The House Thread

dann2707

15 minutes ago, Stephen Morris said:

I’ve got a pretty good idea :)

Good luck with it all.

That might be £50,000 represented by bits of fancy paper, but still doesn't really reflect the concept. Nice flex though...

40 minutes ago, Adam@TartyBikes said:

Might be something to do with the hint at possibly extending the stamp duty holiday in the upcoming budget. However, that sucks to not even hear back...

That's only in England and Northern Ireland apparently. We pay LTT in Wales (our version of stamp duty), but there's no sign of an extension for us beyond 31st March. Ours is handled by the Welsh Assembly rather than Westminster.

Has anyone else been inundated with spam calls since starting the buying process?

I get flooded with calls from fake mobile numbers and random towns around the UK, they're all real people trying to flog random shite / offer stuff without actually telling you what they're offering.

I had a call from Nairn earlier, which I gather is a small town in Scotland. The chap was "Dan, regarding the funds"... He wouldn't actually explain what the funds were, nor did he know my name, other than "Mike", as that's what I answered the call with. I went from "Sorry, who is this?" to "f**k off" in about 5 seconds.

Usually I'm polite on the phone, but I'm getting several of these calls a day... It's getting to the point where I just don't answer now and they'll leave a message if it's legit. Very annoying.

On 24/02/2021 at 0:36 PM, Ali C said:

Speaking of second houses and junk, that's starting to become a real issue in Scotland and the islands. Take Skye for example...the locals who have lived there for generations are being priced out because wealthy Elnglish (and Scottish to be fair) are paying way over the usual prices. Jane has some elderly relatives on Skye (both mid 90s) and they've always had neighbours nearby they could rely on if they had issues. Now all their neighbours have sold up and moved because they could get great money for their houses and the new owners just have them as a holiday home and use it just a few days a year leaving them empty the rest of the time.

This means her relatives are a lot more isolated than they used to be, the other side effect is that local businesses are struggling because the population is reducing. It's a bit shit.

Same is happening here, and some areas now have laws that only allow a certain percentage of flats/houses to be secondary homes. Of course this has downsides too as some villages that were clearly below that percentage sold up and others that were at the limit are trying to build more houses.

Sometimes I think I'd quite enjoy living somewhere* really remote but obviously also couldn't and wouldn't want to compete with rich chaps buying a little weekend home.

That said, looking at the prices quoted in this thread maybe I should. The one bedroom flat in the neighouring house had a pricetag of £300k. :S

*not in switzerland. Swiss villages hold next to no appeal to me. Country side is nice, the houses very much less so. 

On 24/02/2021 at 11:36 AM, Ali C said:

Speaking of second houses and junk, that's starting to become a real issue in Scotland and the islands. Take Skye for example...the locals who have lived there for generations are being priced out because wealthy Elnglish (and Scottish to be fair) are paying way over the usual prices. Jane has some elderly relatives on Skye (both mid 90s) and they've always had neighbours nearby they could rely on if they had issues. Now all their neighbours have sold up and moved because they could get great money for their houses and the new owners just have them as a holiday home and use it just a few days a year leaving them empty the rest of the time.

This means her relatives are a lot more isolated than they used to be, the other side effect is that local businesses are struggling because the population is reducing. It's a bit shit.

Yeah my mum lives on one of the western isles (Tiree) and I'm pretty sure they're getting close to there being more holiday home owners than actual islanders now which is great for the Summer season for pubs and events like the music festival and wave classic but the rest of the year the island is just dead. It's forcing people to move away to the mainland which in turn is killing the island as there are less and less farmers and skilled workers living there now which again puts prices of everything up. 

9 hours ago, MadManMike said:

How do salaries compare?

Definitely higher round here, but a lot of things are disproportionately more expensive, food and drink mainly, which is up to double the price. I've got some friends who used to do a 2hr round trip every two weeks to Germany to get their food cheaper (pre covid) and be able to put some money aside. Also, I recently found out that daycare for one child is an eye watering 90quid per day. 

Sure the wages balance things a little and look really nice on paper but depend on so many things. I'm quite sure they're not double though, especially not after tax, insurance etc.

addendum: Some googling reveals that a £90k job should currently be compared with £115k job here.

On 2/24/2021 at 10:18 AM, MadManMike said:

Has anyone else been inundated with spam calls since starting the buying process?

I get flooded with calls from fake mobile numbers and random towns around the UK, they're all real people trying to flog random shite / offer stuff without actually telling you what they're offering.

I had a call from Nairn earlier, which I gather is a small town in Scotland. The chap was "Dan, regarding the funds"... He wouldn't actually explain what the funds were, nor did he know my name, other than "Mike", as that's what I answered the call with. I went from "Sorry, who is this?" to "f**k off" in about 5 seconds.

Usually I'm polite on the phone, but I'm getting several of these calls a day... It's getting to the point where I just don't answer now and they'll leave a message if it's legit. Very annoying.

Over the last 3 weeks I've been getting about about half a dozen spam calls every day. I don't even answer my phone now unless a name shows up.

The house I had mentioned previously in Camunnock (not the dungeon sex pit one) has accepted an offer, shame.

But the good news is another house has just appeared and it ticks a lot of boxes!

Its in a perfect location, not quite the nice fields like last time but it is sandwiched between two parks and while it might not have the views it’s still very easy to escape and be in the woods. It’s also still a rideable distance from Cathkin which is nice. It’s very close (just down the street) to Jane’s brothers house and a 5 min walk to her mums which is something Jane was keen on.

The house itself is a two bedroom semi with off street parking (on a very quiet street anyway) and a decent sized garden. The house doesn’t seem to need any work doing and even the way it’s currently decorated/painted actually suites our taste. The home report didn’t flag anything up either.

No basement but it does have a loft which is nice.

We’ve booked a viewing for tomorrow, it’s still lived in and we’ll be shown by the owners. The advantage of being in Scotland is that the owners have a much bigger say in who actually buys the house, in England (and Wales?) the agent will just choose the highest offer but up here the owners can accept a lower one if they think they will be a better buyer.

This house is at the top of our budget but it looks to be worth it, we’ll take a look and try and make a good impression 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Ali C said:

The house I had mentioned previously in Camunnock (not the dungeon sex pit one) has accepted an offer, shame.

But the good news is another house has just appeared and it ticks a lot of boxes!

Its in a perfect location, not quite the nice fields like last time but it is sandwiched between two parks and while it might not have the views it’s still very easy to escape and be in the woods. It’s also still a rideable distance from Cathkin which is nice. It’s very close (just down the street) to Jane’s brothers house and a 5 min walk to her mums which is something Jane was keen on.

The house itself is a two bedroom semi with off street parking (on a very quiet street anyway) and a decent sized garden. The house doesn’t seem to need any work doing and even the way it’s currently decorated/painted actually suites our taste. The home report didn’t flag anything up either.

No basement but it does have a loft which is nice.

We’ve booked a viewing for tomorrow, it’s still lived in and we’ll be shown by the owners. The advantage of being in Scotland is that the owners have a much bigger say in who actually buys the house, in England (and Wales?) the agent will just choose the highest offer but up here the owners can accept a lower one if they think they will be a better buyer.

This house is at the top of our budget but it looks to be worth it, we’ll take a look and try and make a good impression 

Ali would you mind if I asked what a house like that cost up there please, just so I can torture myself!

1 hour ago, Ali C said:

The advantage of being in Scotland is that the owners have a much bigger say in who actually buys the house, in England (and Wales?) the agent will just choose the highest offer but up here the owners can accept a lower one if they think they will be a better buyer.

Not strictly true, we've had a house sale fall through because the buyers discovered I was self employed and thought it would be risky to enter into the deal with me, despite having a fair sized deposit and mortgage in principle.

They accepted our offer then slow timed to see if they got anything better, as far as I'm concerned, not sure where they found out my employment status though..

1 hour ago, matt slegg said:

Ali would you mind if I asked what a house like that cost up there please, just so I can torture myself!

This is on the market for £170k but the home report suggested it’s worth £180 so that’s more what we’d be expecting to offer... that’s our absolute max but it doesn’t need any work which saves us sinking money into a new kitchen etc.

1 hour ago, Tom Booth said:

Not strictly true, we've had a house sale fall through because the buyers discovered I was self employed and thought it would be risky to enter into the deal with me, despite having a fair sized deposit and mortgage in principle.

They accepted our offer then slow timed to see if they got anything better, as far as I'm concerned, not sure where they found out my employment status though..

that’s weird, surly once they’ve had the paperwork done etc star happens to you after the keys have been handed over different matter?

4 minutes ago, Ali C said:

This is on the market for £170k but the home report suggested it’s worth £180 so that’s more what we’d be expecting to offer... that’s our absolute max but it doesn’t need any work which saves us sinking money into a new kitchen etc.

Thats great thank you and good luck. That sounds like a sensible price. It would be double that here and Im sure id be earning roughly the same up there. I really must move!

1 hour ago, Tom Booth said:

As a self employed person this really pisses me off. Its discrimination and I would argue that self employed people are more secure as its there own business compared to someone that is employed.

We decided we liked the house so much we put in an extra 3k over the home report evaluation...we’re conscious that we don’t want to add to the already insane house price bubble.The house IS a 180k house, once we start getting into 185k+ then it’s getting sketchy and more likely to lose money when we ever want to sell it.

The estate agent said they’ve had seven offers on it since yesterday (we were the first to view it) and they’ll close it on Monday. So the good news is it IS still on the market, they haven’t had an offer they couldn’t refuse but I’m so nervous! 

I’m really hoping that they think we’re good match, I doubt we’ll be the highest offer but we’ve no strings attached being first time buyers and can make the sale quick and easy for them (they’re moving south so HAVE to sell it sooner rather than later). They seemed to like the idea of the house going to someone local who knows the area. 

we both REALLY want this house (I especially do as there’s another velosolutions pumptrack being built a 5 mins ride away from it) so this will be a nervous wait 

• Like 5

Good luck dude, hope it works out!

Forgot to really update before, but we had an offer accepted on a house so we're now on the ludicrously slow moving merry-go-round that is mortgage advisers, estate agents and solicitors. 

Those industries definitely strike me as being similar to 'the trades' in that simply doing what you say you're going to do when you said you were going to do it (i.e. the bare minimum) must put you above 99% of your competition.

There's a slight element of f**kaboutery going on with the house we've had the offer accepted on which is somewhat leaving us open for the chance to get gazumped, but we're hoping the fact that we're doing everything we can to make it happen ASAP will count in our favour... 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Mark W said:

the ludicrously slow moving merry-go-round that is mortgage advisers, estate agents and solicitors. 

Those industries definitely strike me as being similar to 'the trades' in that simply doing what you say you're going to do when you said you were going to do it (i.e. the bare minimum) must put you above 99% of your competition.

If they're anything like the majority of the Financial Services industry, the main problem is excessive regulatory hoop-jumping. Makes an hours actual client-facing work into a 7 hour marathon of form-filling, box-ticking bullshit. It's easy not to see a lot of that side of it and definitely frustrating from a consumer's POV and isn't doing anyone any favours.

That said, a lot of mortgage-advise/similar is entirely unregulated, so a good chunk of the timewasting is just grossly unjustifiable!

Yeah, can imagine there'd be a lot of hassle to go along with it. Think it's just a case of expectation setting - it's always "We'll give you a call tomorrow morning" or similar. We're not expecting to be moving in this weekend, just say that you're busy and you'll get back to us in the next few days...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ali C said:

I’m really hoping that they think we’re good match, I doubt we’ll be the highest offer but we’ve no strings attached being first time buyers and can make the sale quick and easy for them (they’re moving south so HAVE to sell it sooner rather than later). They seemed to like the idea of the house going to someone local who knows the area. 

Fingers crossed, I think in this day and age the possibility for the sellers of completing chain free and quickly can have a massive impact on things. Hopefully it's enough of an incentive :)

just found out that my (to be) brother-in-laws partners parents also went to look at the house and I think have put an offer in :( they recently sold their house for over 400k so can just buy it outright. I'd be pretty pissed if they got it. Apparently they heard that someone has put in a stupidly large offer, not sure how true this is but it's looking less and less likely we'll get it.