The Top Gear Thread

Smo™

12 hours ago, Mark W said:

That's basically who he is though - it's who he was when he was presenting the Big Breakfast, it's who he was presenting TFI Friday, etc.  That seems to be why they signed him up as he'd bring 'energy' to the show and has an interest in cars/has the money to buy lots of cars.

I just can't really stand him, and just hearing him trying to bite Jeremy Clarkson's style on the intro was too much.

He just doesn't seem like the right choice for the show at all, you wouldn't let Christiano Ronaldo present the show just because he has enough money to own a lucrative car collection. 

I agree, this is a similar situation to the UK vs the US 'The Office'. The US one was remade initially as the UK one with a different cast and everyone hated it until the show worked out that they had to change the style to suit the characters they chose. It wasn't until a few season in when they took a different direction with it that it became good.  

• Like 2

I feel like that the first two episodes should have had at least a epic race or a ridiculous "build your own car" challenge to try and get people to keep watching. As far as silliness goes the first two episodes didn't have enough.

I actually enjoyed the 2nd episode. Still a long way to go, but now I've got my head around the fact that they're sticking to that format I can give them a chance to grow into it. 

Just watched the 2nd one and it was very nearly as bad as the first in my opinion. Cringeworthy in places, the interview side of things is just shit and random, the Africa trip was pointless and missed out on sections that could've made it remotely interesting and just overall very unimpressed. Most likely won't bother with the next one. The single redeeming feature was Jenson.

• Like 1

Shit the bed even Eddie Jordan managed to come across as a witty and intelligent human being in that show when compared to Chris Evans. I wonder how balls deep the bbc have committed themselves?

• Like 1

But top gear has always been about the presenters and not the cars. This weeks episode was pretty dull for me, but was probably an excellent episode for car enthusiasts. 

You are aware it's been around for longer than Clarkson, Hammond and May were doing it, right?  Either way, if they want to carve out their own niche so it's not just endless posts on FB about "ur neva b as gd as the others" they have to try and actually do something differently, so getting someone to do 'proper' stuff every now and again makes sense.  Don't worry - you'll still get to see Clarkson getting paid to pretend to have inflammatory views when The Grand Tour comes out ;)

39 minutes ago, Mark W said:

You are aware it's been around for longer than Clarkson, Hammond and May were doing it, right?  Either way, if they want to carve out their own niche so it's not just endless posts on FB about "ur neva b as gd as the others" they have to try and actually do something differently, so getting someone to do 'proper' stuff every now and again makes sense.  Don't worry - you'll still get to see Clarkson getting paid to pretend to have inflammatory views when The Grand Tour comes out ;)

I am aware but I'd consider that an entirely different show. But I don't really consider the last 3 episodes a new show. But secretly I just want this to be a massive failure so I might be bias.

7 hours ago, Tony Harrison said:

it is a new show

Except that it's absolutely not, and that's what disappointed me about it. They needed to go back to basics and then bring the entertainment after.

It pains me to say, but Chris Harris absolutely nailed what Top Gear should be now in his piece. 

Still planning to watch it, but looking forward to The Grand Tour more now. 

12 hours ago, Tony Harrison said:

Ok by 'new' I meant 'different' or 'not the same'. As in, it's changed, live with it.

But I think JD is saying it hasn't really changed, just a few new blokes with all the same jokes.

Thought this one was the best so far. Chris Harris's Ferrari segment was by far the best part of any of the shows so far in my opinion. 

I am kinda annoyed with the show in a few ways, I'd have much preferred it if they approached it with a bit more honesty, by that I mean acknowledged those before them and moved on into a new direction. Instead they've just tried to copy and be louder. It's still brilliantly filmed at times and fantastic cars and I do believe it will only get better.

It really frustrated me that for months and months before it had even been aired people had already given up on it and not given it a chance. Also all these people still moaning left right and centre while just bumming The Grand Tour trio. Yes they'll likely make a great show anyway with dicking about in it so they're going to get their entertainment anyway but they need to get over the fact actual Top Gear is different now.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MadManMike said:

So if it hasn't changed, why are so many people saying it's now shit? :P

To be fair, it was shit and pointless before Clarkson and the rest left...

The problem as I see it is that they've removed a lot of the better bits from the old stuff and the stuff they've kept has been screwed up. No news section, the interviews are just a complete clusterf**k of appallingness and then things like the Ken Block section was just pointless. They didn't say anything at all about the car, Ken just cheesy dialogue between the two.

I didn't bother watching it on Sunday but did catch up on iPlayer on Monday and it was the best so far but still really cringeworthy in places.

I've not watched it yet, but do plan to.

I wasn't really a fan of Jezza or the other two, but I do feel like they made the show what it was. I honestly think when Clarkson left, Top Gear died. In the same way that if a band splits up, you can't get five random musicians together and call them the same band.

Not saying they can't keep a show going, but I don't think they should have kept the same format. From what I've heard on here and Facebook, they seem to be trying too hard to keep the old TG going - I'll judge for myself once I've watched it.