Going to the cinema on your lonesome

bikeperson45

43 members have voted

1. 1. Is going to cinema alone sad?

• Yes
    • No

Going to a restaurant on your own sounds weirder.

Agreed, however I see this old man come into my work every now and then and he spends a lot of time chatting to our staff. I guess he's either lonely or really likes the place?

I don't see many under 20's go on their own for a meal though, Saw an old school mate have a meal on his own once at like 10pm, I was pretty confused since he's one of those 'playa' type guys who's always with girls or his group of mates.

It's Pizza Express if that makes any difference.

Edited by JMCD

I'm the other way round to a lot of people so far - I'd happily go to a restaurant on my own, and have done many times. People watching and just general time to sit and eat is a nice thing to do in my opinion. I probably wouldn't go to the cinema on my own though, but I don't really know why.

I'm the other way round to a lot of people so far - I'd happily go to a restaurant on my own, and have done many times. People watching and just general time to sit and eat is a nice thing to do in my opinion. I probably wouldn't go to the cinema on my own though, but I don't really know why.

^ This.

Only this year I found myself thinking "I'd happily go for a curry on my own". Before then I felt sorry for those dining alone.

I wouldn't go to the cinema on my own though, like JD says I don't really know why, I just wouldn't.

Going to a place where you're supposed to be sat in silence, facing away from one another, for the duration isn't exactly social so you hardly need someone there. Personally I love going to the cinema by myself. It's a nice time to chill out in a dark room and forget about things and especially people.

It seems fairly arbitrary and incoherent to view this as sad when the choice can be based on it bringing greater enjoyment which it does for me.

Going to a place where you're supposed to be sat in silence, facing away from one another, for the duration isn't exactly social so you hardly need someone there.

Exactly my reasoning. The only time you're going to talk is the way there and back and that's nothing you'd do without the movie motivation.

And my mum asked my brother to go with me which I'm kind of annoyed about because I was looking forward to getting to go out on my own. That sounds a little sad but I haven't been physically able to leave the house the past few weeks so I was glad to be able to do it on my own.

It's funny how society sees it as sad as I'd happily watch a film on my own at home.

Yeah at home is a different thing, I guess it's cause the cinema is a public place. It's much better enjoyed with mates imo, like street rides, they more fun your own or with a bunch of mates? That's how I view it really.

This song seems fitting to the thread

Yeah but you can talk on group rides whereas you don't at the cinema you just sit there doing nothing.

Haha remembered a first date i had with a girl a few years ago and I fell asleep next to her for an hour. Great impression given but she was essentially a pine cone in terms of level of fun

Ben Rowlands in not understanding an opinion shocker :P

Pffft :P

Basically, if the behavior doesn't make sense to you then I respect that. I'm not saying people should be approaching the cinema in the way I am. However, calling what I find rewarding, sad, with no real explanation, doesn't really amount to much. It doesn't make sense because it doesn't make me sad. It might be sad if I wanted to go with others but no-one will go with me (and it makes me sad) but that isn't the case ('cause everyone wants to go to the cinema with me of course). I often go do the cinema alone when I'm stressed and I come out feeling better. How could that possibly be sad?

Edited by Ben Rowlands

There seems to be these wierd connotations about doing things on your own that you can only get past as you grow up. Personally I'm happy with and confident in the health of my social life, it seems like only people who can't say that would feel insecure about doing things on their own. Who gives a shit if some random you'll never see before is insecure enough about their own stuff to immedietely jump to the conclusion that you really wanted to go with other people but couldn't find anyone?

I'm not really a cinema person mind you, but as said I'd happily travel/holiday/eat/chill in a pub/coffee shop etc on my ones so I don't see how the cinema's any different.

Edited by Max Quinn