The Happy Thread

Duncy H

moving flat this week, gonna save me so much hassle comuting and make getting back up north way easier :D plus TFL have just emailed me confirming that i can take a bike on the tube if it's dismantled. so much f**king win!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ogre said:

moving flat this week, gonna save me so much hassle comuting and make getting back up north way easier :D plus TFL have just emailed me confirming that i can take a bike on the tube if it's dismantled. so much f**king win!

Any chance I could get a copy of that email? Sounds like something to print and stick in your wallet :P

• Like 1

Started going to the gym with a lady friend. She thought we should check our DL record so we can measure our improvements. So f**king proud I lifted 12.5kg more than she did, at one moment I was worried :D Anyway, it's so much fun with her around. Not going to give up on this, starting a vlog (oh dear no) for stale old trials riders in poland like myself who have long passed their prime. The goal is to document progress from literally f**king awful to moderately good. 

Also dating a really nice girl. Things are looking good.

11 minutes ago, Greetings said:

Started going to the gym with a lady friend. She thought we should check our DL record so we can measure our improvements. So f**king proud I lifted 12.5kg more than she did, at one moment I was worried :D Anyway, it's so much fun with her around. Not going to give up on this, starting a vlog (oh dear no) for stale old trials riders in poland like myself who have long passed their prime. The goal is to document progress from literally f**king awful to moderately good. 

Also dating a really nice girl. Things are looking good.

Pics of both? Link to the vlog?

• Like 1

Persephone is two today, best 24 months ever! Couldn't want for a nicer child or experience; from birth to washing hundreds of nappies, it's all been amazing :)

Currently snoring her little head off having crashed on the sofa!

tmp_29596-FB_IMG_1491591203382371910284.jpg

• Like 3

I never had to bring Persephone home, in fact the only time she's been to hospital was for 12 and 20 week scans  and then the weight / toe count check after birth. Home birth is the way forward, hospitals are nasty places for a new born :)

Of course, midwives are normally on hand (although they only arrived 15 minutes before Persephone) to help keep things under control and blue lights are always available if needed (or just drive there as it's likely quicker!).

Granted, home birth isn't for everyone but at least you can control the environment, no bright lights, no urgency to clear the bed for the next, the oxytocin flows freely and a bacon sandwich 20 minutes after the event :D

I was 100% involved, the midwives just stood by and signed the paperwork at the end having done their checks. It was Charlottes third birth though so she does know what she's doing and when things aren't right.

Still a toss up between birthing and getting married as life pinnacles :)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, forteh said:

Of course, midwives are normally on hand (although they only arrived 15 minutes before Persephone) to help keep things under control and blue lights are always available if needed (or just drive there as it's likely quicker!).

Granted, home birth isn't for everyone but at least you can control the environment, no bright lights, no urgency to clear the bed for the next, the oxytocin flows freely and a bacon sandwich 20 minutes after the event :D

I was 100% involved, the midwives just stood by and signed the paperwork at the end having done their checks. It was Charlottes third birth though so she does know what she's doing and when things aren't right.

Still a toss up between birthing and getting married as life pinnacles :)

Hayley would have been in some serious shit if we hadn't been in the hospital, considering she was in some pretty serious shit even though we were. No indications there would be complications either, so if we'd chosen home birth I think we'd have regretted it.

Definitely not saying that home birthing is wrong, yours obviously went well and our best buddies did too. I'm just personally glad we went for the "be where all the surgeons are, in case surgery is needed" option. I'd rather be safe than comfy.

On a lighter note – belated happy birthday to Persephone! Eleanor's race through her first 10 weeks, so I can see how the next 94 would fly by...

• Like 1

Absolutely, complications do arise and can rarely be predicted

I must admit that my judgment is largely based on Charlotte's experiences as a mother over the last 11 years.

Her first was in hospital age 18, she was left in a corridor on a trolley, labour started and she had to walk to the nearest midwife and tell her that she was in labour; at which point she was told that her baby couldn't possibly coming already and to get back into bed.  Lily was born a few hours later and they were effectively held prisoner in the hospital for the next day or so when nothing was wrong.

Reuben was planned water birth at the new local birthing centre and it was a much better exerience.  In the morning Charlotte had told the midwives that she would be giving birth that night and she was told again that it would be a couple of days, low and behold he was born that night.

As said apart from the 12/20 week scans, Persephone was hospital free; that said there were grave errors made on the part of the midwifery team, they initially recorded Charlottes height 4" too short which put her BMI into the red.

From then on despite phoning multiple times to get her notes corrected she still got harassed by the consultant saying that they "couldn't promise her a live baby if we home birthed" (they can't promise a live baby in hospital!), that she was going to be prescribed blood thinners (when she already has a blood clotting disorder and would have subsequently bled out) and got called "one of those women and to come back when she's seen some sense".  Additional to that the consultant was under the impression that this was Charlotte's first birth, not third.  Charlotte eventually went through her notes, corrected everything with red pen and hand delivered them to the maternity unit requesting them to update their notes accordingly.  The midwives were great, the consultant was atrocious.

The midwives arrived 2 hours into labour, couldn't get the gas and air to work (duff regulator on the bottle) so the whole process was done with nothing more than 37°C water and a darkened room :)

Call it mothers intuition or just the wife is always right but I trust Charlotte implicitly on such matters and she was absolutely correct.

Sorry for the rant, there is a lot of stigma about home birth and since the 50's people have been co-erced into believing that hospitals are the only place you can safely have a baby...

Happy 10 weeks to Eleanor, many more to come - enjoy it, fatherhood's awesome :D

• Like 2

On 4/7/2017 at 6:55 PM, niconj said:

Pics of both? Link to the vlog?

Yeah, nah, nah (work in progress). 

XJab9fB.jpg

My eyeballs really enjoy going to the gym with her :P And she's soooo much fun. Always found going to the gym f**king awful but with a partner who pushes you and who you push it becomes a great way to spend time.

• Like 1

rode with actual people last night! and here are new spots. I don't have to be up at 4.30am tomorrow, got a work trip that puts me on trials addicts doorstep next week so i can save on delivery for some new bits. winner

• Like 1