Trials Rider Wages

Aidan97

Lol, Gilles Coust recieved 850 euros for winning the world cup round in Aalter last month.

Depends if you count prize money I suppose, 850 euros for a months work isn't much though!

I'd say it's less than what you might think

I did some googling the other day. Ryan leech earned a total of £2 million from his career as a professional trials rider. consider how many videos, films , tv programmes, demos, speeches, coaching sessions etc. he did. I don't think any proffesional trials rider nowadays will come close.

Danny Mac and Laszlo hegedus have got to be on a high wage to say they are both riding for two seperate energy drink companies such as red bull and monster. You could imagine how many promotions and sponsors those companies will support for a lot a of big major events.

Danny Mac and Laszlo hegedus have got to be on a high wage to say they are both riding for two seperate energy drink companies such as red bull and monster. You could imagine how many promotions and sponsors those companies will support for a lot a of big major events.

Considering the amount of Monster logos he has plastered all over himself/everything he seems to own, it'd be interesting to know what that Laszlo dude's actually getting out of that deal...

I did some googling the other day. Ryan leech earned a total of £2 million from his career as a professional trials rider. consider how many videos, films , tv programmes, demos, speeches, coaching sessions etc. he did. I don't think any proffesional trials rider nowadays will come close.

Sponsorship works differently these days though, so stuff like photo/video contingency will help rack up a bit more money here and there. I don't really know about the trials side of things, but I know BMX companies have a system where if you get a photo on a website with their logo in you get £X, if you get a photo in a mag with their logo in it's £Y, if you get a cover with their logo it's £Z, and so on. That's usually on top of a form of salary too. Companies like Red Bull are bound to have that sort of thing in place as well.

The increase in non-endemic sponsors helps too as that's essentially where the money is. Now that trials is better known it's more marketable and easier to use as a commodity to help advertise stuff, so that's going to increase riders worth. As a loose example, I'd imagine Bessell getting the chance to do some hops for UPS was probably related overall to the increase in exposure trials has had.

Jack, I'm gonna have to make an assumption you're fairly young here for that Leech comment - the man's a legend! Sure, he hasn't really 'progressed' much in the last 10 years, but he was riding slack chains when you were in nappies :P

• Like 2

he doesn't ride like modern trials riders, he's distanced himself from it... he uses a bike normal people can associate with, thats why he's able to do the talks and shows and generate the interest cause his riding is almost tangible, if you have a crowd of people watching benito or vincent, their bikes are so foreign that it's hard to relate... plus he's pushing on a bit now and the level of risk that the modern scene has set probably isn't that attractve when what he's doing is working just fine for him.

tldr: leave leech alone unless you can ride without correction hops, ever.

• Like 2

i couldn't think of the right word, but you see leech and you see a normal enough bike, and you can imagnie trials being do-able on your own bike, tangible as opposed to intangible, meaning you can't even touch it, or get close...

You Leech doubters must be young, you have no idea of the impact "revolution" and "Evolve" had when they came out (1998) that for me was the very coolest era of trials.

Like others here are saying, people watch Ryan ride & see a mountain bike, everyone's ridden a mountain bike so it's not some alienating weird sight, as opposed to a mod rider in a leotard.

Plus he's still more technically skilled than a lot of todays great riders, even if he's not going as big.

• Like 1