Fabio Wibmer - Wibmer's Law

Luke Rainbird

Full disclaimer on below: my opinion doesn’t matter, he’s far better than I am etc.

I was never a Fabio fan. I always thought his riding was kind of... plastic. It never interested me. Even though he would do the same things as say Ali for example, I would always prefer to watch Ali. And I still stand by that.

however, that video was fantastic. There is a hell of a lot of work put into it, and Fabio has some serious balls for some of those lines. Even just the fillers were proper hucks. There’s the obvious corporate side of things which are a little annoying but the video itself overall was great. Much more riding focused than I was expecting. Big props to him.

• Like 3

I echo herbertlemon to be honest. Typically found in the past that I didn’t enjoy something about the style of riding, couldn’t ever put my finger on it and obviously accepted he is clearly  very talented on a bike but just something felt off. However this one just seemed to have a different feel, more fun, more engaging and to be fair some of the stuff was genuinely pretty ballsy. Hope it continues .....

A huge respect for filming stuff like that and making trials more visible, however..

When I was watching the video I was immediately pretty sure that there will be a bunch of critisism on the trials forums going on. Not because there usually is, but because of how his riding in the video looked like for me personally.

I almost felt like watching Danny but without the smoothness and accuracy he has. Same kind of smile and happiness going on, the big ballsy stuff and camera angles, but mostly lacking the precision I was looking for at least this time. As a trials rider the riding part was a bit disappointing to watch to be honest, like most of the stunts almost failed a bit and there wouldn't be enough time in the production to try again and correct them, I mean even the basic ones like drops looked very harsh. I'm sure Wibmer could do better if he really tried or had a chance to try, as some of his instagram stuff has been quite impressive to watch. Maybe it's the pressure who knows.

After all, I'm a complete newbie and 100% sure will never reach even quarter of the balls size that Wibmer has. Just telling my opinion as a viewer who appreciates good looking riding over anything else.

Edited by Jere_h
  • Like 3

I think we're mostly in the same camp on this one - as trials riders we're a bit 'unsure' of the riding, it doesn't flow that well and isn't as 'good' (broad term) as Ali or Danny for example.

BUT, entertainment factor is really, really high. It's the sort of thing you can show to your mum or girlfriend and they'll enjoy it, not noticing the small details we do as riders. And I think that's what it's aimed at; promoting his sponsors, getting loads of hits on YouTube etc, and if it's riding a trials bike then fair play, it can only be a good thing.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Adam@TartyBikes said:

I think we're mostly in the same camp on this one - as trials riders we're a bit 'unsure' of the riding, it doesn't flow that well and isn't as 'good' (broad term) as Ali or Danny for example.

BUT, entertainment factor is really, really high. It's the sort of thing you can show to your mum or girlfriend and they'll enjoy it, not noticing the small details we do as riders. And I think that's what it's aimed at; promoting his sponsors, getting loads of hits on YouTube etc, and if it's riding a trials bike then fair play, it can only be a good thing.

I've been in this camp since after Way Back Home.

My rule of thumb now is approximately: if you're sponsored by an energy drink company and produce videos of an extreme sport, if it's Monster it's a video of the sport for people who do the sport, if it's Red Bull it's a video of the sport for people that don't.
Big examples being Dan Lacey and Dakota Roche vs Kriss Kyle and later Danny Mac/this video. Are any trials riders with Monster these days? I don't recall seeing any since Hegedus was years ago.

Edit: To clarify before people misinterpret my admittedly ambiguous wording - I'm not shitting on the riding in any Red Bull videos. Genuinely cream of the crop, whether it's to your taste or not and putting aside the "it was a bit sketchy" etc.

Edited by aener
  • Like 1

Can Danny or Ali do that standing on handles bar thing though? Pretty impressive when he went down those few shallow steps doing it I thought.

Also a few moments made me chuckle. I'm a beginner, bad at trials riding, so didn't really notice anything to criticise.

Re: Monster - I've not been watching as many Sam Pilgrim videos over the past year, think he's churning them out too much. And I'm sad he doesn't go out on his trials bike much.

Edited by marg26
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Adam@TartyBikes said:

I think Adam has it spot on here and can only really echo his comments.

Don't get me wrong I would be happy to be half Fabio's ability however if I was being really picky I did notice a few lines that lacked precision that the likes of Ali would have insisted on re-doing. 

It's obviously the style of film they went for but personally I'm not a massive fan of the heavily staged lines. That said, I can see how it could appeal to the wider public which is only going to help promote the sport.

Regardless its still a great video, really enjoyed it!! Props to Fabio!!

21 hours ago, aener said:

...if it's Monster it's a video of the sport for people who do the sport, if it's Red Bull it's a video of the sport for people that don't.

Yes and no...  Some of the Red Bull skate team have had some 'proper' skate videos that weren't gimmicky, and were just straight up skate edits, similar to the Rich Forne videos done for Monster.  Just seems to be that a lot of the riding side of Red Bull's videos need to have some kind of 'narrative' shoe-horned into them.  I suspect part of it might be that the production side is probably a lot different between the two.  From the random stuff I've read/heard about Red Bull productions, there's a lot more corporate kind of stuff involved, needs to be story-boarded, usually has to be producers/people like that involved who work with Red Bull, etc.  As a result I imagine you have to have more of a choreographed kind of video.  Kind of seems with Monster's support for video projects it's looser in some ways, although I believe they were the ones who said that everyone in the Make It Happen video had to wear helmets.  Pretty low bar for entry though to be fair...

For people who prefer just riding and not-so-great music, someone's done a riding only cut:

Does go to show that a lot of the riding is pretty serious, but as ever you have to persevere through the 'story' to get to it.  It didn't feel quite like this video was as well structured as some of Fabio's older videos, with just random "ready to be taken out and used as a viral social clip" sections put in there, but it does mean it'll appeal to more people I guess.  Would be cool to see a straight up riding video from him one day though, similar to Danny's Cascadia/Epecuen videos.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mark W said:

Yes and no...  Some of the Red Bull skate team have had some 'proper' skate videos that weren't gimmicky, and were just straight up skate edits, similar to the Rich Forne videos done for Monster.

Fair. I only catch a very few bits of the skate scene, so maybe I only catch the "touristy bits".

Insane video that!

Thumbnail to the video looks stretched to appear larger than it actually is in the video..

Great non the less but ARE you guys not bringing up the 'click bate' like you do with me says are you lot even working hard on your bikes?  :lol: Because Wibmer definitely IS working hard- click bate or not.(Y)

awesome awesome video, loved the police chase video too that he did a while back now also.

great team behind him

5 hours ago, Mike Beck said:

Insane video that!

Thumbnail to the video looks stretched to appear larger than it actually is in the video..

It's the same wall, just a different camera angle. Doesn't appear stretched at all.

On a different note. Some of the spills in the out takes are pretty crazy. To hit the ground that hard so many times without a major injury is talent or madness.

The "storyline" on this one does seems a bit lazier. The riding is ridiculous. I know it's not as polished as Ali or Danny, but who else is?!

Screenshot_20190920-162404.png