biggest innovation in trials?

ogre

Read the question again

Ohh this millennium.

I'd say, steady progress in direction of trials specific frames. Shorter chainstays, little higher bottom brackets, longer wheelbase and of course shorter seat tubes. Just look at the bikes from 2000 http://www.davedennis.freeservers.com/bikecandy.htm

That's for stock bikes, I've never rode mod but it's probably the same http://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/BikeSpecs.aspx?year=2002&brand=Monty&model=219+X-Hydra

I don't think that progress in brakes was essential. Sure it's nice to have more stopping power, but even back in the 90s with proper technique brakes wasn't the limiting factor.

Modern freewheels are great too, no need to buy Chriss King hubs that costs arm and leg, or shittier Shimano silent clutch or generic ones which would explode every two months. Modern freewheels made trials more affordable, however it is more of convenience than progress in terms of pushing trials forward.

hope pro 2 maybe?? ive had mine nearly 6 years and not a single skip!!

Agreed. I have had 3 in the last 6 or so years (only changed for colour scheme) and haven't had a problem with any of them. Plus they are easy to maintain and affordable.

Maybe mono trial brakes are worth a mention too.

I was also going to bring built in brake bootsers up. But they seem to be fading away.

Who started dilled rims and when? They certainly caught on.

Monty, onza and deng. More so Deng though, he brought light durable equipment, in the early days anyway to the masses. Bike trials in the UK wouldn't be what it is now without onza. Monty who started the whole thing. It can't be put down to any one innovation in my mind

and onza made the most poorly built frames and components I've ever seen, in exchange for money :P

I really respect and like Danny Mac, but he does not portrait the real Trials riding with the recent videos. General population is still very unfamiliar with normal trial riding.

«Oh I know, trial is what that english bloke does, what is his name? Danny something ... Can you do frontflips too?»

Ali C is less flashy and less know to the public, but he rise the bar with techy lines

It doesn't matter if he's good or not, if it's "trials" or not, truth of the matter is that due to his videos (intended or not) he raised a lot of eyebrows and made people look into the sport to attract new riders. Even if it was a total accident; he made the sport a lot more popular, which is good however you look at it.

I for one accidentally stumbled upon one of his videos in 2010, after that I thought it was cool and then dug a little deeper and liked what I saw with other riders and other videos (Damon Watson), the same evening I was practicing the trackstand on the street, and to this day I ride every single day. I don't even like his riding anymore but I'm still thankful I saw that video :)

• Like 1

It doesn't matter if he's good or not, if it's "trials" or not, truth of the matter is that due to his videos (intended or not) he raised a lot of eyebrows and made people look into the sport to attract new riders. Even if it was a total accident; he made the sport a lot more popular, which is good however you look at it.

I for one accidentally stumbled upon one of his videos in 2010, after that I thought it was cool and then dug a little deeper and liked what I saw with other riders and other videos (Damon Watson), the same evening I was practicing the trackstand on the street, and to this day I ride every single day. I don't even like his riding anymore but I'm still thankful I saw that video :)

The point is really that he brought attention to himself as a trials rider, which he is, but the general population tought trials involves tricks.

Sure, his riding is on a «Next Level», and i really like it.

A Neil Tunnicliff youtube video led me to him in 2004/2005, doing tricks in a 'pure' trials bike back then.

@peter_t : Thrashzen is worth a mention!

Tartybikes, Adam and Dave have helped develop the industry to such an extent. Adams always been a huge contribution to this site too

Some contributions off the top of my head

Inspired

Trialtech

Tartydays

Sponsorship of world class riders (Danny Mac, Ali C, Vince etc)

Providing bikes and components to the majority of the the UK trials riders

Maguras, you younger lot have no idea what shit we had to work with in the mid/late 90's!

Maguras don't count as an innovation from this millennium I don't think.

I was running HS33's in the mid 90's. Couldn't affort a pair mind you. So we usually ran an LX or XTR V-Brake up front.

I'm gonna say geometry on this one. We had to use frames that were non-trials geo to start (unless you were Ashton, Hawyes, Akrigg, Tongue or Cooper)

16" Merlin baby!! :)

I'm fairly sure most people haven't read the question properly, if we're talking about this millennium surely that's after 2000?

In this case the biggest innovations would have to be: new softer tyre compounds, higher BBs and longer/steeper stems, rear facing magura mounts, use of carbon components, the lack of seat and highrise bars.

For comparison:

2000 Orange Zero

2000-Orange-Zero-the-riddlers-otn-500x37

2015 Rockman Gabbro

2_zpse9873669.jpg

• Like 2

I'm fairly sure most people haven't read the question properly, if we're talking about this millennium surely that's after 2000?

In this case the biggest innovations would have to be: new softer tyre compounds, higher BBs and longer/steeper stems, rear facing magura mounts, use of carbon components, the lack of seat and highrise bars.

For comparison:

2000 Orange Zero

2000-Orange-Zero-the-riddlers-otn-500x37

2015 Rockman Gabbro

2_zpse9873669.jpg

All I can see there is improvement not innovation. Can carbon products really be called innovative? I suppose using a different material could be but to me innovation should mean more than taking a part that been around forever and making it out of carbon.