The Inevitable Question... Where is everyone?

dann2707

You all suck! Just about to chuck my arcade on the roof of the car and had down to Portland. Don't ride nearly as much as I used to (job, wife and two kids will do that I guys) but still enjoy it when I can.

To be honest I haven't been on a group ride for a long time and was put off a lot of the local ones by some of the people who were attending who I'm embarrassed to be associated with (or have trials associated with) and I do miss having a laugh with the old boys...

• Like 3

On Wednesday, January 20, 2016 at 10:50 PM, Davetrials said:

Dave here. I'm having a mid life crisis, so ive bought a mod. i haven't a clue what a "breathe" is or a "hastagg" and KOXX don't seem to be around any more. and bikes are a weird shape. things have changed. 

Hi Dave! Been a long time!!! Hope you're well. Xxx

Been a while since I have been about, few posts here and there in the last few months.. I miss seeing everyone at the Oxford (specifically the Abingdon!) Rides, like a lot of people have said everyone seems to have sort of grown up and trials got left behind. 2006/2007 was the last big ride I went to. X

Yay, Dave's back :D You coming to play on your kids bike too?

I ride every now and again, injuries and other things in my life haven't left me a lot of time for riding bikes. The riding scene here in Southwest has died a slow death, when I started 10 years ago there were lots more riders around. It just seems like there aren't any younger kids starting riding trials.

• Like 1

• Danny changed the title to The Inevitable Question... Where is everyone?

Trials in the UK has slowly been dying these past few years. It does not seem to be as big compared to what it was 10 years ago 

I haven't rode my bike since October then before that it was August. Had loads of riders quit not just local but in surrounding areas which is sad i enjoy the group vibe. I still live for Radfest and any other big trials event. I find 2013 was the best year for trials went on a fair few group rides with big turn outs. The Doncaster one in March 2013 where there was nearly 20 riders that got together all from different areas. Was a bloody good ride that day! Followed by a few Hull rides too. I thought the numbers for Radfest in 2015 was a little bit low compared to the other years i attended but i still enjoyed my weekend there. 2014 TartyDays was a brilliant weekend followed by Radfest. I even forgot to mention about the BikeTrial event in Sheffield city centre organised by some university students that was another good day for Trials with 60 riders from all over in one square. 

Social media seems to be playing a massive part on why this forum is quiet i have noticed the activity on here has been very low this past year. Now'a days to organise a ride you can do it through text, whatsapp, Facebook etc etc. Organising group rides on a forum now is slowly becoming a thing of the past. Over the years of riding and been on the scene since 2003 i can say i have seen many riders come and go. When people sell their bike when are done with it i still decide to keep mine knowing i will always be back out on it (I don't dare sell it ). And again as each year goes on more people appear for the summer season then disappear seems to be a rotating cycle. I seem to keep calm and try carry on lol.  

Anyway lets see what 2016 seems to bring i also do quite a lot of road riding and mtbing while not riding trials.  I can organise a road or mtb ride and there will be 10-20 riders turn up. If only Trials was like that am just hoping the younger generation will bring it back alive so it does not permanently die. I have met many riders over the years through trials some who i have made good friendships that i still talk to. 

Would be good to get a group ride organised when the weather picks up at a central location for anyone who still rides up the North. 

Andy 

Edited by AndeeeMK2

19 hours ago, monkeyseemonkeydo said:

I dunno- Josh seems to have been roped in too...

14 hours ago, craigjames said:

Like Rich, I think Josh has always been that way inclined.

Personally I don't understand the fascination.

Hey, at least I get paid for it :P

• 11 months later...

It's nice to have a look through this thread and reminisce at all the (old) faces! I'm glad this forum is still going and people are staying in touch to some degree.

For the record, you may remember me as 'Scopse' or 'Gok Wan'. Not sure why I chose either of those names but I do have fond memories of what was a pathetic attempt at a threesome with Simps back in the day and it somehow found its way on to an equally terrible trials video that somehow didn't get taken down by mods for an astounding 2 days.

• Like 3

^^ Haha, that was ridiculous.

Does anyone still have the picture of Kev(fishfingerer), Joe (Rothwell??) Skoze and a few others in some weird half naked sausage fest sandwich?? Dunno why I remember that.

I was using my old computer the other day and it moaned about lack of HD space and things I could remove/tidy up. It was a sad day when I deleted my 2.5gb folder full of trials videos :(. Had to watch TRA England one last time!

I dunno where I fell out of love with trials, think it's just getting older. I know when I was 15/16 (shit, 13 years ago!) there was nothing else I even cared about! I lost out on a few years when I turned 18, then got back into it major when I started riding with Ben Robert's, flipp, Josh and revolver. Went on a few big group rides then I just stopped. Guess I was about 23? Just lost the love, built a MTB and never looked back. I bought a leeson about a year ago then sold it after spending money on it realising I was never going to use it. I replaced my trials with MTB and enjoy that far more then ever, the scenes good, it's more accessible and it's something I enjoy on my own as much as a group.

I do kinda miss it, hanging around Nottingham city at 2.30am with Tobias and whoever else came along was awesome.

Just guess life gets in the way and you get the same enjoyment from other hobbies that you once did with trials. Hobbies that don't include helicoiling f**ked brake mounts, replacing snapped BBs, trying wheels and fixing chains.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Tom Booth said:

Does anyone still have the picture of Kev(fishfingerer), Joe (Rothwell??) Skoze and a few others in some weird half naked sausage fest sandwich?? Dunno why I remember that.

I found it on an old hardrive a few weeks back.

After initially laughing, i then felt violently sick Ha

• Like 1

13 hours ago, anzo said:

I tend to follow trials of the motorised variety these days. I still read the forums a lot though. 

It's a bit strange these days when I walk around a city centre and there doesn't seem to be any riders about anymore. 

Last time I accidentally bumped into a rider was 4 years ago... I remember following the sound of Maguras to see who was out riding in Reading a while back.  

seeing as I'm relatively new to trials (in comparison to you lot) its really interesting to read through this. i started after i saw an echo on a wall in a bike shop in 2012, actually started riding in mid 2013. if anyone lives in leamington, you'll see me riding everyday :P (can't follow the maguras, follow the sound of the hope) i get to oxford a lot too, i like it there. a few months ago me and a rider who had just moved here bumped into rob leech and ben roberts, which hadn't happened since 2014! (last time was in cov with kyle  and paul) it is sad, because i miss a massive scene, which disappeared right after i started. I've made a close knit group of friends who ride and its much more fun in my opinion than what people my age do for fun, which is usually xbox or summat.... i have goals in trials and i won't stop till i meet them.

Edited by Herbertlemon102

I think with trials if you aren't prepared to put the hours in on yr own it ain't going to happen, especially with it being such a niche thing. Think you always need to ride for yourself....well that, and I am a miserable antisocial git that prefers his own company!