HOPE pro4 issues

Paperclip

Hi Guys, 

I am taking another stripped hub into hope to get sorted out but I have this week seen 3 other riders have also stripped their hubs.

If anybody else on the forum has had this issue or knows somebody that has could you drop a reply in this topic. 

When I went into Hope about this recently I was told it's not an issue and I was the only person that has had this problem. It certainly doesn't look that way. I'd like to just go in with as many examples as possible to try and get this resolved somehow. 

• Like 4

On 11/04/2021 at 7:50 PM, Paperclip said:

...it's not an issue...

That's Hope's default position on everything related to their products. Think the only exception in recent memory was the Evo crankset where they changed the first generation design up and tacitly acknowledged they had issues. 

I think you're going to struggle with it, they're just not that open to accepting any form of issues with their products, especially these hubs. The closest they got was saying that there'd been a bad batch of pawls early on when the Pro 4 Trials hubs were released which "affected a very small, limited number of hubs", but that didn't really tally up with the number of failures going on.

• Like 2

Yep, I had the 1st gen Pro2 which had the issue with the hub shell cracking open. Hope replaced it under warranty with the newer Pro 2 and around 6-months later I stripped the threads of the ratchet ring. 

This is going back a good 10 years mind...

I have experienced a few issues 

Firstly i was having a few skips and weird clicks under low force usually like turning etc I took it apart and pawls and lockring teeth were worn / damaged/ chipped  the hub was not very old and Hope replaced the lockring and pawls on warranty 

Then that same lockring stripped out the hub about a 3 or 4 rides later it happened when I was putting full power down back it went and they provided a new hubshell with "extra locktite" 

It's been largely fine less 1 or 2 minor skips at minimal pedal pressure hor the following year or so

20190813_172144.jpg

21 hours ago, Mikee said:

I've heard of the pro 4 ratchet ring, stripping the threads on the hub shell. Is that what you are referring to? I've also heard of bearings being more of an issue, compared to the pro 2.

Yes, the ratchet ring stripping. Adam at Tartybikes pointed out a really good insight to me which I am going to mention to the boys when I go in. They have had a fair bit of stick from me now as I've moved local and ride with a few of the staff now. So I am hoping they'll listen to a local. Or better yet they'll get sick of me rocking up with broken hubs. 

Regards to the bearing issue. I'm sure they've resolved that in the pro4 design and most people that had issues are riders with the Pro 2 Evo. 

Strangely my original pro 4 hub which I can't date back exactly but I'm confident it was 2016 lasted until 2020. Then since I have stripped two more hubs both on 26" & 24" 

I've had a couple of PM's on here and Instagram pretty much assuring me that it's not a small issue. 

Shame as I don't really want to move away from Hope. 

You're a true fan for sticking with Hope after all this. Hope is still the cheapest choice of the hubs that are worth buying and the next step up is $$$. I rode Chris King for nearly 20 years until they pissed me off and I never went back. My Profile hub is still going strong since 2015, but I don't think I'll get another, however it won't die. Industry 9 has been outstanding to deal with, but they are pricey. Good luck!

Yes had it happen many times with Pro 2’s + 4’s.  I’ve got to the point of just having a spare wheel built up ready to hand incase one goes. They are the only brand of hub I have ever used and if I had another choice I probably would try an Industry 9, but it’s having a UK warranty base as good as Hope has to be able to fully commit to. 

23 hours ago, Sandbugg said:

Firstly i was having a few skips and weird clicks under low force usually like turning etc I took it apart and pawls and lockring teeth were worn / damaged/ chipped  the hub was not very old and Hope replaced the lockring and pawls on warranty

It's been largely fine less 1 or 2 minor skips at minimal pedal pressure hor the following year or so

Interesting, I had the same issue on my Industry Nine Hydra hub. Skipping only under very light pedal pressure. Pawl seats were very worn out after a few months, and teeth in the ring were ever so slightly damaged. Industry Nine sent me a new hub straight away (great service, and I'm in Europe too), which I've just built into a new wheel. And lo and behold, the new hub also does the skipping. Second ride in, first skip. Not as bad yet as the old one and there appears to be no damage on the teeth yet. Is this something inherent to trials use with these pawl type hubs? I have to say I had no problems with my old Hope Evo hub.

My i9 had some relatively thick grease in it to begin with - if you still have that grease in yours it may not be helping with some of those smaller skips. I've never noticed mine skipping, and I don't think any of the Inspired team riders using them have reported anything about that either.

Hope you get them to change something. I never bought a Pro 4 mainly because of all the issues you've had, plus others. Only takes one issue on a big wall and that's it. They did a good job of correcting the original cracky hub shells, hopefully they do the same for this.

Edited by LEON
  • Like 1

On 4/16/2021 at 1:41 PM, LEON said:

Hope you get them to change something. I never bought a Pro 4 mainly because of all the issues you've had, plus others. Only takes one issue on a big wall and that's it. They did a good job of correcting the original cracky hub shells, hopefully they do the same for this.

What others issues?I was going to buy Hope Pro 4 SS,but came across this thread and fact that no one have stock,leads me thinking ,that maybe last batches are issued somehow.Who knows?

12 hours ago, basstrials said:

What others issues?I was going to buy Hope Pro 4 SS,but came across this thread and fact that no one have stock,leads me thinking ,that maybe last batches are issued somehow.Who knows?

The stock issues people are having are unrelated to any issues with the hubs, Hope (and most other suppliers) are just insanely busy at the moment and it is taking ages for shops to get stock. 

15 hours ago, basstrials said:

The issues of others.

• 1 month later...
On 23/04/2021 at 10:03 PM, Cap said:

The stock issues people are having are unrelated to any issues with the hubs, Hope (and most other suppliers) are just insanely busy at the moment and it is taking ages for shops to get stock. 

Might be that,as well,but would be best if they take care about that problem,otherwise what would be the point of that rush about stock quantity if some product have some quality issue?It is seems, that many top riders run I9 Hydra now,so Hope should listen to the customers if there is some problem with their hub.Just thoughts.Have a good time.

On 24/05/2021 at 9:36 PM, basstrials said:

Might be that,as well,but would be best if they take care about that problem,otherwise what would be the point of that rush about stock quantity if some product have some quality issue?It is seems, that many top riders run I9 Hydra now,so Hope should listen to the customers if there is some problem with their hub.Just thoughts.Have a good time.

The i9 is definitely in a different price bracket to the Pro4 so it's not direct competition imo

• Like 2

There really isn't anything in price competition with Hope's Pro4 oddly. I9, Profile and Chris King are all about the same price so dealers choice there. Echo makes a SS 72 point rear freehub, but I've never seen one in the wild.

17 hours ago, Rip said:

The i9 is definitely in a different price bracket to the Pro4 so it's not direct competition imo

Yes,it is true that I9 hydra is double to Hope Pro 4 SS and it is clear that they are not in same price point,but that leads to conclusions,that "Made in UK" does not mean much these days,no offenses to anyone.Reading opinions(not only here),said not so great things about quality and customer services of Hope,which to me, is great factor to put more money on their competitor,despite of the facts that is very expensive.I guess,it will last longer in terms of quality.Anyway,my point was,that Hope supposed to make something about,because this is legendary model and would be sad if differences to others hubs are only on papers and names.Have a good day to anyone.

On 24/05/2021 at 9:36 PM, basstrials said:

It is seems, that many top riders run I9 Hydra now,so Hope should listen to the customers if there is some problem with their hub.

I don't think Hope really have any interest in what people in the Trials world run. According to them, they're already shipping out around 30% more product overall than they used to and "demand [grew] by well over 100%" over the last year so I think they're happy to just keep chopping out products that, on the whole, seem to work fine. In fairness to them, aside from not listening to feedback their customer service is good. They're similar to Magura. To many riders there are obvious flaws with Magura's lever, but they believe they're fine so they're not addressing them.

5 hours ago, Swoofty said:

There really isn't anything in price competition with Hope's Pro4 oddly. I9, Profile and Chris King are all about the same price so dealers choice there. Echo makes a SS 72 point rear freehub, but I've never seen one in the wild.

A reasonable number of them have gone out on Czar bikes from TartyBikes. I don't believe they've had any issues reported back to them. To be fair, it shouldn't be hard to make a 72-click rear hub that works. They've got significant experience making high engagement freewheels that were fairly reliable, so applying that to a rear hub with fewer engagement points really shouldn't be problematic. That's simplifying it a bit, but basically they make durable hubs already, they've made freehubs before to some degree of success, and they know how to make a reliable freewheel, so putting together a medium (I wouldn't say 72 is 'high', but it's not exactly 'low') engagement point freehub should be within their capability.

• 9 months later...

Late, but speaking abot the Hope Pro 4 SS, I broke a pawl last week (this hub 1,5 years/1 hour a day of riding on average).  the hub has 4 pawls and should engage 2 at a time as it works offset.  but when you spin the body, 2 of them do not always engage, many times only one works to support all the power.  one tip was to use double spring... I bought several sets of pawls/springs to try (before change the brand...).

IMG_20220308_201530426~3.jpg

IMG_20220308_201642119~2.jpg

IMG_20220306_202652353.jpg

IMG_20220306_200032588_HDR.jpg

• 3 months later...
4 hours ago, LEON said:

As someone who finally made the jump from a Pro 2, this all makes me sad.

It is one vs. what appears to be many* but I've never had any of the aforementioned issues with any pro4. The worst i had was a bearing, which i replaced and was good as new...

*That said..the many in here vs. those that have pro4's who haven't bothered commenting could also sway it significantly the other way...

• Like 1