The House Thread

dann2707

3 hours ago, J.KYDD said:

Bloody hell. On it! We didn't pack a single thing until around 1 week before moving day. Had a clear out about 2 weeks before and did a few runs to the dump though to get rid of a load of crap not worth moving. 

It's more a case of having nothing else to do, to be honest. And yeah, I'm clearing out some old crap, so it makes sense to box up the rest while I'm there... Stuff I don't use often anyway.

Ah, okey dokey - when you said half an hour over the bridge I thought you meant you were over Newport kinda way. That'll be sweet for getting over the border again though (Y) If you're still riding your MTB, there's plenty to go at this side of the Severn too :) 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Mark W said:

Ah, okey dokey - when you said half an hour over the bridge I thought you meant you were over Newport kinda way. That'll be sweet for getting over the border again though (Y) If you're still riding your MTB, there's plenty to go at this side of the Severn too :) 

Yeah I meant half an hour from where I currently am, rather than half an hour into Wales.

Still riding the MTB, though haven't since October due to poor health... when I did ride, Cwmcarn, FOD, BPW and others were the favourite spots, so it'll be nice to live a bit closer to those too :)

• Like 2

I'm frustrated.

Still no mortgage in principle sorted and a perfect house has just come onto the market.

It's exactly in the area we want, close to two parks and Cathkin MTB centre, good access to the motorway to GTF out of the city, it's a three bed terrace with detached garage, it's got a big enough garden for a nice workshop in the back, off street parking in the front and even has a bonus of two (no idea why two) basements which is something I really want but accepted I probably wouldn't get. It also has a loft which I'm really keen on having.

It's at the top end of the potential loan we were told about but with how long that's taking to secure I'm not holding my breath we'll get that much. We REALLY want to go look at it but there's no point without knowing our budget...so annoying with how perfect it would be for us :( 

19 minutes ago, Davetrials said:

Tried to play detective using your description to find it on rightmove, I came up short. (it's a slow workday)

It's actually listed as a 4 bedroom (not how I'd have it) and it's semi detached rather than terraced...good luck :P 

53 minutes ago, Ali C said:

It's actually listed as a 4 bedroom (not how I'd have it) and it's semi detached rather than terraced...good luck :P 

Magnus Crescent :D. Looks good! I'm amazed houses are so cheap in Glasgow! That would probably be twice as much in Bournemouth!!

I'd probably keep the garden as it is and use one of the basements as a workshop. Save the room for kids to play in (or a trials course if you're not looking at the patter of little feet any time soon!).

24 minutes ago, monkeyseemonkeydo said:

Magnus Crescent :D. Looks good! I'm amazed houses are so cheap in Glasgow! That would probably be twice as much in Bournemouth!!

I'd probably keep the garden as it is and use one of the basements as a workshop. Save the room for kids to play in (or a trials course if you're not looking at the patter of little feet any time soon!).

Ok so an update: Jane phoned the mortgage advisor and they spent the call going through everything, turns out we have a mortgage in principle application being processed right now... it’s taking a bit longer because we’re both self employed but the advisor says that’s standard and they’re confident it’s going to be confirmed soon. It’s looking to be for a decent enough amount that combined with our (admittedly large) deposit we can afford to at least put an offer in on that house.

That’s providing we like it, we’ll book a viewing ASAP and take a look (I really need to see what’s going on with those basements). We suspect that it’ll end up going out of our budget judging by other house prices in the area but we hope that being first time buyers with no chain and the fact it needs redecorating we can persuade them to sell it to us.

I’ll update after a viewing if it happens  

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, Ali C said:

Ok so an update: Jane phoned the mortgage advisor and they spent the call going through everything, turns out we have a mortgage in principle application being processed right now... it’s taking a bit longer because we’re both self employed but the advisor says that’s standard and they’re confident it’s going to be confirmed soon. It’s looking to be for a decent enough amount that combined with our (admittedly large) deposit we can afford to at least put an offer in on that house.

That’s providing we like it, we’ll book a viewing ASAP and take a look (I really need to see what’s going on with those basements). We suspect that it’ll end up going out of our budget judging by other house prices in the area but we hope that being first time buyers with no chain and the fact it needs redecorating we can persuade them to sell it to us.

I’ll update after a viewing if it happens  

Obviously a different city, but houses are going for under the 'offers over' prices round our end, @Ali C. A friend just sold his house for 10k less than asking price. I'd definitely speak with the agents as well and try get a feel for how long its been on the market / how desperate they are to sell / and don't put a crazy offer over in on it.

Hope you guys manage to get something sorted soon.

Ok just went to look, we’re not going to put an offer in... it needs too much work. It needs a complete overhaul inside and needs some roof work done. The garage is old and full of holes and has an asbestos roof which would need professionally pulling down and disposal and a new one built.

The basements I was looking forward to would’ve made great storage space for bikes and parts but were no good for a workshop or much practical use as they had very limited headroom.

shame really as the location is great and I really liked the view as it’s on a hill and looks directly out onto Cathkin Braes mountain bike trails (although Jane doesn’t like it as it also looks out onto Castlemilk estate which is a real rough area).

If the house was ~30k cheaper then we’d be willing to put an offer in but not at the price it is.

pictures of the basements included 

1484FEF8-621D-4719-BAE0-C59ED8411DD2.jpeg

5F6BC0C5-D808-409D-B89D-F3941EF6650A.jpeg

Edit:

since coming home I’ve been searching again, I’ve taken a closer look at a house I’ve previously swiped past (mainly because I’ve been greedy and wanted something bigger but also because I thought it would be too far out of town for Jane and doesn’t have a local train station for her to use to get to work, she seems to like it more than I thought though).

It's the same price as the house we saw today but doesn't look like it needs much (if any) work doing so I’ll book a viewing, it’s been on the market since November so I’m a little suspicious of why it’s not been sold but we’ll have to wait and see.

It’s two bedroom end of terrace, no basement but it does describe having a decent floored loft which I’d happily accept instead. The main selling point to me is a rather large garden at the back which backs up against fields so the view is nice (it’s at a top of a hill) not a south facing garden though but beggars can’t be choosers. Having grown up with fields and hills I have been finding living in a busy city pretty challenging (and depressing at times) so being more out in the country would be really nice. Only two bedroom but they’re bigger rooms, the garden does give scope to a decent sized extension for the future though.

Another bonus is it’s right next to Cathkin Trails so no more driving there. 

The main downside is its more isolated (though only 5 mins away from where we looked today, just straight up to the top of the hill) in Carmonnuck which is the last “village” within the Glasgow district so no big shops or train stations, being at the top of the hill means there’s zero street but I figured unless I live close to the centre of Glasgow I’ll probably be driving to ride street anyway (plus I wouldn't have to drive to get to Cathkin). No off-street parking either but definitely room to include it with some work.

I’ll report back once I’ve seen it.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Ali C said:

Ok just went to look, we’re not going to put an offer in... it needs too much work. It needs a complete overhaul inside and needs some roof work done. The garage is old and full of holes and has an asbestos roof which would need professionally pulling down and disposal and a new one built.

The basements I was looking forward to would’ve made great storage space for bikes and parts but were no good for a workshop or much practical use as they had very limited headroom.

shame really as the location is great and I really liked the view as it’s on a hill and looks directly out onto Cathkin Braes mountain bike trails (although Jane doesn’t like it as it also looks out onto Castlemilk estate which is a real rough area).

If the house was ~30k cheaper then we’d be willing to put an offer in but not at the price it is.

pictures of the basements included 

1484FEF8-621D-4719-BAE0-C59ED8411DD2.jpeg

5F6BC0C5-D808-409D-B89D-F3941EF6650A.jpeg

Edit:

since coming home I’ve been searching again, I’ve taken a closer look at a house I’ve previously swiped past (mainly because I’ve been greedy and wanted something bigger but also because I thought it would be too far out of town for Jane and doesn’t have a local train station for her to use to get to work, she seems to like it more than I thought though).

It's the same price as the house we saw today but doesn't look like it needs much (if any) work doing so I’ll book a viewing, it’s been on the market since November so I’m a little suspicious of why it’s not been sold but we’ll have to wait and see.

It’s two bedroom end of terrace, no basement but it does describe having a decent floored loft which I’d happily accept instead. The main selling point to me is a rather large garden at the back which backs up against fields so the view is nice (it’s at a top of a hill) not a south facing garden though but beggars can’t be choosers. Having grown up with fields and hills I have been finding living in a busy city pretty challenging (and depressing at times) so being more out in the country would be really nice. Only two bedroom but they’re bigger rooms, the garden does give scope to a decent sized extension for the future though.

Another bonus is it’s right next to Cathkin Trails so no more driving there. 

The main downside is its more isolated (though only 5 mins away from where we looked today, just straight up to the top of the hill) in Carmonnuck which is the last “village” within the Glasgow district so no big shops or train stations, being at the top of the hill means there’s zero street but I figured unless I live close to the centre of Glasgow I’ll probably be driving to ride street anyway (plus I wouldn't have to drive to get to Cathkin). No off-street parking either but definitely room to include it with some work.

I’ll report back once I’ve seen it.

I work for Countrywide Surveyors @Ali C, if you need a surveyor to inspect it after your initial viewing (if you are still interested in it) for some piece of mind I can get you a heavy discount. Not trying to plug anything here but the amount of people that buy houses without realising potential issues only to have a nasty surprise when they get the keys or shortly after is alarming. 

Our website below:

https://www.countrywide.co.uk/surveying/offer/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMItoOHvs357gIVC-vtCh2USgcIEAAYASAAEgKNbPD_BwE

On 20/02/2021 at 2:41 PM, Ali C said:

The main selling point to me is a rather large garden at the back which backs up against fields so the view is nice (it’s at a top of a hill) not a south facing garden though but beggars can’t be choosers. Having grown up with fields and hills I have been finding living in a busy city pretty challenging (and depressing at times) so being more out in the country would be really nice.

Similar situation, grew up in the countryside too, but have been living in a town basement flat for nearly 8 years. Nowhere to properly maintain bikes, no proper workspace, very limited storage for tools/bike-parts/etc so really frustrating. Only outside space large enough to spend time in was the mankiest pigeon shit covered courtyard and a health risk. Then last year we found our first place, but needed some work, ie new kitchen, central heating upstairs, etc. All tradespeople were so busy (which then delayed other jobs) it wasn't until December we finally moved...

This weekend due to weather, was the first weekend where we could actually spend time in the garden, really nice and sunny down here. Tidied some of the rubbish up from the work we had done. Built the kids a mud kitchen, rode my bike on some palettes and lumps of concrete etc. Honestly, it was brilliant!

Edited by marg26
  • Like 1