chat, they would have to prove that they know something about trials and bikes in general, hm? Impossible? Maybe.

They could just post in media section like:nice bike dude or nice video, anybody can do it, no bike related knowledge is needed. But if they were limited to trials chat or bike chat, they would have to prove that they know something about trials and bikes in general, hm? Impossible? Maybe.

Yes but it's a deterrent. You CAN bust a bike lock off pretty easily, but it would put off most would-be thieves.

Not many people would bother posting 50 times if they just wanted to sign up and scam - especially with the 30 second post system that stops you spamming.

• 2 months later...

Just signed up on a road bike forum and all new members have to have the first 5 or so posts authorised by mods/admin before they can post on the main forum, surely that would put a few of them off but not actual members?!

I know we haven't had many posting recently but there's still quite a lot signing up everyday, just been lucky enough to spot them at the bottom of the forum and ban before they get a chance to start spreading their shite around.