The Happy Thread

Duncy H

And a few years ago Liverpool was the European capital of culture......

(this is in no way to endorse that up North is better even though it is)

Qatar was also apparently the best place to hold a summer World Cup in a few years time ;)

Anyone claiming that Yorkshire is the best place in the world clearly hasn't spent much time outside Yorkshire.

Did 7000 miles on my bike last year and got all over Britain. Yorkshire/Derbyshire is by far my favourite place, because of the balance of countryside, mountains, amazing roads, nice cities/towns etc.

In fairness, that's just symptomatic of the incredibly shit road network they've got up there. Luckily, with the way that pretty much every f**king road up there seems to have either a 40 or 50mph limit you get a reasonable amount of time to work out where you should be going.

That's utter bollocks. The road network is awesome! You've got 2 major motorways at each side of the country, linked by some of the best driving/riding roads in the country. If you live near Sheffield, for example, you're pretty much perfectly placed for days out touring on motorbikes or whatever because you're in the middle of Britain. You can ride to Lands End or John O'Groats in about 7-9 hours, so holidays are a doddle.

Fair enough you don't like the North, don't come here, but your impression of the roads couldn't be more the opposite of my impression after using them for the last 7 years. :lol:

Did 7000 miles on my bike last year and got all over Britain. Yorkshire/Derbyshire is by far my favourite place, because of the balance of countryside, mountains, amazing roads, nice cities/towns etc.

That's utter bollocks. The road network is awesome! You've got 2 major motorways at each side of the country, linked by some of the best driving/riding roads in the country. If you live near Sheffield, for example, you're pretty much perfectly placed for days out touring on motorbikes or whatever because you're in the middle of Britain. You can ride to Lands End or John O'Groats in about 7-9 hours, so holidays are a doddle.

Fair enough you don't like the North, don't come here, but your impression of the roads couldn't be more the opposite of my impression after using them for the last 7 years. :lol:

When I lived in Hebden Bridge, they changed almost all the roads in the surrounding area to be a maximum of 50mph. It was a similar story over to Bradford, Halifax, Leeds, etc. Largely shit road surfaces, lower speed limits and a lack of visibiltiy in a lot of places (you don't need that many high dry stone walls in one place) don't really make great roads to me, but then I guess I'm probably spoiled by living in Mid Wales before where there are really good roads with great visibility, no pointless 40/50mph limits between towns and no speed cameras. That's why I don't really get the hype with places like Snake Pass - I think of the multiple times I took that route I managed to have about one drive down there where I didn't get held up for ages behind people, or didn't have a speed van on the route somewhere.

I don't really mind the North - I wasn't a huge fan of it but I don't believe in putting a blanket term for anywhere and expect it to be accurate in any way. Just look at Leeds and Bradford - two very closely positioned towns, yet Bradford was pretty much the definition of shit hole (and also the only place I've ever had racist abuse directed at me for being white - fun times), yet Leeds was OK.

EDIT: Also, lol at a selling point of a place being how easy it is to get out of there quickly ;)

When I lived in Hebden Bridge, they changed almost all the roads in the surrounding area to be a maximum of 50mph. It was a similar story over to Bradford, Halifax, Leeds, etc. Largely shit road surfaces, lower speed limits and a lack of visibiltiy in a lot of places (you don't need that many high dry stone walls in one place) don't really make great roads to me, but then I guess I'm probably spoiled by living in Mid Wales before where there are really good roads with great visibility, no pointless 40/50mph limits between towns and no speed cameras. That's why I don't really get the hype with places like Snake Pass - I think of the multiple times I took that route I managed to have about one drive down there where I didn't get held up for ages behind people, or didn't have a speed van on the route somewhere.

I don't really mind the North - I wasn't a huge fan of it but I don't believe in putting a blanket term for anywhere and expect it to be accurate in any way. Just look at Leeds and Bradford - two very closely positioned towns, yet Bradford was pretty much the definition of shit hole (and also the only place I've ever had racist abuse directed at me for being white - fun times), yet Leeds was OK.

EDIT: Also, lol at a selling point of a place being how easy it is to get out of there quickly ;)

Road surfaces in and around Sheffield at the moment are appauling, granted, but if you head North towards Halifax and places like that they seem generally awesome these days. I've not seen a speed van in months to be honest, they seem to be favouring Gatsos and average speed cameras instead. I meant more that the roads are the most fun I've come across within the speed limit anyway. 50mph is often difficult to keep up on a lot of roads, like the Snake Pass has average speed cameras set at 50, and I'm sorry but you've got to be a f**king nutcase to get done on there.

IMO everywhere has pockets of shit, and that whole Leeds/Bradford/Halifax/Huddersfield/Wakefield area is horrible. Head slightly further north into the North Yorkshire Moors or Yorkshire Dales and it's all amazing roads, no cameras and everywhere is national speed limit.

If you want to see the world, then you need to be well placed to access the world, and I feel I am. :P

BWEKFAST.

This?

http://youtu.be/CQsnHISvn3w

I suppose that I don't have too much of a view on the north vs south thing. I'm only 16 so I haven't really done much travelling. I am a south-westerner, but I will admit that Barnoldswick had really nice scenery and locals when I went. I'm just going to take the Swiss viewpoint and remain neutral :P

You may now continue your debate ;)

Edited by onzatpro09

Pros of living up north, more specifically Yorkshire,

Some of the best riding spots in the country

Chips and gravy

Decent beer

Cheap beer

Dan james cox

Nearly all the best TGS riders are from the north

2 major motorways connecting us with the South

2 major railway lines doing the same

World champion Carthy

The south. Hmmm where do I start

No chips and gravy

Shit cloudy cider

Who rolls a cheese down a hill?

Those bellends from the valleys have pretty much ruined my vision of Wales, not that it was any good to start with

Wales has shit draconian policing on all its decent roads.

Bristol is a complete twat to get to, because the M5/M6 is nearly always jammed up around Birmingham

M25 is always busy, because you southern softies are always in a rush to get to where you want to be and end up crashing

London is just a complete nightmare To drive round in anything that's not a bike or moped

The glorious southwest as josh kydd puts it has one major dual carriageway to the bottom of it. And when it gets shut, they are pretty much screwed.

I could carry on, but I've only just got up and I'm on holiday. Visiting Yorkshire people in 'Murica. Edited by bing

• Like 2

Some of the best riding spots in the country the rest of which are in the south

Chips and gravy which you can get in the south

Decent beer you're talking bollocks, and I will happily fight that fight all day long. I know you love a beer, so come down to Lewes and I'll make sure you leave a changed man.

Cheap beer oxymoron

Dan james cox no argument there

Nearly all the best TGS riders are from the north thank f**k ;)

2 major motorways connecting us with the South quick routes for you to get to the better half

2 major railway lines doing the same as above

World champion Carthy world champion of a sport that even people within the sport don't give a toss about

The south. Hmmm where do I start

Wales has shit draconian policing on all its decent roads. wales ≠ the south

Bristol is a complete twat to get to, because the M5/M6 is nearly always jammed up around Birmingham no problem if you're not coming from Birmingham. The only good thing about getting anywhere from Birmingham is that you're leaving Birmingham.

M25 is always busy, because you southern softies are always in a rush to get to where you want to be and end up crashing "in a rush to get where you want to be" so that we can earn the money that bails the north out

London is just a complete nightmare To drive round in anything that's not a bike or moped don't drive, it's got great transport

The glorious southwest as josh kydd puts it has one major dual carriageway to the bottom of it. And when it gets shut, they are pretty much screwed. no need to rush down there, look at the scenery and take regular stops for superior beer.

;)

• Like 2

The glorious southwest as josh kydd puts it has one major dual carriageway to the bottom of it. And when it gets shut, they are pretty much screwed.

This :giggle:

Theres one section of it thats single carridgeway, and there was a news article that says the traffic backs up because 'it flows too well'

Bloody Cornish logic! :P

• Like 1

Wales has shit draconian policing on all its decent roads.

Which roads are they? All the mountain roads in central/south/south west Wales are pretty much all free of fixed speed cameras, and the counties are so large/police so underequipped they usually don't have mobile speed cameras on them either. From reading up on it a while back it sounds like a similar story further up in Wales too, which is probably why so many road tests are filmed/photographed around there.

Also, further lols at adding "It's cheaper to get drunk" to the "It's easy to get out of" plus points of the North :P

That roundabout is ridiculous. Bet it's crash city. The junction at the bottom of the M1 in Leeds used to be pretty bad where bewleys hotel is but they sorted it out a few years ago

Be learned

attachicon.gifTSW.jpg

Strictly speaking, it's "up country" if you're from there :P

On the matter of driving in London, headed from the North, you get to Junction 5 ish M1 when suddenly there's 6 lanes and no f**ker has any idea how to use a motorway anymore, drives me mental! Do Southerners just learn traffic light colours and leave it at that?

Edited by Jolfa
  • Like 1