The Car Thread

MadManMike

Cheers dude. I am back indeed, though it's regatta weekend in Noss so not sure how much I'll be about. Need to pinch Jack and stands from dad as don't have a set here yet. Also waiting on few last bits to arrive (inc mani and top mounts) so more likely be next weekend if you're about?

Beers and BBQ in exchange for your services of course :)

• Like 1

My 24 year old 1.6 gets between 19 and 30 mpg, depending on how much fuel wants to randomly leak from somewhere I can't identify. Some weeks I can get to work and back for £25, other times it's £40.

Meh, it's fun.

UV dye, have a look on eBay for a kit.

20150807_180319_zpsz2qots8l.jpg

Last of my parts finally :)

Glad you enjoyed it! As you said, things like that will come with more time in the car. It takes ages to get fully comfortable with it.

Seeing as though a Mk1 MX5 race car is a good 'barometer' for lap time (hey George :P), they lap Knockhill around 1:05 with about 130-135bhp on cheap road tyres. Lap record for us is a mid 1:03.

Cheers adam. Thats a seriously quick time considering the power. I think if i ditch my passanger and seat haha should see an extra 1-2 seconds a lap hopefully. My pals away to get his celica gt4 up and running again with around 400bhp hes itching to get it on the track after the other day so wont be needing to share the car.

• Like 1

Cheers Luke, Hopefully test them out later tonight once the cars back together!

For the first time since fitting my new clutch (over a year ago now) I have a non mangled valance again, as my last one got caught by my dad when he helped me guide the engine back in.

2015-08-09%2009.43.37_zpslcaaq3g3.jpg

I am currently spraying up the badge panel and my rear valance is ready for primer which I'll collect tomorrow. Next jobs are to make a new exhaust centre mount so the exhaust sits straight, weld my exhaust tip as it rattles and measure up the rear shocks so that I can see if some 'sport' shocks from my old 9-3 fit :) Then the back can go down some more!

Cat B can be brought back roadworthy providing it's been to and passed a VIC check as the ad mentioned.

I repaired a Yaris with front end damage that had been written off cat B and it's now back out on the road as it passed the VIC I took it to

http://www.rac.co.uk/community/blog/rac-blog/september-2011/what-is-an-insurance-write-off ?

I know if someone has died in the vehicle it's an instant trip to the crusher..

Interesting, I presented it to them as a cat b repaired and it went through. Unless I was speaking toff and theyve humoured me

Front is back together again

2015-08-09%2017.14.33_zpsnbyppagr.jpg

Exhaust is now tucked up higher and actually straight again

2015-08-09%2020.27.17%20HDR_zpsctzsneoi.

Welded bush eyes onto the shocks (they had threaded tops), I just need some paint and a shim for the lower bush.

2015-08-09%2022.17.21_zps0jtrkexl.jpg

Tempted by some Beetle rear shocks with added coils, cheap and allows me to stiffen up the rear suspension a touch without faffing with torsion bars... I'll see how these go first!