The Angry Thread.

Blake

Sorted out a bottle of Argo-shield for my MIG welder today. 
Welder is all to bollocks now. I had it set PERFECT for welding 22 gauge sheet metal and it was super. Now the bottle has been changed its just not the same. 

Its made a right mess of my work this evening which I'll have to grind back and try remedy tomorrow. Not got the patience for this. 

I wish it wasn't. Basically they went into administration after not being able to pay the staff in August, so the only way for me to get those wages is by claiming from the National Insurance Fund. As for my September wages, that will come from the administrators when they either manage to sell the company or sell off enough assets to pay us. The whole process has been a total shit show. 

on my way up to sheffield on Sunday to stunt with Flipp, got to derby- where 4 guys with mountain bikes needed to get on. they all had reserved a space (even though theres only three spaces available) and though i was in the SPECIFIC non reservable space, an absolute fanny of a ticket man told me to get off or he'd fine me £100. i politely pointed out that my mod could easily fit in the luggage compartment if necessary, and he had no right to kick me off, but he didn't even bother to listen, and went as far to throw both my bags off before me and as near push me off.

i went on a full search of the rules, and iI'm definitely not in the wrong... i managed to hop on another direct train within 2 minutes and got there on time, but it was a shit start and made me seriously pissed. especially when i've paid that much for a ticket. extra motivation to go and pass my driving test, i suppose.

maybe ill make a clam... if i can be bothered.

35 minutes ago, Herbertlemon102 said:

on my way up to sheffield on Sunday to stunt with Flipp, got to derby- where 4 guys with mountain bikes needed to get on. they all had reserved a space (even though theres only three spaces available) and though i was in the SPECIFIC non reservable space, an absolute fanny of a ticket man told me to get off or he'd fine me £100. i politely pointed out that my mod could easily fit in the luggage compartment if necessary, and he had no right to kick me off, but he didn't even bother to listen, and went as far to throw both my bags off before me and as near push me off.

i went on a full search of the rules, and iI'm definitely not in the wrong... i managed to hop on another direct train within 2 minutes and got there on time, but it was a shit start and made me seriously pissed. especially when i've paid that much for a ticket. extra motivation to go and pass my driving test, i suppose.

maybe ill make a clam... if i can be bothered.

Definitely either make a claim or make a complaint and do it sooner rather than later. They'll know which guard was on if you give the train and time and with any luck there'll have been cctv on either the train, platform or both to back you up. 

• Like 2

On 10/4/2016 at 1:35 PM, Herbertlemon102 said:

tl;dr train wankery

if you dismantle your bike it becomes luggage and they can't do anything about it. can even take your bike on the tube or during forbidden commuter times in london if it's in bits ;) 

like this:

IMG-20160304-WA0017_zps4r7vz5u8.jpg

• Like 7

It hit me the other day I'm leaving college this year with shit grades in 2 A Levels and a BTEC I have no interest in pursuing, no idea what I want to do in life, no plan for after college, all my friends are viewing unis and looking into courses and I don't even know if I want to go or what the f*ck I want to do, am more than broke thanks to car and bike, the nearest people to me I actually want to go see are all a fair bit older than me and are getting on with their lives with full time jobs, girlfriends, uni, no time to ride/see each other, and I feel like I'm being left behind because all I have to do is ride my bike. Everyone around me's stopping riding and I feel like I've barely even started. Help. Drowning.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, RossBurnside said:

It hit me the other day I'm leaving college this year with shit grades in 2 A Levels and a BTEC I have no interest in pursuing, no idea what I want to do in life, no plan for after college, all my friends are viewing unis and looking into courses and I don't even know if I want to go or what the f*ck I want to do, am more than broke thanks to car and bike, the nearest people to me I actually want to go see are all a fair bit older than me and are getting on with their lives with full time jobs, girlfriends, uni, no time to ride/see each other, and I feel like I'm being left behind because all I have to do is ride my bike. Everyone around me's stopping riding and I feel like I've barely even started. Help. Drowning.

The thing to remember is non of us know what we are doing really.

My mum didn't know what she wanted to do until she was 40.......there's always time. 

• Like 3

If you don't know, go to uni. Make some connections. I didn't go, and I'm still OK with that decision, but sometimes I wish I'd gone just to meet more people. All the startups I've been involved with have started among a group of people who met at uni – and generally they're nothing to do with whatever they were studying. It's taken me until right on the cusp of 30 to realise just how important that phrase "it's not what you know, it's who you know" is.

My other piece of advice is to just say yes to more stuff. You won't know what you want to do until you try more stuff. For instance, I've been offered a couple of fun pieces of work off the back of doing a favour for my Dad a couple of weeks ago filming his charity cycle. Filming's not what I do, but I did fancy playing with a drone for a week. Now I'll be doing that for a couple more adventures by the looks of it. Point is it was a complete accident, so give yourself some more opportunities for 'happy little accidents' to happen. 

Edited by JD™
  • Like 4

Just f**k it all off and go travelling, you'll meet a shit load of people, do a shit load of shit, see and do stuff you probably won't really have time to do later on (I have left this travelling lark wayyyy too late) maybe find something or someone on your way or just come back with a clearer idea of what your priorities are in life (Y)

Hate to be that "go travelling, you'll find yourself, man" guy, but it's kinda true, it has at the very least confirmed that I do hate people :lol:

• Like 4

If it makes you feel any better I got a C, D and an E at A-level then found what I loved at uni and got a first class with hons in that. Find what you love and go into a degree with that. You said you love bikes and cars so why not a hands on engineering course at uni?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JD™ said:

If you don't know, go to uni. Make some connections. I didn't go, and I'm still OK with that decision, but sometimes I wish I'd gone just to meet more people. All the startups I've been involved with have started among a group of people who met at uni – and generally they're nothing to do with whatever they were studying. It's taken me until right on the cusp of 30 to realise just how important that phrase "it's not what you know, it's who you know" is.

My other piece of advice is to just say yes to more stuff. You won't know what you want to do until you try more stuff. For instance, I've been offered a couple of fun pieces of work off the back of doing a favour for my Dad a couple of weeks ago filming his charity cycle. Filming's not what I do, but I did fancy playing with a drone for a week. Now I'll be doing that for a couple more adventures by the looks of it. Point is it was a complete accident, so give yourself some more opportunities for 'happy little accidents' to happen. 

On the flip side, my GF went to uni only because she thought that's what she had to do and didn't really know what she wanted to do there. Now she's 29 and gone down a completely different route in life not at all connected with her uni course and has had to re-train all over again which has left her with a massive uni fee and loans taken for re-training that has meant she's had to move back in with her mum, can't afford a car/holidays/presents and generally sucks. 

I left school before my exams so I've no qualifications at all (other than an art diploma), I wish I could go back and tell the younger me not to stress, I've followed my passion and not let negative people stop me, I've no debts, I'm independent and earning money.....things will work out in the end! It is true it's WHO you know though so I agree with the networking comments but I think that can be done with or without going to uni.   

• Like 1

I get what you all mean by stop stressing and I probably should. What @dann2707 said about an engineering course is actually a brilliant idea, and I now feel pretty stupid not stopping to consider it before :lol: I think the travelling idea is what will be put into play first, just driving round the UK and Europe with my bike in the back of the car doing stupid things with @Herbertlemon102 is the dream. I'm not so much worried about what qualifications I get, it's more the fact I have no idea what I want to do and every adult I speak to about it is telling me how the "choices I make now determine the rest of my life", and although I understand that's to be considered a load of bs it still sets in and sits in the back of my mind. What I'm most worried about is getting old. Albeit I've got a fair bit of time before I'll be too old and start looking back on everything, but the thought still scares the absolute sh*t out of me.

Edited by RossBurnside

I pissed GCSE's up the wall really and was just average with mostly C grades, I went to college after and did a BTEC in 3d and furniture design. That was a piss about for 2 years but steered me towards cabinet making and woodworking which is now fundamentally my living. Don't be afraid to f**k up too, you've got the rest of your life to make proper and informed decisions, enjoy being young and pretty care free really.

Don't stress it too much, generally just be a decent person and as JD said immerse yourself in new activities and get out there, it'll all fall into place.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RossBurnside said:

I get what you all mean by stop stressing and I probably should. What @dann2707 said about an engineering course is actually a brilliant idea, and I now feel pretty stupid not stopping to consider it before :lol: I think the travelling idea is what will be put into play first, just driving round the UK and Europe with my bike in the back of the car doing stupid things with @Herbertlemon102 is the dream. I'm not so much worried about what qualifications I get, it's more the fact I have no idea what I want to do and every adult I speak to about it is telling me how the "choices I make now determine the rest of my life", and although I understand that's to be considered a load of bs it still sets in and sits in the back of my mind. What I'm most worried about is getting old. Albeit I've got a fair bit of time before I'll be too old and start looking back on everything, but the thought still scares the absolute sh*t out of me.

I did quite well at GCSE, but i HATED A-levels. i couldnt grasp it. the teachers got fed up with me and eventually i ended up dropping out. ive always been into design since the beginning, and im now on a fantastic course that gets me the qualifications i need to get into the uni i want etc etc. but im worried in my head how what i want to do will end up being different to how ive viewed it for 18 years. 

its not why i ride my bike, but being able to travel around with people and ride is literally the best. from where ive gone and the stories ive heard, you dont need to worry about getting old fast if you just enjoy yourself instead of sitting there worrying about it, youre only 17 (admittedly ive had a few existential crisis' myself, but just go travel somewhere and ride)

photo: Ross at my house on his 17th

image.png

Edited by Herbertlemon102
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, RossBurnside said:

I'm 22, I have qualifications in Plumbing, joinery, surveying as well as pretty good grades in all my school subjects. 

I'm currently working in a bike shop. Qualifications are not always necessary but they do help. 

• Like 1