The Car Thread

MadManMike

Kind of weird, but the guy's got the skills:

That was amazing! saw it live earlier, got the biggest claps. got about 300 photos, but dont want to spoil it for everyone as it is basically all the paddock that caught my eye.

Very cool couple of days. can't wait for revival.

I used a company local to me called ACC in near Bordon (Hampshire) got 9 wheels and a strut brace done for just under 700. They did a really, really good job.

Birmingham city is the cheapest around from what I have been told and seen, but you have to get the bits to Birmingham. They do about £20 a wheel, but from what I have seen the finish can be a bit hit and miss.

Tends to be cheaper if you are doing a stock colour, black or white.

Not sure if this helps.

I used a company local to me called ACC in near Bordon (Hampshire) got 9 wheels and a strut brace done for just under 700. They did a really, really good job.

I'd hope so for £700, that's mental! Were you having them coated in diamond dust or what?!

Edited by Jolfa

Well they also did all the prep, changed tyres, weighted the rims and disposed of the old tyres.

It was more than I was expecting, but they are spot on so not going to complain. The only thing that pissed me off is that they gave me an all in price before work started and didn't make it clear that was not including the VAT. but it worked out to be 50+5 a wheel before tax. so would have been under 500, which I was happy with.

Also in regards to the 9 wheels. x5 in antracite for road (1 spare), x4 in red for fun days.

Just watched some of the Clio Cup/BTCC coverage from Croft - hadn't watched any of it in a while, I'd kind of forgotten how little f**ks are given by the drivers in terms of car-to-car contact. Not quite sure who it was, but there was a battle between a Honda and a BMW where they were basically driving into each other down a long straight, with the Honda just in front so getting slightly rotated the whole time and nearly having a pretty hefty crash. Good to watch, but kind of strange to see after watching open wheel racing for quite a while...

Mayfe I find this exciting becaulse I competed against this guy but surely this is mad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adOuAuMh710

Including stuff like 1:59 which is just flawless overtaking.

The first thing the co driver says when they slow down is "f**k me you're fast. f**k!"

• Like 1

I applied paint stripper to one of my wheels today, to try make it silver again. It half worked, but not like I wanted.

So, does anyone know of a company that can refurb alloys - sand blasted or whatever. But without me removing the tyres.

Ideally a company I can drive to in Leeds/Bradford leave it with them for a day or few and come back with shiny wheels again all fitted.

Thanks!

Mayfe I find this exciting becaulse I competed against this guy but surely this is mad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adOuAuMh710

Including stuff like 1:59 which is just flawless overtaking.

The first thing the co driver says when they slow down is "f**k me you're fast. f**k!"

Guy is pretty rapid! Must have been pretty wild for the guy he overtook just having someone sail past you on grass, on the outside...

The feeling of nosing it in on that big jump first time around must be grim - it's bad enough on a bike when you've got something you can do about it, but that "OTB" feeling in a car must be pretty horrible.

Cracking day out yesterday, a run down to Ace Cafe in London from Bristol, all on twisty A roads:

11698589_855832804495834_699901040241522

11201921_855831764495938_476569367191212

No need to see under my bonnet, there's nothing to boast about under there...

11540830_855832601162521_734340320894833

After that, a trip on to Hastings to collect this bargain, £50 brand new, worth £310:

11223529_10155708840565587_5625715303725

So I got a 'new' radiator fan on my car but the overheating in traffic still persists, the old one was properly knackered though! I'm wondering if I have air in my radiator and the fan sensor isn't touching the coolant and therefore takes ages to actually get hot, the car isn't going into the red anymore but is worryingly close. I have bled the system numerous times as I thought this may be the issue but with no luck, perhaps I should do a pressure bleed?

• Like 1

So I got a 'new' radiator fan on my car but the overheating in traffic still persists, the old one was properly knackered though! I'm wondering if I have air in my radiator and the fan sensor isn't touching the coolant and therefore takes ages to actually get hot, the car isn't going into the red anymore but is worryingly close. I have bled the system numerous times as I thought this may be the issue but with no luck, perhaps I should do a pressure bleed?

is the fan kicking in? what state in the radiator in?

air generally bleeds out of cooling systems pretty quick, it wont stop the fan from kicking in.

if the car runs cool under load/moving, id check the fan switch/fan.

Soooooooo, my new manifold doesn't quite fit - looks like the holes are slightly off, so I can't get it to go on all the studs.

I need to remove a couple of mm on some of the holes, what's the best hand tool for the job?

Is there a certain type of file that will be man enough to shave off that amount of material?

Can you get away with drilling them out and then using exhaust paste to seal?

Radiator looks fine, it's been flushed through and there wasn't any significant poop in there. The car sits at 90 degrees when moving suggesting the thermostat is doing its thing, it's only when stationary that the car gets hot. It did stay on the next stage above 90 (I guess about 110 ish) after sitting in traffic and then hitting the dual carriageway it didn't really budge down to 90 until about 15mins later...weird! Thermostat, fan switch and coolant have all been changed in the past year. Could a dieing water pump cause my issue at all?

Can you get away with drilling them out and then using exhaust paste to seal?

Radiator looks fine, it's been flushed through and there wasn't any significant poop in there. The car sits at 90 degrees when moving suggesting the thermostat is doing its thing, it's only when stationary that the car gets hot. It did stay on the next stage above 90 (I guess about 110 ish) after sitting in traffic and then hitting the dual carriageway it didn't really budge down to 90 until about 15mins later...weird! Thermostat, fan switch and coolant have all been changed in the past year. Could a dieing water pump cause my issue at all?

doesnt sound like it. Can you hear the fan kicking in?

really sounds like a fan issue to be honest....

whats the thermostat rated at? 90 degrees sounds a bit to hot for a petrol.....