Clean 001

Mark W

So I've just had a better watch:

post-497-0-93242100-1302906654_thumb.jpg

(photo quality not really representative...)

It's a really inviting video to watch. The first couple of minutes really draw you in and I think that has a lot to do with the actual intro itself - the Clean 'look' is really unique in comparison to so many other vids that come out. The effort that you put into it definitely comes through.

The riding is obviously hench. Enough has been said about Ali already, so I think it's really worth noting how big the 'smaller' riding is in this. Ben clearly isn't a rider who does much in the way of small, and his technical lines are awesome. Everyone is just nailing lines all over the shop! The brakeless stuff is proper inspiring too, almost makes me wanna whip the brakes off for a bit... Not that much though...

I'm in a bit of a constructive criticism mood though, so I've got to point out where I think there could be a couple of improvements.. I really think that you could have included a few of the massive lines in colour - they'd have popped out of the video so much that I think a fair few people watching would have had a Top Gear crisis. Me included. If that postbox wodge (?) line had been in colour, sandwiched between the black and white clips, it would have just taken a next level video to the next next level.

Also I reckon that you could've split the different songs to different geographical locations, much like a lot of the top riding DVDs do. I know there weren't just 3 locations but changing the location with the change of song would have given it a kind story feel, split into chapters. Maybe a bit of the travelling between each or something.

That's absolutely my opinion though, and doesn't take away from the fact that I posted this out on FB as 'probably the best trials video this year so far'. I wouldn't be surprised if it stays that way by December either.

Bloody good job (Y) Essay over.

Love you mark! you make my tip do things... Such a privilege to be in a creatively and awesomely made vid!! I only wish my bike was more together when we filmed as my lines looked a bit sketch hehe :P

AWESOME

Ali c isn't real. Ben Isn't real. And Sammy Dodger is just pure lol.

Overall that was top stuff. I can definitely see that your editing is improving, Mark. I'm picking up on a greater correlation of auditory and visual - something I hold to be one of the cornerstones of a good vid. Also just the general intuitive feel is improving.

I have to admit that the absolute use of black and white doesn't do it for me. Some shots with it are awesome but overall it kinda removes a sort of life from everything. To be fair though, this is the UK and I suspect that, even with colour, our constant grey sky would amount to much the same. I can definitely relate to your artistic choice to choose b+w though. It certainly goes with the style of "Clean".

In terms of framing I thought all of the shots were awesome and especially some of the contextual shots. I'm not overly keen on the amount that a wide angle was used. My philosophy with this has always been that, for trials, the loss of perspective when height or distance play an important role in the move is to be avoided. But then this is always a choice of balance between artistic value and the value of showing it how it is. Artistic value in the sense that the wide angle makes everything look kind've awesome :P

Basically I think the production value is really good but I thought you might be up for some subjective-constructive criticism, Mark :)

Ali's riding was of course amazing. He brings new meaning to the idea of flow on a bike. Everyone was awesome if their own way as well. Not so keen on my own riding of course ^_^:closedeyes:

edit: oh yeah, forgot to add that I thought the type writer intro was awesome. Very tidy.

edit 2: Having watched the downloaded version and experienced higher quality I feel better about the b+w (Y)

Edited by Ben Rowlands

I'm not overly keen on the amount that a wide angle was used.

I think one of the reasons for lots of wide angle is to help reduce the effects of camera shake (although I'm sure Mark will confirm!), so I made a steady-cam last night which should help.

All fair points though Ben and I'm sure Mark will take them on board!

That was fresh as hell that Mark!Great editing.Just simple and to the point.I found it hard to tell who was who but this may of been down to vimeo killing it.To be honest though I like having to guess who's who.I think it showcases the standard of 24 riding at the mo rather than showcasing one person.

Only one question though....wheres your mum in the video?;-)

Edited by trialsalot

Just incredible and inspirational , a really welcome return to the feel of the older era scene with the addition of modern bikes and techniques . Laughably talented riding throughout and expertly captured and edited . Spectacular . Saved to disk , and spammed the Vimeo link to every human I know . Sincerely - thank you for making this , Mr. Westlake .

Thank you for being involved in trials Mark. You do great work.

For so long we saw so little of Ali. It is so good to see recent footage of him. He has always had great style & technique.

Would love to see more Rowan in the next film. Still rocking to '04 Pure...nice

Wow. Ali is just incredible! If I had a tenth of his vision and imagination with lines I'd be a very happy man! I really hope he can push for some full on sponsorship along the lines of what Danny's managed- he deserves it so much!

Overall an awesome video, but pleeeease let me know next time you're hitting Bristol or something as I need these rides in my life!!

Awesome work Mark, Ali and all - was proper good. Had a feel of the old school group exploration rides/vids about it. Great vibe, great edit.

The only thing I would change is to export in H.264 @ 24/25 fps as the 59fps download looks weird with what looks like some shot @59/60 and some @24/25 (?) the vimeo stream looks better to me as it converts it to 24 or 25 I think and makes the look a bit more consistent.

More please.

Oh and love the blog/site.

So I've just had a better watch:

post-497-0-93242100-1302906654_thumb.jpg

(photo quality not really representative...)

It's a really inviting video to watch. The first couple of minutes really draw you in and I think that has a lot to do with the actual intro itself - the Clean 'look' is really unique in comparison to so many other vids that come out. The effort that you put into it definitely comes through.

I'm in a bit of a constructive criticism mood though, so I've got to point out where I think there could be a couple of improvements.. I really think that you could have included a few of the massive lines in colour - they'd have popped out of the video so much that I think a fair few people watching would have had a Top Gear crisis. Me included. If that postbox wodge (?) line had been in colour, sandwiched between the black and white clips, it would have just taken a next level video to the next next level.

Also I reckon that you could've split the different songs to different geographical locations, much like a lot of the top riding DVDs do. I know there weren't just 3 locations but changing the location with the change of song would have given it a kind story feel, split into chapters. Maybe a bit of the travelling between each or something.

I knew with the B+W that firstly it was all or nothing, and that secondly people would either 'get' it or they wouldn't. I don't really know how I'd have been able to select clips to have in colour, and it just sort of seems that if 3-4 clips were in colour it might as well all have been in colour in terms of that vs. the rest of the content on the blog. I guess it would've made it 'pop' more as you said, but I don't know if I really wanted certain things to 'pop' more than others - my whole ethos with it was that I wanted the riding to do the talking. That was why I made it B+W originally - it seems that riding videos are becoming more about the video than the riding, and about the process of filming rather than riding. I knew that by making it just B+W it'd probably annoy a lot of people which I thought would probably be a good thing. The reason Clean isn't affiliated with anything (I know I mentioned TartyBikes/Trialtech/Inspired when it got put online, but that's because without them it wouldn't have worked at all) is that it's basically my view of how I'd like things to be. I love watching Joel, Ben and Ali ride, as well as all the people who made it into the video under the 'Friends' banner. It seems like people don't really know that there's a f**king awesome street scene in the UK that's been lurking under the radar for the past few years, so I wanted to bring that forward. I also like the way BMX and skating videos look (which also partially explains the use of fisheye and the shot choice for the most part), so I wanted to go down that sort of route as it seems to just work better for that type of riding. I didn't really want to split it all into rider sections because everyone seems to be influencing each other and it seemed odd to try and blank that out. A load of the footage from the video was filmed when everyone was just sessioning shit, so I wanted to give it that vibe. Equally, the way that it was filmed was just random days at different places here and there, so I didn't really want to tweak that either.

I'm not just trying to say "you're wrong" with that by the way 'cos I get where you're coming from, just trying to maybe shed a little more light on stuff (Y) I'm glad you liked it anyway.

Love you mark! you make my tip do things... Such a privilege to be in a creatively and awesomely made vid!! I only wish my bike was more together when we filmed as my lines looked a bit sketch hehe

AWESOME

Ali c isn't real. Ben Isn't real. And Sammy Dodger is just pure lol.

Love you too, haha. Now your bike's working we need to get more clips next time ;)

In terms of framing I thought all of the shots were awesome and especially some of the contextual shots. I'm not overly keen on the amount that a wide angle was used. My philosophy with this has always been that, for trials, the loss of perspective when height or distance play an important role in the move is to be avoided. But then this is always a choice of balance between artistic value and the value of showing it how it is. Artistic value in the sense that the wide angle makes everything look kind've awesome :P

I think one of the reasons for lots of wide angle is to help reduce the effects of camera shake (although I'm sure Mark will confirm!), so I made a steady-cam last night which should help.

Ads sorta hit the nail on the head with that to some extent. I grew some balls last week and started using my 18-50 for action stuff on the move and it's a load easier to use than I thought it would be. This whole video's basically been done over the time I've been learning to use my new camera so it's been good in terms of learning what I can do for next time. Like I said before, I love the BMX/skate look which tends to be more fish/motiony than static. I guess I've just watched so many videos like that that it sort of forms how I think of framing stuff so it's just carried over. I really look up to people like Joe Cox, so I guess you can blame them! I'm keen to try and experiment a bit more now though, so hopefully there'll be enough diversity in future. Everyone needs to stop doing longer lines over random stuff too, 'cos trying to compose shots when people are going all over the place is tech with a long lens :P

Thanks for the comments though Ben, and thanks for being involved in it.

Awesome work Mark, Ali and all - was proper good. Had a feel of the old school group exploration rides/vids about it. Great vibe, great edit.

The only thing I would change is to export in H.264 @ 24/25 fps as the 59fps download looks weird with what looks like some shot @59/60 and some @24/25 (?) the vimeo stream looks better to me as it converts it to 24 or 25 I think and makes the look a bit more consistent.

More please.

Oh and love the blog/site.

I'm a total noob with editing/exporting/stuff like that, so I've got a lot to learn. Like I said up there, it was all filmed while I was getting to grips with my 550D so I didn't really know what I was doing with the tech stuff most of the time. Because of that it was filmed in 60fps and 30fps - I was using 1080p/30fps and 720p/60fps at different points, but I've subsequently learnt to not ever do that again if I don't want f**king ball-ache when I'm editing/exporting it. I didn't think about the export settings though, so cheers for the heads up on that. I banged it out as a .wmv 'cos I was pretty much ready to end it all with the amount of grief Premiere gave me. We had a preset from Adam's 7D on there so I just used that and tweaked the bitrate settings to get it vaguely right. Need to get my shit together with exporting for the future. Thanks for mentioning it though, it's useful to know! Cheers for getting in front of the lens too, needs to happen more in future too ;)

Cheers to everyone who's watched it/commented on it, it's a relief to actually get it out there. I sort of thought everyone wouldn't be into it so it's been cool to see it's gone down alright.

In a word: Nice.

I know it fits in with the website, and it kind looked alright - but I really would've preferred it in colour, I think.

Other than that though, excellent. Please try and get Rowan Johns in 002, whenever it happens.

I knew with the B+W that firstly it was all or nothing, and that secondly people would either 'get' it or they wouldn't. I don't really know how I'd have been able to select clips to have in colour, and it just sort of seems that if 3-4 clips were in colour it might as well all have been in colour in terms of that vs. the rest of the content on the blog. I guess it would've made it 'pop' more as you said, but I don't know if I really wanted certain things to 'pop' more than others - my whole ethos with it was that I wanted the riding to do the talking. That was why I made it B+W originally - it seems that riding videos are becoming more about the video than the riding, and about the process of filming rather than riding. I knew that by making it just B+W it'd probably annoy a lot of people which I thought would probably be a good thing. The reason Clean isn't affiliated with anything (I know I mentioned TartyBikes/Trialtech/Inspired when it got put online, but that's because without them it wouldn't have worked at all) is that it's basically my view of how I'd like things to be. I love watching Joel, Ben and Ali ride, as well as all the people who made it into the video under the 'Friends' banner. It seems like people don't really know that there's a f**king awesome street scene in the UK that's been lurking under the radar for the past few years, so I wanted to bring that forward. I also like the way BMX and skating videos look (which also partially explains the use of fisheye and the shot choice for the most part), so I wanted to go down that sort of route as it seems to just work better for that type of riding. I didn't really want to split it all into rider sections because everyone seems to be influencing each other and it seemed odd to try and blank that out. A load of the footage from the video was filmed when everyone was just sessioning shit, so I wanted to give it that vibe. Equally, the way that it was filmed was just random days at different places here and there, so I didn't really want to tweak that either.

I'm not just trying to say "you're wrong" with that by the way 'cos I get where you're coming from, just trying to maybe shed a little more light on stuff (Y) I'm glad you liked it anyway.

You're right, I hadn't thought about it that way really. It would definitely have been an arse to choose which clips to do in which way even if you wanted to. I suppose that'd be easier on a video for just one person than a group vid. My original criticism was all coming with a backdrop of "that's f**king awesome" anyway (Y)

wow! Firstly thanks for the comments about my riding! It makes me want to go and push myself more. Secondly, forgetting that Mark is my friend and neighbour, that video is possibly one of the best edited vids I have seen for a LONG time! The music was perfect, the timing with the riders was perfect, the whole vibe was spot on! Thanks for taking the time to film and edit Mark, it was well worth it!

wow! Firstly thanks for the comments about my riding! It makes me want to go and push myself more.

thanks to you, to watch your riding is amazing. just i'm always impressed how easy you can do hooks :blink: