FAO: Those with proper jobs. How many hours a week?

N.Wood

So why work so much?

So that I can afford to live my life? How else am I supposed to pay for my flat and my bills and the gym and my phone and my motorbike and to go walking and climbing and to the pub?

37.5 hours a week isn't "so much", it's a comfortable amount which allows you a life outside work, hence why it's the standard number of hours people tend to work in normal jobs.

• Like 1

Work smart. Not hard.

Who said I work hard? :D

My job is perfect for what I want. Zero-stress, interesting, fulfilling, pays enough to comfortably live on and space to move up the ladder. Seems a pretty smart choice to me...

Not quite...

Work smart AND hard. Doing either of them on their own isn't efficient.

You know what I mean.

I meant in terms of what you're spending the X number of hours doing; I wasn't very clear to be honest. Obviously you should be working hard productivity wise.

Edited by shercofray
  • Like 1

37 standard. Can do as much as I like extra for either ham* or flexi-leave. Combat Systems Engineer on naval ships.

I commission the weapons Rainbird fires. ;)

*(overtime)

We usually have stints at sea for 2-3 weeks at a time during test firing so im used to long hours and being away from home for periods of time but I'm actually considering a job change at the moment and im wondering if anyone works a 2 on 2 off or 3 on 3 off type rota and how they get on with it? My partner's father works 3 and 3 and most times he's home he goes abroad snowboarding etc etc. Seems like a good set up to me! Anyone care to share their experiences?

Edited by Ross McArthur
  • Like 1

We usually have stints at sea for 2-3 weeks at a time during test firing so im used to long hours and being away from home for periods of time but I'm actually considering a job change at the moment and im wondering if anyone works a 2 on 2 off or 3 on 3 off type rota and how they get on with it? My partner's father works 3 and 3 and most times he's home he goes abroad snowboarding etc etc. Seems like a good set up to me! Anyone care to share their experiences?

My rota goes like this doing 12hr days and nights:

post-24247-0-32234100-1399028012_thumb.j

I got it wrong before, it used to be a 28 week roster on our old shift pattern but this is a 48 week roster that averages out at 35hrs a week. Every 6 weeks you get a short day for a safety brief or assesment which usually ends up 8-1 and every 12 weeks you get an extra day off at the start or end of your long week off which means you can get a fortnight off with 2 days being booked off.

As little as 30 in winter, as many as 70 in summer, 18 hour shifts back to back sucks ass, bloody tourists, and a huge proportion of them are mildly retarded!

I am a bar manager, next time you are in a pub, know what you want to order, order Guinness first and NEVER ask what flavour crisps there are if all you want is f**king plain!!!!

Fml :P

• Like 3

As little as 30 in winter, as many as 70 in summer, 18 hour shifts back to back sucks ass, bloody tourists, and a huge proportion of them are mildly retarded!

I am a bar manager, next time you are in a pub, know what you want to order, order Guinness first and NEVER ask what flavour crisps there are if all you want is f**king plain!!!!

Fml :P

You've just caused a lotfof bar staff a lot of hassle. I'm definitely doing the opposite of this from now on.