The Car Thread

MadManMike

Been working on Bessell's car for the last few months, tweaking everything to perfection... He's been putting in plenty of time on Project Cars and a couple of track days too, to get himself fully prepared... Took his first win on Saturday within a very competitive grid of 32 cars - proper chuffed, I love it when teamwork comes together B):D

bigchin.jpg

• Like 7

Well, figured I have nothing to lose so I'll be attempting to repair the civic over the next few weeks or so. 

Reshelling it would be more straight forward in a sense but its money I currently cant spend and the rest of my shell is so clean it would be a waste, added to the fact that whichever shell I may have got hold of would only require the same treatment. N/S rear quarter being the exception of course. 

Taking the rear plastics out to see the extent of the damage from the inside tomorrow and gauge what 'repairs' have been made in the past, hopefully giving me an idea of which way to approach it to remedy it properly. 

If all goes well a lad owes me after a load of work I've done over the last few months and has said in light of the circumstances he's offered to spray the full car at a hugely reduced price, full interior/exterior respray into NH-592p (Starlight Black) 

As illustrated here -

nicole ek9.jpg

Picking up another Micra at the end of the month so theres no rush to get this done, be a learning curve too. The shell is toast as it sits so attempting the repair is better than giving up as a lost cause in my mind. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MadManMike said:

I'd just beat that panel back out to roughly straight and just give it beans around a track. Much like my car, it's never going to be a show car, so make it mechanically sound and just enjoy it :)

Id love to have the mindset to but I like the car too much :( I wanted a clean presentable daily driveable car that can be nobbed round a track once or twice a blue moon. 
Knowing it isnt right would bug me to no end. I know now that obviously the amount of filler that was there meant it wasnt right but it looked well. Taking the oppertunity to do it right while I can have it off the road

Found a VTI shell for £250. All interior, all panels, lights. 

Minus running gear but that doesnt matter!

Bonus is with it being a VTI and having a B16A2 from the factory means insurance will be miles lower than the declared swap into my 1.4 EJ9!

Sorting a transit recovery truck tomorrow, all being well Im going to collect this weekend. 

Edited by SamKidney
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, isitafox said:

I'm going to open a book on how long this car lasts before dying. 

For the best odds going PM me (Y)

Micra is still going, Civic isnt dead just technically a write off.. 

Previous civic is dead and was my fault :lol:

Planning on fixing my bucket seats directly to the subframes I have as the rails seem to be making them flex a lot. Anyone got any ideas on how to do it so they're in a set position, maybe tape them off where they are now against something? 

Cross port from The Angry Thread:

Getting sick of working on my car at the moment... loads of issues and not enough time.

Knocking from drivers side, so went to change drop link and realized lower arm  was fekked. Changed that a week ago and no real improvement.

Changed top strut mount tonight, but drop link gaiter tore on removal, CV boot split right next to clip and pad friction material fell off backing :blink:. Had to abandon car at work, get a lift with my apprentice then will have to spend tomorrow night fixing the above.

In addition to that, drivers side rear handbrake isn't working on caliper....is seized up in the handbrake on position, but pads aren't touching disc? Brake works as normal otherwise though.

Also, headlight switch has broken meaning fogs are always on ( new one en-route ) and windscreen wipers are only on max, no lower speeds and no return to home when switched off. 

Spent Saturdays changing the head gasket on my Mrs. nasty nasty little Peugeot 1.4 16v. Fun times were not had, especially as we spent a solid day doing it a month earlier ( had to be redone because my mate pussied out doing the headbolts to full torque :ermm: haha. Legend for helping me, just shit having to strip it all down again!

Feels like I've spent half my wages this month at the local Auto Factors -_-.

If that wasn't enough to piss around with, the Audi is still sitting outside my Garage with a fekked head / headgasket that I can't do work on... as I'm waiting on a court date to try and extract repair money from the Trader I bought it from and the car potentially could be called in evidence so I can't touch it :( Ongoing since early November, and the cars just deteriorating which is so frustrating.

53 minutes ago, Danny said:

Driveway running gear swap?

This is the plan now. 

Got it hold of a Transit Recovery jobber for the weekend, going for it Sunday. It turns out it has front suspension and hubs, so I only need to bring my rear set up. 

1 hour ago, Danny said:

Do you even need to sort the back end out? Wheels on the front, some dollies under the back.  Drag it on.  Sorted.  Drink Beer.

May be an idea if the full bed tilts and slides down to the ground. 

Home for 2 weeks thought it was about time to fit new intake was a bit of a faff to get on but got there in the end. Took it out for a wee spin dunno if i notice much difference will need to keep an eye on the temps and get it on the dyno see if any power changes. But think i mite modify the front bumper to put in a cold air feed more air the better.

IMG-20160407-WA0009.jpeg

• Like 1

Obligatory clone of menial boringness:

Got the head mostly back together again with new VVT tensioner and timing chain. 16 pins between marks as per Bentley
manual.

20160331_201613_zpsvbxnfapv.jpg

Back up here again for a couple of months with work.

20160403_160804_zpsth0m1ylx.jpg

Few fun cars on the way up.

20160403_173353_zpsp842azza.jpg

Multistory on base is all well and good, but ramps are a little steeper than ideal and my (roughly stock height) front
bumper is not a fan.

20160409_173634_zpsaaxxp6rd.jpg

20160409_154927_zpspqvpwmyr.jpg

Fortunately there's a small outdoor section that only requires one change of level to get out of. Also has the bonus
of one slightly larger space in the corner, which I've unofficially nabbed in an attempt to stay a little further away
from idiots.

20160409_173527_zpszp0xmpbf.jpg

It hasn't worked.

20160404_065840_zpsevlbijmx.jpg

There's absolutely NOTHING to do here, not even a garage on base I can play around in. Some fairly scenic drives are
about the only thing keeping me vaguely sane at the moment.

12966835_10101083745823412_574815329_n_z

123_zps2vevxxtv.png

• Like 2