What smartphone is good these days?

MadManMike

Bonjour,

I currently have an iPhone 4 as a work phone which is as good as dead. I've requested a replacement, but they're stalling on it so I'm assuming that the new company that's taken over is not up for renewing our phone contracts...

So, with that assumption in mind, I'm looking for a new (Second hand) phone. I've always preferred Android to Apple, so don't bother suggesting an iPhone :P

What Androids should I be looking at and what's a decent price?

I'm out of touch with Android phones to be honest.

If you can try and get hold of a Nexus 5 (I think that's the latest model)., my missus is got one and it's great. As it's the flagship model for Google to show off the latest software it gets all the latest firmware updates first and as it's not branded it comes with no bloatware whatsoever so just the basic Google apps and no crap.

Also I think the latest firmware has it so you can effectively have the phone in two modes, one for work and one for home which makes life easier with regards to seperating business emails and messages to personal (I think anyway, not got around to updating the wifes!).

I spent years hating Apple, and everything they stood for. However, since having an iPhone 5s for work, and buying myself an iPad, they really are better than everything else.

I had an HTC One which I upgraded at the weekend. I looked at a Sony Z3, but it seemed like it was trying too hard to be an iPhone 6, so just went with that.

I'll hit you up on Facebook, I may have a proposal for you ;)

This one is doing well on hotukdeals: http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/zte-blade-s6-qualcomm-octa-core-2gb-ram-hd-16gb-2xsim-lollipop-4g-13mpx-camera-169-2145627

I had the first version of the ZTE Blade and at the time it was the best phone for the money. I would go for another zte if I ever wanted another smartphone, I'm quite happy with my nokia 100 though :D

I used to have iPhones, I still use one for work and I hate it...so a similar boat I guess.

Current phone is a Samsung S5, Rooted and bloatware removed, extended 7500mah battery which adds a bit of bulk but means I can used my phone for about 5-6 days without having to charge it.

None, they're all shit, everything single f**king one of them.

I'm waiting for the Asus Zenfone 2 to come out. First phone using the Intel Atom CPU (a mobile one), first phone with a 64bit CPU, and first phone with 4gb of RAM.

They look acceptable to me. :P

I've had topline HTC's for the passed 3 upgrades and will carry on doing unless they change anything. I had a Desire HD, one x then today upgraded to a One M8 and it's badass. Seems to work quicker and smoother than my last, nicer to hold and unlike mates iPhones actually makes deecent phone calls!

None, they're all shit, everything single f**king one of them.I'm waiting for the Asus Zenfone 2 to come out. First phone using the Intel Atom CPU (a mobile one), first phone with a 64bit CPU, and first phone with 4gb of RAM.They look acceptable to me. :P

Pretty sure iphone went 64bit a while back ?

• 3 months later...

Due an upgrade at the end of August though I don't know if my phone will last that long so I just rang EE to see how much it would cost to end my contract early and upgrade. The guy (who was most definitely not based in England) told me to try and hold out as they're releasing the iPhone 7 around the time I'm due an upgrade and as a result all the phone prices will drop!

F the iPhone mate, this HTC One (And other similar phones, Google Nexus etc...) are much better. Or at least for what I use them for and my preference of interface / functionality anyway.

4 months of ownership has only been good, no issues with it at all. Battery life could be better, but then I'm usually near a charger so it's no problem :)

Should I do what I've been doing the next few years and get the next Samsung phone? S6 has just come out and I do like the Samsung stuff, but I'm starting to get annoying issues with my S4.

Could go for whatever, but it will not be apple.

Cheaper to buy a Nexus (5?/6?) and then I can root and do what I want and get a sim only contract?

What do we reckon?