Ryan Leech - Why.

bike_dummie

'Visually appealing' and 'special' whilst on screen at the time he's riding comp chomp on a log.

I respect Leechs riding generally but he's so full of shit it hurts.

He seems to think that people are in some way interested in his life beyond seeing his riding...

which is a mistake

• Like 1

He seems to think that people are in some way interested in his life beyond seeing his riding...

which is a mistake

And some people aren't even interested in his riding... I started watching that yesterday on PB: laughed at how awkward he looked just turning on his back wheel on that wall at the start, fast forwarded the making tea bit and turned it off shortly after.

I feel for Ryan. He is such a good rider, and I appreciate that he has his own perception on how life should be lived, but he really needs to stick out a video that shows off his riding.

Its like one of those self obsessed christians who constantly try to convert your faith.

• Like 5

I feel for Ryan. He is such a good rider, and I appreciate that he has his own perception on how life should be lived, but he really needs to stick out a video that shows off his riding.

Its like one of those self obsessed christians who constantly try to convert your faith.

Well the Christians you encountered certainly didn't want to convert you to their church - in fact i'm fairly sure it was the complete opposite. :)

• Like 3

I guarantee if you put him on a modern bike he'd hang with the best.

But yeah, I wish he'd release a street vid, 3 minutes will do me.

I really tried to listen to what he was saying but he just lost me, can someone summarise? About the pressures, regretting extreme career moves etc.

Edited by LEON
  • Like 1

I couldn't make out much of that either. All I could really hear was the "pssssh" sound of sand pouring out of his vagina.

EDIT: To be serious, I think he was talking about the pressures of performing at a high level at demos, and having to push his riding. I think he may have been implying that by doing the really "extreme" moves he'd done for video parts that he raised the bar for his own riding and felt pressure to keep up to that, but it was hard to really work out because it was interspersed with all that 'integrated spirituality' mumbo jumbo.

• Like 3

EDIT: To be serious, I think he was talking about the pressures of performing at a high level at demos, and having to push his riding. I think he may have been implying that by doing the really "extreme" moves he'd done for video parts that he raised the bar for his own riding and felt pressure to keep up to that, but it was hard to really work out because it was interspersed with all that 'integrated spirituality' mumbo jumbo.

Exactly this. I'm sure all professional riders feel this, especially trials and BMX as they have to preform more and more extreme/technical 'tricks' in order to evolve and push the sport forward, and keep sponsors and fans happy...

Exactly this. I'm sure all professional riders feel this, especially trials and BMX as they have to preform more and more extreme/technical 'tricks' in order to evolve and push the sport forward, and keep sponsors and fans happy...

That may be the case for some but I don't really think it can be applied to Ryan... at least not in the extreme/dangerous side of things. He's been doing the same stuff since I started riding in the late 90's!

The haters of the haters, hating.

Well that's f**king ironic.

It just didn't do anything for me as a video. I don't know whether it was just the editing or what Ryan happened to come out with, but it just seemed pretty superficial (which is in itself ironic bearing in mind it's supposedly a spiritual thing). It could have pretty much just been summed up as "Being a pro rider can be shit sometimes", but instead it did the same thing almost all of Ryan's latest videos have done which is try and push that faux-spiritual gig yet again. Speaking as one of the 'audience' that Ryan refers to, it seems easier than ever for riders to show themselves as being a human being thanks to the way sponsors push for media content that shows off the 'behind the scenes' side of riding and their lives. For example, if you look at Darren Berrecloth, he's been doing the MTB thing for a long time now as a contest rider and video rider, but he's had some pretty cool videos that have come out showing more about his life (e.g. the Red Bull Playgrounds video he did relatively recently). It's the same with Danny in many ways too, in that he's had quite a lot of not-riding videos out there on TV and online. Back when Evolve came out, that was the first time I'd ever seen Ryan, Jeff Lenosky, etc. and I didn't know anything about them at all. There wasn't really much information online, and there weren't really any other videos I could watch as I couldn't get hold of any other VHS tapes featuring them and web videos didn't really exist much. Now, people can see riders online then instantly get linked to other videos featuring them that explain more about what it's like to be in their position.

The things Ryan's saying appear to be the things he's been saying for the past few years, and it seems to be exactly the same riding he's been doing for the past few years. He refers to the need for change but nothing about what he's doing appears to have changed at all judging from the videos he's put out and demo footage that shows up online. I'm sure he's a great person and all, but in terms of being a 'personality' and trying to 'teach' people it doesn't really seem to come across that well online.

In the not so many years I've been riding I don't think I've seen a video of this guy thats impressed as such, and this video with all its ramble of spirtituality just bores me, and from the looks of it everyone else.

As it's been said previous if he'd bang out a video of him actually riding and his 'progression' which I've personally seen none of, maybe he'd then be able to ramble on in the background if he's so involved with that side of things, surely his sponsors must recognize some sort of skill fade, especially with how much trials has progressed in recent years, I reckon he needs a good shake up and slap to show what riding he can actually do in a proper bike, not just him at shows riding along a wall. Thats my two cents anywho...

Edited by T-Proboy13

In 1998 when Revolution came out & we all first saw him ride, he was incredible, soooo ahead of his time, one of the very best in the world, he stayed at the top for a while.

But I'm pretty sure he has the balls & skills to still be at the sharp end these days too, even more so if he had a modern bike, but yeah he chose to demo & do what he does instead of pushing things further.

He just doesn't take the big risks anymore, he's still ridiculously precise though, I mean how many people on earth are riding/ gapping between chains?

• Like 3