The House Thread

dann2707

We are 3 months into the renovation of the house we moved into at the end of November. One thing that we ended up doing was look for a house that needed a lot of work! Part of that was after our first house purchase being so stressful with trying to be the one to get it going for stuff that is less popular because it needs a lot done became more appealing. We had no competition buying this and was able to purchase well under the guide price leaving us plenty of cash to get it done up. I hated the going up against others and then the wait and then repeat. Good luck all with your purchases, I am glad I’m out the other side and not planning to buy / sell for a long time after this house if finished!!

13 hours ago, Ali C said:

just found out that my (to be) brother-in-laws partners parents also went to look at the house and I think have put an offer in :( they recently sold their house for over 400k so can just buy it outright. I'd be pretty pissed if they got it. Apparently they heard that someone has put in a stupidly large offer, not sure how true this is but it's looking less and less likely we'll get it.

I'd say get friendly with the agent and play on the fact it's your first house together and how ideal that property would be, the agent may then put in a good word with the vendor who may like your story more.

It worked with me with our first place, we won out over someone who wanted to rent it out and who was offering more.

Good luck with it all.

56 minutes ago, ArcticBeast said:

I'd say get friendly with the agent and play on the fact it's your first house together and how ideal that property would be, the agent may then put in a good word with the vendor who may like your story more.

It worked with me with our first place, we won out over someone who wanted to rent it out and who was offering more.

Good luck with it all.

We actually got shown the house by the vendor and did our best to charm them haha. We were the first people to view it and they admitted that by the time more and more people view it they’ll be less and less excited so we got to talk to them at the best point lol 

On 23/02/2021 at 0:30 PM, J.KYDD said:

How people live in the South East really is beyond me

Just catching up on this thread, but I'd just like to go back and agree with this haha

Being single and self employed is not great down here. I always thought I'd stay at home a bit longer (which during a pandemic where i have lost 6 months work has been a secret god sendactually), to save a bit more, but no matter what I save, it wont make a dent, so giving up on that theory and will probably just have to put up with high rent.
One of the problems down here is that London is "expanding" Ashford is the nearest big town town to me (30min drive) , and because that has a high speed rail link to central london (40min) and is close to the m20, a lot of former london residents are moving there and commuting in. Also, my area is a relitively quite, seaside place and we're now getting a lot of london workers buying second homes or holiday homes here, which is driving up the price around here too.

The moving up north option seems to be the only logical step right now!

Eventually I would hope to end up closer to the coast in the proper southwest... 

thread side tangent: as the sheds nearing electrics I’m thinking about home automations, I’ve got some serious space issues for lights so it’s going to be very thin led jobs with drivers in the walls rather than ceiling. Want dimmable smart control and came across Shelley WiFi bits n bobs. Anyone using anything like that anywhere at home? In fact just general ideas for things to automate that have had a positive impact? I want to probably make some automated thermal blinds at some point - maybe triggering off a door sensor to the garden. Maybe heating if I have just an electric heater. 

Considered a diesel heater? Might work out cheaper than electric, the Chinese clones are dirt cheap now.

Says me who refused to buy a Chinese heater with chinglish instructions for the van and paid four* times the price for a webasto :rolleyes:

*and that was still a third of the RRP for the webasto heater

:blink:

Ok, our offer got rejected. Our 183k offer (3k over the home report evaluation) was the lowest offer they got. We didn’t get the exact figures but they hinted that the accepted offer was ~240k! That’s 60k over the houses value, people are crazy! 

the hunt continues, I’m getting pretty eager to get out of this house, it’s no fun living with the in-laws and the upstairs neighbors suck, the teenage lad thinks he’s a gangster and plays shit rap whenever he’s in and smokes weed which stinks out this house too and him Mum snores like a jackhammer every night from 9pm onwards... I’m not sure how much more I can take 

1 hour ago, Ali C said:

Ok, our offer got rejected. Our 183k offer (3k over the home report evaluation) was the lowest offer they got. We didn’t get the exact figures but they hinted that the accepted offer was ~240k! That’s 60k over the houses value, people are crazy! 

the hunt continues, I’m getting pretty eager to get out of this house, it’s no fun living with the in-laws and the upstairs neighbors suck, the teenage lad thinks he’s a gangster and plays shit rap whenever he’s in and smokes weed which stinks out this house too and him Mum snores like a jackhammer every night from 9pm onwards... I’m not sure how much more I can take 

Hi Ali long time no see/speak! Hard luck on the rejected offer, but I've found things like this always iron themselves out. We've had offers rejected on places we thought we've loved but then there is always another house around the corner that comes up, for the right price that'll suit you more. Fingers crossed it'll be the same story for you!

Andy

On 2/22/2021 at 11:24 PM, matt slegg said:

Very interesting reading this thread. Myself and wife are both self employed and have been for 15 years and its always been impossible to get a mortgage even with a huge deposit. We live in the South East where you need at least £300k to get 2 bed house! 

It makes us so angry that self employed people are so badly penalised however we are fine to pay over £1000 each month in rent! 

We just looked at a shared ownership property nearby that is £300k but we are just waiting to find out how much of it we could potentially afford. Id rather not do shared ownership but its better than renting forever.

We are both seriously considering moving up north just because properties are so much cheaper. The only hard bit is having to close our business (hair salon) and start all over again. 

House prices in the South East are crazy. 

Blame your parents generation for being penalized, that generation f..ked it up with their self cert mortgage applications....

5 hours ago, Ali C said:

Hang on in there... your not even at the most frustrating part yet which is waiting for solicitors to do the checks/searches... at that point your patience will be tested!

are you looking for a forever home or just a step on the market? 

23 hours ago, Ali C said:

Holy balls.